Suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Funsters,

We hope you all had a good Christmas, been very busy for last few weeks with a new grandchild, we will be starting new weekly childminding duties in March so trying to plan our year ahead.

We thought we would make a quick first continental trip in the next few weeks.

Thinking of waiting for a gap in the bad weather then making a dive for the Poole Gijon LD crossing. We have two thought paths in mind one for southern Spanish cities maybe Seville Granada etc, the other southern Portugal. Can you suggest any safe and pleasant stopover points, what would you do?

We will go out on the tuesday and return on the friday crossing the following week giving us a nice week somewhere.

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Dave and Janet

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No real tips sorry, but do bear in mind you will have a fair bit of mileage to cover if you intend going to Granada with only a week and a bit until the return crossing.

Have fun though:thumb:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yeh thanks Chris i know it seems a bit far miles wise but we would like to get past the rain if poss, we dont mind driving as long as its not like the M62!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yeh thanks Chris i know it seems a bit far miles wise but we would like to get past the rain if poss, we dont mind driving as long as its not like the M62!

I know what you mean.

We only ever have 2 weeks to get some sun and if you want it guaranteed warm you have to put the miles in:thumb:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We might be able to stretch to a fortnight if the weather is ok at home, we have a delinquent old cat that needs looking after and our home is really bad for folks to get to and from in the snow.

Shame no one seems to have any suggestions, we are looking at the ACSI card sites but wondering if we will have any problems with the size of our motorhome. In a way we thought that going in the quiet months would be good for building up our confidence prior to the busier summer months.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We might be able to stretch to a fortnight if the weather is ok at home, we have a delinquent old cat that needs looking after and our home is really bad for folks to get to and from in the snow.

Shame no one seems to have any suggestions, we are looking at the ACSI card sites but wondering if we will have any problems with the size of our motorhome. In a way we thought that going in the quiet months would be good for building up our confidence prior to the busier summer months.

Cannot help with sites but aires and the like are many, and would take your Elegance at this time of year as they will be quiet. If you want any info on specific ones just ask.

Try this map it may give you some ideas of places you could stop.

Stops UK to S Spain

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Might not be what you want to hear but I think you should wait until May/ June if you can. Quiet sites and no need to drive so far South to get some sun.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Chris I know where you are coming from re the time and the weather but having viewed posts on Portugal and morocco and got the marathon that is christmas out of the way we are chomping at the bit.

Also we have booked a brittany ferry for early June anyway to Santander and we will probably stay North then ... we loved the Tapas in San Sebastian a couple of years ago and we are probably going to Norway in July. with plenty 4 and 5 day U.K. trips in between.

Not so bothered about it being hot .....but fine would be nice, I really don't like flying so whilst a package to the canaries or Madeira might seem like the better cheaper option it doesn't really appeal anymore we have done lots of that and usually had rubbish weather anyway and hired a car.

We have only had a couple of trips before to southern Spain and Portugal and haven't explored much so just avoiding Ice and snow would be good.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds to me like you have it sussed:thumb:

Spent a fantastic 2 weeks in Northern Spain 3 years ago at Easter. Great weather.

Spent a crap week in Northern Spain in 2012 at Easter. Crap weather.

It's like Forrest Gump would say - " The weather in Northern Spain is like a box of chocolates - you don't know what you are going to get":Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was about to recommend you leave the van at home and have a look at Ryanair website they have flights to faro on the algarve for £14.99 in jan but see you don't like flying but you are only on for a couple of hours and you would be there quicker than getting on the ferry and as for price, no comparison ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well Chaser you certainly have a point there £14.99 is an absolute steal ...... But flying doesn't get any easier for me and thats one of the reasons I really wanted the motorhome. I hate everything about flying the checking in, waiting, searches, queuing, sitting there .... then the flight itself just terrifies me ... The only bit I like is landing.... I once spent the whole flight with my head between my knees. The airlines could try paying me to go but I would still be very reluctant.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its a days drive from Gijon to Benidorm and The Costa Blanca. Weather usually the best in Spain this time of the year. Plenty of sites on the coast that would accept your van. Good Luck. Hoping to be heading that way ourselves mid Jan. BUSBY:roflmto::roflmto:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,the place to look is ukcampsites for tents and motorhomes free to look at, and will give you all the info you need with pictures and location,regards H::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back