Tool Kit (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Just wondered if Funsters generally carry a mechanics tool kit with them or am I kidding myself that given modern vehicles have engine management systems which I know nothing about and not particularly interested in interfering with - would I be wasting my time as a DIY enthusiast, as well as wasting carrying capacity? Look forward to your advice

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I find this fixes most problems :Smile:

sledgehammer.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
I do carry a few tools; a socket set, some spanners, pliers, screwdrivers etc. Some electrical stuff like a small digital multimeter, some wire, fuses, to sort any possible electrical problems in the van. You're not likely to be able to do much to the engine but you never know what might happen on a long trip. I've used mine a few times (mainly on my old van which I've now replaced), and its been useful.

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think it was Geo who some time ago detailed the contents of a MH tool kit as:

Duct Tape
WD40

The thinking being:
If it moves when it shouldn't.......Duct Tape
If it doesn't move when it should....WD40.

Good advice, methinks.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I think it was Geo who some time ago detailed the contents of a MH tool kit as:

Duct Tape
WD40

The thinking being:
If it moves when it shouldn't.......Duct Tape
If it doesn't move when it should....WD40.

Good advice, methinks.
This is what you mean John...
images

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You are asking people who are mostly old and although probably have enough knowledge to sort out a breakdown call the rescue service now as they "are not as young as they use to be".
I know that is not all of you but I bet its quite a large number :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You are asking people who are mostly old and although probably have enough knowledge to sort out a breakdown call the rescue service now as they "are not as young as they use to be".
I know that is not all of you but I bet its quite a large number :Eeek:

Very fair point I'm nearly 68 myself fortunately very fit -Think your suggested solution is the one I'll probably use too:Blush::Blush:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Buy a small toolbox, and put one of these in. :winky::winky:

Attachments

• aa.gif
    aa.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I carry a heavy duty socket set and long bars,12 t bottle jack for changing a wheel / not sure if I would be able to get b, jack under van if tyres flat ::bigsmile: a ajustable spanner (2) along with a couple of screwdrivers, tape, fuses etc, a set of 18v drill jigsaw and grinder simply because it's only slightly larger then the drill set on it's own :winky: used for drilling holes in ground for windbreaks,a small 12v compressor in case the one on the van breaks and fails to blow up rear suspension.After all that I don't intend using any of them, but they are there just in case ::bigsmile: more likly to use moby phone for RAC :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i always carry a SMALL TOOL BOX and i include , duct tape, wd 40, cable ties, and an array of bits and pieces. you'd be surprised what ingenuity you have when the chips are down.:Blush:

but

i also have a list of telephone numbers & contacts:thumb:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I carry a heavy duty socket set and long bars,12 t bottle jack for changing a wheel / not sure if I would be able to get b, jack under van if tyres flat ::bigsmile: a ajustable spanner (2) along with a couple of screwdrivers, tape, fuses etc, a set of 18v drill jigsaw and grinder simply because it's only slightly larger then the drill set on it's own :winky: used for drilling holes in ground for windbreaks,a small 12v compressor in case the one on the van breaks and fails to blow up rear suspension.After all that I don't intend using any of them, but they are there just in case ::bigsmile: more likly to use moby phone for RAC :thumb:
terry

Er, could you let me have your phone number?? Just for emergencies, of coarse.......:winky::winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I carry all sorts of tools and repair items and know how to use them......

I also pay a fortune for RAC arrivals breakdown cover.

Why have a dog and bark yourself ! :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Define old please.

Think it must be an attitude not a number because after all with the expected onset of senility I might not recall the number!:Doh::Doh:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
my tool kit.

compressor (capable of blowing up the tyres)
Battery charger
1KW generator to power above & for EHU
pliers, hammer, zip ties, large/medium adjustable spanner, plumbers grips, multimeter, various screwdrivers, torx /allen keys, socket set, wire, rope, hose, water pump, various hose adaptors, screws, split pins, PTFE tape, Dremmel mini drill, & bits , self amalgamating tape, various jubilee clips, wire brush, saw, spanner set, razor blade cutter, funnels, bits of water pipe etc ...and lastly duct tape & wd 40 and spray grease.

