Van won't start, suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It turns over at full speed (new battery fully charged).
Fuel pump is going ok.

It does take a long time to start in the winter and monday it took a lot longer than usual. Today no amount of turning got it to start.

Any suggestions as to what can cause this?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Has you MoHo got heater plugs Gromett? Are they working?

One of the most common issues with diesels not starting first click on a crisp winters morn.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just wondering that myself. Is there any way to test if they are working or not?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Firstly, you should have a warning light on your dash (usually orange curly type) when you turn on the ignition it should come on for a few seconds and then go out - when it goes out it is then ready to crank, the light going out is the signal that all's well and the heater plugs have heated up correctly and ready for go.
That's the way ours is.

I'd check that first - if this doesn't work then the testing should start.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The light comes on and goes out pretty quick. a second or less.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
All the garages are closed until the new year. I have no idea where to get any and how to fit them myself and I was supposed to be going away for new years eve.

Damnit :shout::Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Geo once pointed out that the light on some van lies to you, ours does.

Switch on and listen, light goes out but 10/15 secs later you hear a relay drop.

You should be able to clip a meter onto the heater plugs.

A while ago someone posted a picture "what is this" and it was the heater controller on top of the battery and looking a bit sad.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Well that's sort of indicating they are working, a second is short but it seems to be going through the motions. Another (if the plugs are working correctly) is potential water in the filter housing freezing and transferring to the 'near' fuel making it waxy. Can you face the van into the sun with the bonnet up? Sometime this will get things up and running but wont cure the latter if that's the problem.
Depending on the vehicle type, the fuel cut off switch/solenoid (what switches the engine off by stopping the fuel supply when you turn off the ignition) can suffer during cold if there's the slightest water in the fuel line. Sometimes a light,,,,,, and I mean light, tap on the fuel stop solenoid can allow fuel to be supplied for starting.

Sorry Grommet, there can be several reasons and it will be a step by step process but the above I have seen being the most common, before you get into pumps, belts etc.

Trikeman.:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

that sounds like faulty plug/s or relay to me.

to check voltage at plugs simply put a volt meter to earth and onto the plug terminal and turn on ignition...there should be 12v straight away.

it takes a while to get the tip of the plug to glow white hot

most reliable method of testing is removal and bench test.

remove plugs
hold plug body in one jump lead and place the other jump lead on the end terminal the connect to a charged battery.
jump leads save messing about with bits of wire.

maybe take 10 to 15 seconds to glow white and will remain too hot to touch for quite some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks trikeman.

I don't think it is fuel pump or anything like that as it did start monday after a lot of turning. It almost started today before going back to being dead...

I will see if i can find the air filter and see what condition that is in. I have no idea where the fuel solonoid is..

I am currently waiting for the batteries to recharge. I really hammered them trying to start it so I have put them on charge again.

Once it gets back up to 14v for an hour I will try again but will leave the ignition on for 10 seconds or so before trying to turn it over just in case the coil light is lying.

A friend of mine mentioned a spray which you can fire into the air filter.. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth trying?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Grommet if you are desperate to get away try and get hold of a can of Easystart from a local garage and put a tiny squirt up the air cleaner and turn engine straight away.

Use only in an emergency until you get the problem solved .

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
What make ,model and year is the base vehicle and milage:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as a last resort to get you on your trip.....ether.

spray some easi-start into the air filter while cranking.

easi-start is far more volitile than diesel and will ignite without the help of glow plugs.
may take a couple of seconds to get running properly.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I now just need to find a place that sells easy start :Doh:

I am about a mile from town and the garages are all on the edges so lots and lots of walking :Sad:

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am on my own so can't spray and turn the engine over at the same time. Does that rule out the use of Easy Start?

