chip fat (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how many people actualy use chip oil as derv.
thinking of using 50/50 mix to see what it does.
veg oil at booker cash and carry is £17.99 for 20 ltr so it sounds very viable to me:thumb: but at what cost to the engine.:Eeek:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
veg oil at booker cash and carry is £17.99 for 20 ltr so it sounds very viable to me:thumb: but at what cost to the engine.:Eeek:

Yes, I have used it for several years now. 100% summer 50% winter.
Depends on age of vehicle, Pre 97 change fuel pipes as they are rubber and will perish after 97 Fuel pipes ok as they are synthetic.
Rudolf Diesel’s first engine ran on peanut oil at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1900 much to the astonishment of scientists and engineers. Even then he could see the advantages in agriculture and for the environment. But he died before his vision of vegetable oil powered engines became a reality.

While on a boat trip to England in 1913 to discuss the possibility of converting our submarine fleet to diesel he disappeared. A few days later, his body was found floating in the English Channel.

The English papers were full of stories of his assassination by French operatives who obviously didn’t want the British submarine fleet converted. The French fleet had already converted by 1905.

The petroleum industry was quick to capitalize and offer a cheap alternative by labelling one of its by-products as “ diesel fuel”. And so that's how dirty, stinking, polluting diesel fuel became the fuel for the Diesel engine and vegetable oil as greener cleaner less toxic fuel supply was forgotten, or buried by the oil companies.

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Yes, I have used it for several years now. 100% summer 50% winter.
Depends on age of vehicle, Pre 97 change fuel pipes as they are rubber and will perish after 97 Fuel pipes ok as they are synthetic.

QUOTE]

Is that it? Straight in the tank? Nothing else to consider?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi' all,
My 92 laika has a 2.5 d would the fuel lines not have been changed as its a long time (100,000 miles).The last owner told me he added 50% to his diesel but i haven't tryed it yet as it seems to run ok and i worry that something will go wrong!!!!
rod.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It works great but for every litre of oil add a cap full of white spirit!

So what does white sprit do ?
terry
I know someone who has been running on kerosine (1992 shogun ) for 7 yrs and about 130,000 m;s He gets 45 gal drums from his work and adds 1 gal of oil (also from his work) now that is cheap motoring,but never fancied it myself :ROFLMAO: having said that if I could get it all for free I think I would join him
:ROFLMAO:

Barry

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
Chip oil

I was told at my garage that the fuel pumps could be damaged

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007

I was told that if I masterbated as a youth I would go blind and grow hairs on the palms of my hand:ROFLMAO:

at 65 I can see and my palms are as bald as my head:ROFLMAO:

I say again. Been using it for years (without the white spirit). straight in from bottle/drum to tank.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
true but not all pumps Bosch pumps are fine CAV a real no no but read the on line advice just google SVO straight vegetable oil. Bio diesel has added sulphur and other additives I believe.You do need to read and learn first. It all starts with a google!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A

alucard

Deleted User
veggie oil

Hi John, if a TDI it is not recommended check out details below
http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/wp-content/svo-english.pdf
http://www.elsbett.de/forms/ekit
My old merc 508 ticks all the boxes and has a fuel heater installed, only run myself at 25% but supposed to be OK on 100% in summer at least, smells wonderful

Hi Wildman read your post with interest and would like to know please what type of fuel heater you are using?.

As i am thinking of trying to run my 1987 merc 207d fitted with the 616 motor on a blend of 20% veg oil and 80%derv.
Was your filter easy to install? and what sort of price would one be to buy?.

Thanks in advance ALUCARD.:thumb::thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jules8888

Deleted User
I'm Running on Vegetable Oil

Hello - I run a Hymer motorhome with a Citroen TD engine and use a Merc 190 Diesel as my daily runabout. The Merc engine has done over 150,000 miles. I though Mr Brown and BP were taking the Micky at £1.30 a litre and I began using pure veg oil (100%) in the car two months ago at £20 for 20 litres.

Other than smelling like a chippy on wheels the drive is just the same as is the power. I haven't used it in the Hymer yet.

A bit of white spirit is useful in cold weather to avoid clogging (so I've read) but I'm not using it myself as the weather is warm enough to keep it flowing freely.

So in short, try it in your motor and give the monopolies the finger and save a few bob too. ( P.S. it is biodiesel and not veg oil that causes engine problems due to its additives).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Wildman read your post with interest and would like to know please what type of fuel heater you are using?.

As i am thinking of trying to run my 1987 merc 207d fitted with the 616 motor on a blend of 20% veg oil and 80%derv.
Was your filter easy to install? and what sort of price would one be to buy?.

Thanks in advance ALUCARD.:thumb::thumb:

Sorry can't help with the fuel heater as it was fitted when I bought the van. I have actually used it at 50% this summer without switching on the heater I have been told 100% is OK in the summer, no change to the filter as the fuel heater is in the fuel tank. I use SVO straight from the supermarket shelves, no recycled (yet) and not bio fuel. (don't like the additives. Without a heater I will replace fuel with straight diesel for winter use.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hello - I run a Hymer motorhome with a Citroen TD engine and use a Merc 190 Diesel as my daily runabout. The Merc engine has done over 150,000 miles. I though Mr Brown and BP were taking the Micky at £1.30 a litre and I began using pure veg oil (100%) in the car two months ago at £20 for 20 litres.

Other than smelling like a chippy on wheels the drive is just the same as is the power. I haven't used it in the Hymer yet.

A bit of white spirit is useful in cold weather to avoid clogging (so I've read) but I'm not using it myself as the weather is warm enough to keep it flowing freely.

So in short, try it in your motor and give the monopolies the finger and save a few bob too. ( P.S. it is biodiesel and not veg oil that causes engine problems due to its additives).
SVO can cause problems when it gets colder due to increased viscocity and some fuel pumps will suffer damage, filters need changing more often with SVO

B

bedbug

Deleted User
chip fat!

I have a new fiat and so I phoned them and thy stated if if it is a 130 multijet you can run 5% veg oil 95% diesil no problem.
I have also run a Hymer at 50%.(10,000 miles.) Wentworth 50% 11,000. with no adverse effects. Same MPG,same performance.NO SMELL.had both vehicles MOT'D with less emisions.
I did an interview on SAGA radio also a full page interview in Practical Motorhome. Look up www.veg oil on the net you will be availed of all the facts.
Only use pure oil NOT from the " CHIPPY " as you have to strain it and add an acid to it to get rid of the animal fat then strain it again. IT STILL SMELLS! So just use the pure stuff. If you ring the Tech department of all the major vehicle makes the will be only to glad to help and give you the safe mix.
If you see "BEDBUG" parked up come and have a chat.
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back