What do you want on a campsite? (1 Viewer)

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Hi there as you may have seen from some of my previous posts I am in the process of buying a small (circa 15 pitches) campsite.

The campsite has been run by the current owner for 20 years and when I buy it I intend to spend some money on the site to bring up to a standard I would look for when I stay on a site.

I would be really interested in the views of others as to what they look for on a campsite and which features etc would make them come back and book again.

I have some personal views such as clean, warm washrooms with hand dryers that actually dry hands in less than a fortnight.

I am changing the current Shower/WC block to create a mens washroom that will simply contain one sink and one WC in a cubicle and separate bathroom within the bathroom consisting of an ensuite, Shower, toilet and sink. I am doing the same for the ladies side and then creating two separate ensuite bathrooms for Family, Disabled or Unisex use that again consists of shower, wc and sink. In all I will either being installing under floor heating or heated towel rails if the underfloor heating is too expensive. All ensuites will be big enough to actually shower in and get dried without having to be a contortionist and will have plenty of hooks and a shelf, mirror & seat.

I will be creating a small dishwashing and washing rooms with 2 sinks a washing machine and dryer. Plus an outside BBQ sink.

I can't and don't want to change the location of the site it is opposite the atlantic sea. The site is too small to sustain a shop and there is a village with five pubs and a number of other shops 400 mtrs away, so no need for a shop or club house.

I know price is a factor it will be around 20 euros a night inc EH. All pitches will have hard standing and a grass area and be on average about 7 Mtrs by 10 mtrs. I would like to put water on each pitch and a grey waste point on each pitch but the cost of doing so, does not really make this viable and being a 1 acre site it is not far to the nearest tap anyway.

I want to put in a drive over grey waste drain, as my van is fitted with a grey tank and a lever to open the same which empties at the back of the van in the middle and this type of drain is the easiest for me to use, but I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Steaming hot power showers. Free. Though I would prefer to pay for my spec rather a warm trickle.

More than two sinks for washing for 15 pitches, we all eat around the same
time.

Hook up essential for most folk.

Firm pitch.

Plenty to see/do within walking/cycling distance.

WiFi - and with the inconsiderate ones, loads of bandwidth. Free or at least a sensible price.

Nice owners/wardens who are not descended from A Hitler.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My personal opinion, as the owner of a 5th wheel RV.
My ideal pitch would have EHU, water, and black and grey waste. Maybe satellite HU.
Easy access, and peace and quiet.
The ideal pitch will never be obtained, and i wish you well in your venture.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think we all look for different things at different times but one thing everyone wants all the time is clean facilities, no matter how basic they are they need to be clean. If I stayed at a fancy site with really fancy facilities and they where dirty I wouldn't return, on the other hand if they where old and basic but spotless I'd return.

A nice smiling face help also when you book in as first impressions do count, apart from that we don't look for anything in particular.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cleanliness and lots and lots of sunshine.....:roflmto: BUSBY..

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As someone who much prefers to use the facilities in their own van, a luxury shower block wouldn't even register on the radar. :Smile:

I use hook-up from late autumn to early spring. Outside that winter period my solar and battery bank easily keep pace with my consumption so I avoid sites that automatically include hook-up in the price.

HTH

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Here is a good example. Apart from expensive WiFi. Just simple very clean facilities and no frills.

http://www.middlewoodfarm.com/

But please don't go down the route of extra charge for additional car. Caravans have a car without charge, so why should motorhomes?

Other than that, EHU, hard standing and clean toilet/wash blocks.

Best of luck with your venture.

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
1 Cleanliness - understood and will comply.
"Sunshine" - its Ireland not sure if I can comply but it is literally across the road from a beach and the sea looks magnificent in stormy weather.
I have never liked bolt on or add ons I prefer one price to cover all, that said I can see the point re an extra charge (reasonable) for electric and therefore those who want it pay for others that don't want do not have to pay for. I won't charge extras for pets, 1 car, awnings etc.

I will try to smile.
I will remember how stressed I can get on a journey and how I have been met by other campsite owners, receptionists in the past who have not listened to me or have spoken too fast so that I have no idea of where to park or where anything is.

I will encourage campers to eat at different times so that the 3 sinks in total can cope with all who need it at the same time.

