Is this true? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Is an A class less likely to suffer with damp ingress than a C class? I am doing extensive research on the net trying to narrow down what to buy next as we have just sold our MH so we are keen to get our next one before prices rise around Easter time. I just came across an article saying that a C class is more likely to suffer with damp than an A class. We are currently considering a couple of C class Rapidos and the Autotrail Cheyenne but I am wondering if I should go for a slightly older A class for the same money if it is likely to benefit me in the long run? As we will be abroad 10 months of the year and hope to follow the sun we don't anticipate experiencing anywhere near the amount of rain we get in the UK so am I worrying needlessly. Having just escaped unscathed from an incident involving damp readings between 50% and 90% I am a tad wary!! ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they are all glued and screwed together from the same stuff and if not built properly they will all leak.

what the author probably meant was as most A class are of German/French origin they may be built to a better standard of workmanship than a UK built rig so less likelyhood of defects.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
they are all glued and screwed together from the same stuff and if not built properly they will all leak.

what the author probably meant was as most A class are of German/French origin they may be built to a better standard of workmanship than a UK built rig so less likelyhood of defects.

Ah, so probably Rapido rather than Autotrail or maybe I should try and find a Hymer with a garage if they do one :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They are not all glued and screwed together. No joints whatsoever in some :Cool:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Is an A class less likely to suffer with damp ingress than a C class? I am doing extensive research on the net trying to narrow down what to buy next as we have just sold our MH so we are keen to get our next one before prices rise around Easter time. I just came across an article saying that a C class is more likely to suffer with damp than an A class. We are currently considering a couple of C class Rapidos and the Autotrail Cheyenne but I am wondering if I should go for a slightly older A class for the same money if it is likely to benefit me in the long run? As we will be abroad 10 months of the year and hope to follow the sun we don't anticipate experiencing anywhere near the amount of rain we get in the UK so am I worrying needlessly. Having just escaped unscathed from an incident involving damp readings between 50% and 90% I am a tad wary!! ::bigsmile:

The simple answer is "NO!" I have an A Class N+B' when I bought it I knew it had damp rot in the garage and water ingress through the roof over the cab through the roof bars. All now fixed and bought with knowledge of the damp.

An Autosleeper C Class with a monocoque body is unlikely to have damp problem unless it has been in an accident. So a C class would be a safer buy.

Norman

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am new to motorhomes bought one in November I am an engineer and when you look at the design A class should leak less as the cab is integral to the design.
We also wanted a large garage for my radio control cars!
I looked at various machines and narrowed it down to a Hymer or Dethleffs and bought a Dethleffs A class so far no problems.
Just by looking at the roof sections you will see areas of possible water ingress some designs looked floored.
I would say just by looking at the design service records of a van you will know if there are issues.
Also these forums highlight any problems with design.
If we like the Motorhoming we might treat upgrade to the esprit model end of 2014!
Jim

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Get yourself a Van, L/wheel based Hi topped with a Bike Rack Simples

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The only place you'll find them in the wild is .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back