Cheapest way to book channel crossing (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I haven't traveled on the Dover route for some years, and the last time was with a folding camper. Then we tended to book early to get the best deals, usually travelling late May early June.
This year will be the first with a motorhome, so my questions are when is the best time to book, tunnel or ferry, and what would be a realistic price to aim for.
Cheers
Sid

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
We have sailed with them all, but for some reason we always end up with DFDS direct.
More often than not they have the cheapest crossings but it dose pay to book early if possible. One of the main reasons is they is no hassle and everything is straightforward.
Some like the ferries and some like the tunnel, it just depends weather or not you are time limited or just want the cheapest crossing.
Normally at the spring motorhome show at the NEC there is a stand for Norfolk line DFDS and they give out discount codes some end up on this site so keep an eye on the forum after the show.
Booked my crossing in november for 13th Jan 14 £88 return.

Hope this helps
Regards

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Some info here-

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Shop at tesco and save the club card points for treble value for up to free tunnel crossings

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can book all the routes online and therefore see what the cost is going to be and compare them. However, some, if not possibly all of them, may have some clever tricks up their sleeve.

For example, look at routes on Brittany Ferries to see prices then try again a little later and you might find the prices are higher. The explanation I was told was the site puts a cookie on your PC/laptop and if it thinks you are interested, because you have visited their site more than once, it tries to get you to pay more.

Is this true? I'm not one hundred per cent sure, could be an urban myth like gas attacks but certainly you can see price differences appearing over a very short space of time and I know of people who clear all cookies after visiting a ferry website.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I haven't traveled on the Dover route for some years, and the last time was with a folding camper. Then we tended to book early to get the best deals, usually travelling late May early June.
This year will be the first with a motorhome, so my questions are when is the best time to book, tunnel or ferry, and what would be a realistic price to aim for.
Cheers
Sid

Book early for cheaper prices. I usually book direct with the operator web site. Dover Straight crossings are currently very cheap, even for summer holiday periods. I'm also thinking of going over in June. Currently the cost for my 5 tonne Winnebago with 3 children, comes in at £98 return.

Tunnel is quick and easy, but more expensive and boring. Remember that there are LPG limits which will affect you if you have an LPG engine conversion or a large fixed tank.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive just been looking for late july out return early aug, (same unit/people/ time as last year) and prices seem to be 20/30% higher than last year?

I'll wait for show promotions and check again

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The way with the least amount of hassle (the smoothest & quickest) has definitely got to be the Tunnel.

1. Collect Tesco vouchers (get enough and your crossing will be paid for by the vouchers multiplied by 3)

2. Decide when you want to go and start looking at their prices 3 months before your trip

3. Check which day is the lowest price, it always seems to be Tuesday when I have looked, but stay away from B Hols

4. Go to the Tesco points web site to check your vouchers, choose the ones to use and they will give you a reference you use to book.

The cost will be more than the ferry but if you shop at Tesco does it matter. If you have a Tesco credit card you can shop where you like and still get points, so shop at Aldi if you prefer.

We will now get a load of posts attacking Tesco, which I will ignore because it works for me

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You can use Tesco vouchers for the Harwich to Hook of Holland crossing too!:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
cheaper duty free on harwich crossing as well. Used them a lot for work then a week later had to use the dover ferry and fags where significantly more expensive. Not that I smoke, just had a good thing going if you get my drift:winky:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The way with the least amount of hassle (the smoothest & quickest) has definitely got to be the Tunnel.

1. Collect Tesco vouchers (get enough and your crossing will be paid for by the vouchers multiplied by 3)

2. Decide when you want to go and start looking at their prices 3 months before your trip

3. Check which day is the lowest price, it always seems to be Tuesday when I have looked, but stay away from B Hols

4. Go to the Tesco points web site to check your vouchers, choose the ones to use and they will give you a reference you use to book.

The cost will be more than the ferry but if you shop at Tesco does it matter. If you have a Tesco credit card you can shop where you like and still get points, so shop at Aldi if you prefer.