Keep up the suggestions, I am a sponge.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
How on earth would you encourage people to eat at different time ? Unless that was tongue in cheek ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry but you really are asking the wrong people to give suggestions. most on here have short arms and deep pockets. they hate to pay for anything and believe everything should be free...to them anyway

personally with family who have set up campsites, i would siuggest that you keep the site clean and tidy, be welcoming and provide simple but clean facilities. most important though is do your research and dont price yourself too high as this is counter productive. better to have a full site at say 15E rather than 2 or 3 snobs on at 20E that act like they own the place

good luck in your venture:thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Each site has its own attractions and some 'must have's' in one place aren't necessary at another.

For instance, I was thinking that a nice, level pitch is a must-have, yet at Clachtoll in Scotland we were in undulating grass, but the site was wonderful because the location next to sand dunes and the beach was superb.

Then clean, large toilets and showers. Yes, pretty much A Good Thing. But is your location SO good that you have the pull to appeal as a site of outstanding beauty?

I'd say grey and black waste disposal is highly desirable.

And a site where the pitches aren't in a regimented arrangement.

Maybe some small box hedging separating each pitch to give some privacy and separation?

And if the facilities are great, but the site looks a bit dowdy and formal, then that's also a negative. It's subjective stuff. A recent trip to a site in Banbury confirmed this. Great facilities but all 'vans neatly next to each other and the wonderful canal that it was alongside completely out of view.

Also, is this a year-round site? Do you need to appeal to all weather types?

Do you have pictures or an overhead view of the site? I think it needs to be looked at in that respect to determine what's desirable in the context of where it is.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Here is a good example. Apart from expensive WiFi. Just simple very clean facilities and no frills.

http://www.middlewoodfarm.com/

From middlewood farm price list,

SUPPLEMENTS (per night)

Awning (10ft wide max) £3.00
Annexes by prior arrangement ONLY £3.00
Extra person £3.00 per person
Under 3 years Free
Extra car £3.00
Dogs ([HI]acceptable breeds only[/HI])£2.00 per dog

That lets me out, our dogs are rescue and mongrels:RollEyes:

I like an area where you can take a cup or a beer and sit around and have a chat.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Steaming hot power showers. Free. Though I would prefer to pay for my spec rather a warm trickle.

More than two sinks for washing for 15 pitches, we all eat around the same
time.

Hook up essential for most folk.

Firm pitch.

Plenty to see/do within walking/cycling distance.

WiFi - and with the inconsiderate ones, loads of bandwidth. Free or at least a sensible price.

Nice owners/wardens who are not descended from A Hitler.

And a bus stop at the gate:thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If the price is 20e low season a lot of people including us would be using acssi sites. As already said cleanliness is what we look for in a site plus not to noisey.

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Thanks for the replies so far, this is basically free market research. I personally prefer campsite that do not resemble housing estates with all the houses being the same. I like a bit of randomness but at the same time a bit of logic. We are aiming to provide some separation between pitches. The land is completely level so we would like to make some features. we will keep the middle area pitchless and provide some picnic style table and may be a boat or two cut in half up ended and made into a seat/shelter just to give it a feature.

Missed a couple whilst writing 20e is high season.
I could put up a bus stop sign but there are no buses that pass by.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
From middlewood farm price list,

SUPPLEMENTS (per night)

Awning (10ft wide max) £3.00
Annexes by prior arrangement ONLY £3.00
Extra person £3.00 per person
Under 3 years Free
Extra car £3.00
Dogs ([HI]acceptable breeds only[/HI])£2.00 per dog

That lets me out, our dogs are rescue and mongrels:RollEyes:

I like an area where you can take a cup or a beer and sit around and have a chat.
acceptable breeds to whom though? some dont like gsds or rotties others dont like staffies or crosses. just who decides if your much loved well behaved pet is welcome?

we were on a site a year or 2 back, had booked in and been there a couple of days when somebody asked why we were allowed to bring "those dogs" onto the site. the owner came and had a word to say normally they dont let staffies onsite but as we were already set up and the dogs were well behaved they could stay this time.

on leaving the site and returning the key we were told we would be welcome back any time...dogs as well. we had restored some of their trust in well behaved staffies. i just dread to think what caused the ban in the first place

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The plan for cubicle facilities for men is welcome but just one ensuite is a little short sighted. Unfortunately most folks seem to want to shower at the same time and if there's one thing I hate it's queuing. For a small increase in cost it should be possible to provide a shower in each cubicle. Now, that would be great.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If I read it right, you said it's in Ireland.

