LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Here is an excellent tip for looking after EHU cables, not kept on a reel. :winky:

Using this method will stop those annoying tangles developing.:thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdYpyGh3zM"]How To Coil A Microphone Cable - YouTube[/ame]

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This really does work………we use this method for all cables, rope,etc since seeing a similar post a few months ago (from our leader?)

Thanks for raising it again

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tips

Good tip which I will use. I wonder if the guy has tips for leaving the heating off and staying warm in the house. He appears to have been getting ready for the next video about that since he already has his wooly hat on. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Here is an excellent tip for looking after EHU cables, not kept on a reel. :winky:

Using this method will stop those annoying tangles developing.:thumb:

How To Coil A Microphone Cable - YouTube
Not to put a dampener on the obvious good points shown BUT has anyone tried this one handed method using a 50ft orange hook up cable......pretty heavy, especially using one wrist action to hold the increasing weight as the cable is wound up:RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
been using the same method many years since being shown it in technical college. the advent of velcro ties has also be a godsend as you can keep the coil tight during storage. just never use a power cable whilst its still coiled up as it will produce enough heat to start a fire

i am amazed that so few people understand the basics and learn it from a youtube clip.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Not to put a dampener on the obvious good points shown BUT has anyone tried this one handed method using a 50ft orange hook up cable......pretty heavy, especially using one wrist action to hold the increasing weight as the cable is wound up:RollEyes:

Not a problem....

Just make your loops bigger, there will then be less loops to hold, so it will be much lighter......:thumb::thumb:

:winky:

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

If you find this method too difficult or cumbersome try this:

Make the first loop and, using a velcro strap, (or similar), secure the end of the cable to the cable itself so that you have a fixed loop. Then, using the "hand over hand" method, roll the cable up all the way to the end. When you want to unwind the cable, for use, simply unwind it, "hand over hand" in the reverse way that you wound it up.

If you do this you will never have tangled cables again. :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Storing the EHU cable can be done in the same manner Firefighters store rescue lines, when not bagged, ie, in a figure of eight.

Holding both male and female plugs in the left hand, with arms apart by about 3-4ft, gather the cable over the right arm, then the left arm, then the right, then the left, etc, etc, until you reach the last 4ft before the loop/bite at the middle of the cable. With the cable gathered on the right arm, let go of the plugs and remove your left arm, and wrap the loop twice, around the remained of the cable as it hangs from your right arm. Hold the loop with your right hand, and pull it through the coils, as they slide off your arm.

1. Not only does this method take seconds to complete, (especially in pouring rain), it also prevents a bunch of bas###ds (knots) developing, the next time you come to unravel the cable.
2. It also allows use of the cable without having to unravel it all, (especially if really close to the EHU), simply because it's not tightly reeled on a drum, and therefore won't overheat. :thumb:

I can't find a video that demonstates this method...............so you'll have to use your imagination, until the next time you are pitched next to me on EHU, whereupon I could give a practical demo. :roflmto:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVxNZlNgDU"]How to roll up an extension cord... - YouTube[/ame]

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Je9LmUTZMY"]Coil Extension Cord & Rope - Hanger Built In! - YouTube[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back