We will now get a load of posts attacking Tesco, which I will ignore because it works for me

Agree 99.9% with your post. However - and at risk of being totally pedantic - you can't actually pay for anything at Aldi with a Tesco credit card; or indeed any other sort of credit card! Debit cards and cash only. :winky:

Mike

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Try the CC if you're a member. I've found them cheaper than going direct on many occasions.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That was interesting that you have found Tuesday to be the cheapest day, have often wondered what the best day was to cross on ferry for price. I guess Sunday night Monday morning is full of trucks as they can not drive in France during the day on Sunday.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
That was interesting that you have found Tuesday to be the cheapest day, have often wondered what the best day was to cross on ferry for price. I guess Sunday night Monday morning is full of trucks as they can not drive in France during the day on Sunday.

Trucks go on separate trains so I wouldn't think that was the reason.

It may be commuters going across or weekenders returning but I have done the research over many years and it seems to be Tuesday, but not every Tuesday that's why I said research your crossing times to make sure

Mike your wrong about credit cards at Aldi, I used mine twice just before we left last November. Although like you I thought they didn't do credit cards, maybe a change has happened, about time anyway as they are doing more business.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can book all the routes online and therefore see what the cost is going to be and compare them. However, some, if not possibly all of them, may have some clever tricks up their sleeve.

For example, look at routes on Brittany Ferries to see prices then try again a little later and you might find the prices are higher. The explanation I was told was the site puts a cookie on your PC/laptop and if it thinks you are interested, because you have visited their site more than once, it tries to get you to pay more.

Is this true? I'm not one hundred per cent sure, could be an urban myth like gas attacks but certainly you can see price differences appearing over a very short space of time and I know of people who clear all cookies after visiting a ferry website.

Cookies...yes, true.

always clear cookies before checking the same site again.

I reckon their logic is you see a higher price the second search and think the prices are increasing so book at the second price to ensure no further increases.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Book early for cheaper prices. I usually book direct with the operator web site. Dover Straight crossings are currently very cheap, even for summer holiday periods. I'm also thinking of going over in June. Currently the cost for my 5 tonne Winnebago with 3 children, comes in at £98 return.

Tunnel is quick and easy, but more expensive and boring. Remember that there are LPG limits which will affect you if you have an LPG engine conversion or a large fixed tank.

Rather be bored for 20 mins. than over an hour. :RollEyes:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Cookies...yes, true.

I reckon their logic is you see a higher price the second search and think the prices are increasing so book at the second price to ensure no further increases.

Done it many times John but never seen that happen.

Yes they do change their prices but if you are booking early enough the prices stay the same. I normally check the prices weekly because to book our return we have to wait until the following years prices are published as it always turns out cheaper if you book your return at the same time as you outward journey.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ferry

My advice is to choose your dates, then compare all operators on similar routes. Book the cheapest.

Sometimes though, just a day or so either side of your intended travel day can make a big difference, so if you are flexible, you might save a bob or two.

I book in advance, albeit with Eurotunnel, using the logic of once its booked, its booked. Yes it might come down a pound, but it might go up a pound too!

Russell

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all for your replies, I've just done a comparison - DFDS, P&O, and Tunnel. Dfds is clearly the cheapest, and much easier to get a quote than P&O as they display all the daily sailings and prices on one page.
The tunnel is about twice the price, but quicker, and I would think easie to ammend travel times. The ferries seem to make it quite expensive now to change a booked sailing, unlike in the past when you could turn up and get on any sailing if there was space.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My favourite is Newhaven Dieppe with L D lines. Hate the trip to Dover (Dartford Crossing cannot be avoided) Its 35 mins into Rouen at the side of 2hrs 30 from Calais. Saves you about 90 miles and you get a 20% discount if over 60. Decent cafe in terminal too. BUSBY::bigsmile:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have sailed with them all, but for some reason we always end up with DFDS direct.
More often than not they have the cheapest crossings but it dose pay to book early if possible. One of the main reasons is they is no hassle and everything is straightforward.
Some like the ferries and some like the tunnel, it just depends weather or not you are time limited or just want the cheapest crossing.
Normally at the spring motorhome show at the NEC there is a stand for Norfolk line DFDS and they give out discount codes some end up on this site so keep an eye on the forum after the show.
Booked my crossing in november for 13th Jan 14 £88 return.