That rules it out for me. It just costs too much to get there with a MH.

I can do flights, hire car, and B&B for a lot less than a return trip on the ferry with a MH.

:Cool:

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
In reality there is going to be one dedicated ensuite (toilet, shower & sink) plus an additional toilet and sink in both the mens and ladies washrooms plus two additional ensuites that can be used by either sex or as a family room,

So in essence based on 50/50 split 3 X wcs, 3 sinks and 2 showers per sex, which is way above the requirements for a campsite with 15 pitches.

I have looked at the ferry prices and agree you could fly hire a car and hotel for less than a MH on a ferry but it depends on how long you would be going for.

It would probably be cheaper for my to fly to spain from the UK hire a car get a hotel/apartment/B&B based on a fortnight but if I was going for longer then it would be cheaper in a MH.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I agree with Hilldweller - everyone expects wifi nowadays. If not free, then for a small charge:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lots of people want to visit Ireland and unfortunately the ferries are expensive but so are many others to other destinations but it does not deter tourists. You will only get the opinion of Motorhomers on this site. You need to also ask tuggers.BUSBY::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Clean water, Elsan, hard standing for winter, family camping for kids under 16 separate area. Ban on generators. Good discount if not using hook up.
Better still flat rate , then tokens for power , showers , loos, washing up areas etc.
Nice pub selling real ale and good food within a 2/3 mile walk.
Not much :winky:
We don't expect wifi. We've got that covered.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am truely surprised at reading some of these posts, I thought this was a motorhome forum, not caravan and camping forum, we all have facilities in our vans why on earth would we take washing up to a communal sink or queue for a WC or shower, its all in your van. EHU should always be optional we don't all need it. I suspect the previous owner has hiked the prices up prior to selling to make the site look attractive. You will have a hell of a time trying to get a living from a 15 van site. you have a captive market with only a few incoming vans due to the high ferry charges. I'd suggest you cater for Polish tastes as they seem to be taking over the country these days:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
The plan for cubicle facilities for men is welcome but just one ensuite is a little short sighted. Unfortunately most folks seem to want to shower at the same time and if there's one thing I hate it's queuing. For a small increase in cost it should be possible to provide a shower in each cubicle. Now, that would be great.
What do you men know about queuing

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In some respects I am very easy to please in others not so much.

I don't want/need any facilities except for fresh water, waste and during the winter EHU. Not interested in toilet blocks/showers. In almost 5 years of fulltiming never used one yet.

The pitch doesn't have to be level or even made of concrete or tarmac but a hard standing is preferred packed limestone or similar is fine.

Wifi is only needed if 3G is not available in your area.

I aim to pay no more than £10 a night for these basic facilities but will go up to £15 if the site is exceptional or near something I really really want to see or go to.

I only stop at adult only sites because there are a few bad parents around who don't understand that a few of us like our peace and quiet.

A dog free site is an advantage as well :winky: I always end up finding the one dog turd on the whole site left by the one and only inconsiderate dog owner that has ever stayed in the history of the site. Plus that quiet dog that for some reason barks incessantly and the owners appear to be deaf to really winds me up.

Other than that a friendly site is really appreciated. When the site owner is friendly and cheerful it seems to rub off on the visitors which makes for a pleasant stay.

PS: totally ignore me as I am unlikely to make it to Ireland and I am probably not your target demographic but I do wish you the best of luck :thumb:

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
I have a motorhome and the one (only one) good thing about it is the washroom, that said its the wife's I am allowed to pee in it (at night) but other than that its hers so I use the facilities on sites.

as for making a living on such a small site you are right it is not going to make me rich. I am not buying the site to make me rich, it is a lifestyle choice, work in the summer wander in the winter.

The 20E per night is based on others in the area that tend to charge a bit more but I have a beach they don't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back