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
You should be able to do it on your own ,but not as easy ,what is the base vehicle ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am on my own so can't spray and turn the engine over at the same time. Does that rule out the use of Easy Start?

no, but it may take a few attempts to keep it running.
if you were at the front you could keep giving it a spray every couple of seconds til it picked up.
spray into the filter box then quickly get to the key.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
no, but it may take a few attempts to keep it running.
if you were at the front you could keep giving it a spray every couple of seconds til it picked up.
spray into the filter box then quickly get to the key.

Ditto!

On the older vehicles I used to work on the ether can was on the chassis and you had a pull cord in the cab, crank, pull and yeehaa...... they stopped them though - remember them Pappajohn?:winky:

I do hope you get it going.

Trikeman. :winky:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
According to the internet, and I have seen mentioned on another site, you can use WD40 sprayed into the intake (or air cleaner). Not quite so efficient but supposed to do less damage to the engine and you MIGHT have a can handy rather than having to walk to get Easistart.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have looked under the bonnet.

Am I correct in thinking that the air filter is the talk round box at the right hand side. With a big pipe that appears to come from the radiator?

Fiat Ducato 53 reg

PS: Never mind found it on google

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I have looked under the bonnet.

Am I correct in thinking that the air filter is the talk round box at the right hand side. With a big pipe that appears to come from the radiator?

Fiat Ducato 53 reg

PS: Never mind found it on google

have you tried turning ignition on
let the heater light go out
then turn off ignition on and repeat a few times
may just warm the glow coil and cylinder up a little bit before you crank the engine

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
You could try warming the fuel filter and any accessible fuel lines before cranking, may help

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
with essay start it will fire don't use throttle or you could wreck the engine just let it start with no throttle
one second spray in to engine intake

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can find out whether the problem is heater plugs or the heater plug control / relay and make use of the van until you can get it fixed as follows:

Find the heater plugs. The top of each one will be joined to its neighbours by a metal strip or very thick wire. Clip one end of your jump lead to the top of any convenient heater plug. Make sure it doesn't touch anything other than what it is clipped to. Connect the other end of the jump lead to battery +ve for around 10 to 15 seconds, then disconnect it and start the engine.

If it starts OK using this method then the heater plugs are OK, you can continue to use the van, and my next suspect would be the starter plug control module / relay.

Heater plugs don't fail in fours. If one fails the van starts but is smoky & rough for a few seconds after starting. If two fail it's more of the same with slight reluctance to start in cold weather. If three fail it will not start in cold weather and will be reluctant in warm weather. There is normally plenty of warning that they need to be changed before total failure.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
No easy start? Lynx deodorant or similar:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have carried and used easy start for years on numerous vehicles and never had an issue. its a quick fix but certainly shouldnt be considered a long term one

from your description, the glow plugs have been failing for a while so harder to start in winter. the complete refusal to fire indicates that the diesel is not getting hot and thin enough to compress. as its not subzero temperatures i would doubt its waxing, but could be water in the fuel filter contributing to your problem

if you do try to bypass the relay for 10 seconds with a jump lead from the battery, be very very carefull as touching anything else other than the glowplug connector will cause major arcing and burns. from your description though this method wont help much if the plugs are burnt out/caked up.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks so much everyone.... I have got it started.

I had the battery on charge to top it up.
I then tried as had been suggested here and on fb.
I turned the ignition on and left it for 6 seconds. I repeated this 3 times before attempting to start it.

It started in about 3 seconds but quickly stalled out.

I tried again but absolutely nothing.

I then repeated it but did 8 seconds and it started this time.

I think it is possibly one glow plug has failed???

For the amount they cost I will replace all 4 in the new year as well as getting new fuel and air filters as they must be due by now:Doh:

Thanks again everyone for the very helpful suggestions and no wisecracks...

looks like I can have my new year away as planned :thumb:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damnit just got back into the habitation area after going to McDonalds.

I forgot to take the coffee cup off my table. I now have a soaking wet bed and a potentially soaked battery charger. My mind was totally elsewhere. I must be getting old:Angry:

I am currently in the process of stripping the battery charger down to clean and dry :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back