Alternative LNB for maxview dome (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have today replaced the twin lnb on my maxview dome as part of a major overhaul/damage repair.
I have replaced it with an icecrypt professional twin lnb and it seems to have a massive improvement in sat finding compared to the original.
The system was taking 2-3 mins to find a signal (sometimes unable to lock on at all), but now is taking 20-30 seconds with a stronger/better quality signal.
My question to the professionals amongst us is this;
Is the Icecrypt professional a suitable alternative, have I stumbled on a real good improvement or am I just setting myself up for a fall so to speak?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have today replaced the twin lnb on my maxview dome as part of a major overhaul/damage repair.
I have replaced it with an icecrypt professional twin lnb and it seems to have a massive improvement in sat finding compared to the original.
The system was taking 2-3 mins to find a signal (sometimes unable to lock on at all), but now is taking 20-30 seconds with a stronger/better quality signal.
My question to the professionals amongst us is this;
Is the Icecrypt professional a suitable alternative, have I stumbled on a real good improvement or am I just setting myself up for a fall so to speak?

Spooky as I have been playing all day here in Portugal with my Mobilesat system and changing the LNB. With a 0.1db one fitted I can pull in BBC,ITV etc at around 65/75% and Sky pay channels up to 95% - with the standard LNB that came with the Mobilsat the BBC is around 50% or less and the Sky pay channels 80%. Pleased with my new LNB and will test it around Portugal and across Spain on the way home. Might be down to the fact that they fit the basic LNB because of cost.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Spooky as I have been playing all day here in Portugal with my Mobilesat system and changing the LNB. With a 0.1db one fitted I can pull in BBC,ITV etc at around 65/75% and Sky pay channels up to 95% - with the standard LNB that came with the Mobilsat the BBC is around 50% or less and the Sky pay channels 80%. Pleased with my new LNB and will test it around Portugal and across Spain on the way home. Might be down to the fact that they fit the basic LNB because of cost.

I will be heading home to spain in a few weeks (as I recall just around the corner to your good self) so I will be better positioned to give a report on reception.
Fingers crossed I can get a new dome cover in time!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

John did you buy that LNB from near Pedro's if so please tell him where from as we will be down there on the 6 th January and I would not mind trying a different one

Thanks Alan

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
John did you buy that LNB from near Pedro's if so please tell him where from as we will be down there on the 6 th January and I would not mind trying a different one

Thanks Alan

Alan, morning...... no I brought it with me, but I'm sure that Pedro can source one..

rally58man

Free Member
May 16, 2017
cannock
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Hi my dome is a mxl007 twin LNB would the Icecrypt professional fit would you know.
Cheers

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Yes that's the one that I fitted it to although not long after I changed the dome to a crank up version which is tons better for Europe.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I used to fit satellite systems, and that was in the day that a good LNB could cost more than some of todays systems. The LNB is the most important part of the system if you are keen to receive weak signals.
Buy the best spec one you can afford and you will be surprised the difference it will make.

rally58man

Free Member
May 16, 2017
cannock
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Off to Spain with maxview and getting new LNB as abovementioned . What about Skew do I have to remove dome when I get past mid France and adjust Skew. Also will it still be astra 2.
Yes I know it's a long shot but what to give it the best shot. I have an old pace sat box (sky) with freesat card or a icecrypt receiver box. Any advice welcome.
Regards kev

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I used to fit satellite systems, and that was in the day that a good LNB could cost more than some of todays systems. The LNB is the most important part of the system if you are keen to receive weak signals.
Buy the best spec one you can afford and you will be surprised the difference it will make.
What determines a good spec please? I have an oldish maxview dish and the lnb needs replacing. At present a Sky quad lnb is fitted but it is a bit loose

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back