Brittania rescue aint gonna fix your plumbing or leccy, and if you are abroad these kind of problems are more difficult to deal with and will burn up your holiday time.....best get it fixed straight away by having the right tools there and then.:thumb:

I am also setting up a wireless ODB scan system so I can keep an eye on engine management issues via android & pc software.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
my tool kit.

compressor (capable of blowing up the tyres)
Battery charger
1KW generator to power above
pliers, hammer, zip ties, large/medium adjustable spanner, plumbers grips, multimeter, various screwdrivers, torx /allen keys, socket set, wire, rope, hose, water pump, various hose adaptors, screws, split pins, PTFE tape, Dremmel mini drill, & bits , self amalgamating tape, various jubilee clips, wire brush, saw, spanner set, razor blade cutter, funnels, bits of water pipe etc ...and lastly duct tape & wd 40 and spray grease.

Brittania rescue ainit gonna fix your plumbing or leccy, and if you are abroad these kind of problems are more difficult to deal with and will burn up your holiday time.....best get it fixed straight away by having the right tools there and then.:thumb:

I follow this idea, except for the generator. Most little breakdowns have been with the habitation side where the AA would not be helpful. Probably the most used items are a 1kg hammer for banging in pegs and the multimeter. I also carry a 12v soldering iron and one of those extending magnets with a light on the end for retrieving things dropped in inaccessible places.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Cable ties are good for many uses so always carry a range of sizes. I once completed a European tour with my exhaust held on by cable ties (big ones) as the rubber doughnuts had perished or dropped off.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just wondered if Funsters generally carry a mechanics tool kit with them or am I kidding myself that given modern vehicles have engine management systems which I know nothing about and not particularly interested in interfering with - would I be wasting my time as a DIY enthusiast, as well as wasting carrying capacity? Look forward to your advice

Duct tape
Multitool
Cable Ties

:thumb:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i only carry the basics to fix anything in the hab area and the obligatory wd40 and easy start along with a code reader. anything else is a job for the breakdown boys and girls. im doing my bit by keeping them employed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i only carry the basics to fix anything in the hab area and the obligatory wd40 and easy start along with a code reader. anything else is a job for the breakdown boys and girls. im doing my bit by keeping them employed

Can I ask why the code reader and can the use of it be easily taught/learned?
Thanks
Ian

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The code reader can be useful to diagnose problems and can clear fault codes. Although I carry one I don't think I have the expertise so would only attempt it in dire straights.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I carry all of the above and more :thumb:

The large bottle jack got used to jack up the front wheels one at a time and put planks under when I got stuck and no one there to assist with a tow.

The socket set was used to adjust a door that wouldn't close easily and definitely wouldn't lock. not just for use under the bonnet.

Duct tape, wd 40, cable ties, spare push fittings for plumbing, cable, fuse holders, crimps...................... The list goes on and on and on.

AS well as the toolkit in the pictures I have 4 other boxes full of tools, parts and spares.

However i am a fulltimer so don't have a garage at home :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• tools1.jpg
    tools1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 21
  • tools2.jpg
    tools2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 20
  • tools3.jpg
    tools3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
  • tools4.jpg
    tools4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Can I ask why the code reader and can the use of it be easily taught/learned?
Thanks
Ian
the code reader just plugs into the OBDII socket to the right of the steering wheel above the fuses. sends all the data to my phone or laptop and allows me to read any codes if the engine plays up or a warning light comes on. i can then reset the codes and rescan to see if it was just a blip or if the van does need an expensive repair.

using it is not damaging and is as simple as plugging it in, reading the code and looking up what it means on the internet. if you can use a phone or computer you can easily use a code reader. saves a fortune when resetting the service light alone can cost £50 a time. plus if you know whats wrong a garage is going to have a harder time ripping you off. not that they all do of course

ive got photos of the socket and reader somewhere if they will help

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
i always carry a SMALL TOOL BOX and i include , duct tape, wd 40, cable ties, and an array of bits and pieces. you'd be surprised what ingenuity you have when the chips are down.:Blush:

but

i also have a list of telephone numbers & contacts:thumb:

Ditto:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back