Hope this helps
Regards
We did the same thing last February at the NEC Show with DFDS. Booked a crossing for car and 8m caravan on Bank Holiday August 25th, Dover/Calais for £39. Return crossing in October was £29. No deal better than that. :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I never book my return ferry until a week before we return. Have had to pay to change crossings in the past when we have changed dates. Never used to happen with NORFOLK LINE. I prefered their old boats to. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks all for your replies, I've just done a comparison - DFDS, P&O, and Tunnel. Dfds is clearly the cheapest, and much easier to get a quote than P&O as they display all the daily sailings and prices on one page.
The tunnel is about twice the price, but quicker, and I would think easie to ammend travel times. The ferries seem to make it quite expensive now to change a booked sailing, unlike in the past when you could turn up and get on any sailing if there was space.

I think that must just be peak holiday times Sid52 as when I've been to France in mh or car and got there early they've always let me on the next ferry.Never travelled at PEAK TIMES though.

Vlad

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Cookies...yes, true.

Done it many times John but never seen that happen.

Yes they do change their prices but if you are booking early enough the prices stay the same. I normally check the prices weekly because to book our return we have to wait until the following years prices are published as it always turns out cheaper if you book your return at the same time as you outward journey.

It certainly does happen. Not just with ferries, but airlines and some hotel sites and many others too.
Block the trackers, and clear the cookies. You can even sign in from a different location on a different device to be sure your search is not tracked.

If you are tracked long enough and do not buy the price often drops a little to induce you to book, as you think it will just rise again and further.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Rather be bored for 20 mins. than over an hour. :RollEyes:

Living in France for 10 years, I used to cross the Channel almost weekly. The ferry made for a nice break, a chance to stretch the legs, take a coffee and a break from the journey.:thumb:

Ok, I did get the ferny at very cheap prices, but I have also had some free tickets for the Chunnel which I have used several times, now that indeed is very BORING!....:cry:

:RollEyes:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We used the spring codes from DFDS last year from Dover to Calais, had to change the booking and also returned via Dunkirk. No charge for changing booking, when we arrived (both ways) we got the next available crossing at no extra charge, and all for £48 return and that was for a 34' RV :thumb:
Will be looking to do the same again this year :Cool: so fingers crossed :Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
D.F.D.S. every time, booked through the C.C. for the discount, always the eight o' clock morning sailing ! After a night on Marine Parade !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

BUT..........Don't have the fried breakfast on board, it's a health hazard !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Do your dogs tend to get stressed on ferries

We have normally used the tunnel because of ease of changing times coming back. Also other half thinks that the dog would get stressed on the lower decks of the ferry.

Any thoughts on how your dogs handle being left on noisy lower decks during a ferry crossing would be appreciated, as would like to consider them as an alternative.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have to say we travel with 2 yorkies and they are no problem it maybe because they are not on there own but they hardly lift there heads when we get back in the van,they love it . We did not use the over nights from Hull as they are locked up in cages in a strange enviroment which most dogs dont like .Just worth a mention my sister went from Hull a month ago and they kept the dog in the car apparently they are losing trade with the cages and they had an option cage or car.We may look at this in due course.I think if a dog is used to a van or car it wll be fine.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Try the CC if you're a member. I've found them cheaper than going direct on many occasions.

We have found booking through the cc is indeed cheaper, however, I have only ever been able to get rates for non amendable bookings through them.
Sometimes it is nice to have the flexibility to turn up a bit early or late without being hit by big fees to change.
Saying that 90% of the time we book this way as it is cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back