LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Firstly I am not asking about legality or Europe.

We have used a smart on a Towtal A-frame cable type for three years now with no problems but are now ready to upgrade the car to a IQ so a new frame will be needed the one I am looking at is a Towtal but with the brake buddy unit only because the frame is a bit lighter with no sliding hitch.

Has any one any experience with a brake buddy they seem a nice simple unit?

Thanks
Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no experience but the genuine brakebuddy is very expensive new.

obviously you have reasons for changing, but you dont need a full new A frame....only the part fitted to the car which will be many times cheaper than a BB.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I should have said we have already sold the Smart with the frame attatched

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
A frame

Hi, Dont want to worry you but check that the IQ can go on tow as earlier models could not due to to the way the gearbox was configured .:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Dont want to worry you but check that the IQ can go on tow as earlier models could not due to to the way the gearbox was configured .:Smile:

not doubting you Mike....

rule of thumb,
proper torque converter = no tow
automated clutch = towable

obviously needs checking out and confirming.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Towed mile after mile with Brake buddy (Older style) face lift model with digital read out as opposed to pressure gauge, with cabin transmitter and receiver and brake away system, flawless bit of kit later models have the ability to change brake effort from the drivers seat
5 star towing system even if a bit pricey, mine was bought used from e bay circa £375.00:thumb:
G

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
When I enquired at lincoln show I think the cost of the whole kit fitted was about £1300 inc 20% vat.

I am quite caperble of making my own frame but as we all know have a bump, and your up shit creak without a paddle and some Wa**** will want to sue you.

So for peace of mind I will buy a manufactured one and have them fit it to the car.

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
When I enquired at lincoln show I think the cost of the whole kit fitted was about £1300 inc 20% vat.

I am quite caperble of making my own frame but as we all know have a bump, and your up shit creak without a paddle and some Wa**** will want to sue you.

So for peace of mind I will buy a manufactured one and have them fit it to the car.

Hi

PM sent

Kevin and Tricia

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We have the towtotowcars A frame with electronic braking, fitted on a Toyota Aygo mmt (Clutchless 5 speed).

Brilliant piece of kit and the frame is very light as everything else is electronic. We now have a spare frame as just had a Stainless Steel one made.

Have towed the toad for 5 years now, 15000 miles and no problems with the toad and just a couple of silly things with the electrics.

May be changing for new shape 2014/15 Aygo if they keep the same mmt box, will also have the same A frame fitted.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Towed mile after mile with Brake buddy (Older style) face lift model with digital read out as opposed to pressure gauge, with cabin transmitter and receiver and brake away system, flawless bit of kit later models have the ability to change brake effort from the drivers seat
5 star towing system even if a bit pricey, mine was bought used from e bay circa £375.00:thumb:
G

but somewhere in the regs it states all controls must be in the toad except the breakaway device.

no human intervention.

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We tow an IQ with a Car-a-tow. Great little tow car and runaround - and can get 4 adults aboard (but doesn't like steep hills when fully loaded!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back