Towbar:- Cherokee or Similar Chassis (1 Viewer)

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I have a 2101 Cherokee and want to make a towbar for it.

Now, I can do the welding bit no problem and the design if I see none, however a picture is worth a thousand words and I was hoping other members with the same base chassis for a Cherokee etc. would be kind enough to post some photos of theirs for me to crib from. Even some from underneath if its not to wet or cold. Please :winky:

Also any attachments members have such as bike racks or M/C carrier.

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry cant help with design and fixings etc, though I have made my own before.

main concern is the chassis....is it full length right to the rear bumper/valance or does it have lightweight extension pieces that fall short of the rearmost body point ?

if it has the latter they probably wont be strong enough for a towbar

Alko extensions are generally strong enough but some converters use bits of angle iron bolted on.

also, DO NOT drill an Alko chassis...use the pre drilled holes only.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Before you go welding stuff up you might want to have a look here Link Removed :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

Thanks for the heads up. however I did for 25+ years manufacture trailers supply and fit towbars to all road vehicles including double decker coaches and have made many many towbars for MH's in the days when NO ONE made one. The technicalities and legals I am aware of.

My MH has already had one and the previous owner had it swapped over to their new one and had used it to tow a 107.

I just want pictures to get some other design ideas thats all. I can still do it without no problem just its nice to see how others have done it.

Thanks

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
my first thought also, but I think the van is a 2010 which makes it pre type approval

Indeed.

I was a member of the NTTA when it was very first set up. Then it was the NTA.

I was also an AL-KO OEM supplier. I also had accounts with all the towbar manufacturers at the time.

If this link works it will show a very small sample of what I used to design and build.

https://www.facebook.com/kwade2803/media_set?set=a.1281579685425.42938.1408061242&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/kwade2803/media_set?set=a.1281579685425.42938.1408061242&type=3

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Link tis working Biggles, some fine trailers there.

I have 'squashed' myself under my van today, similar to yours (perhaps) its a little earlier and a Apache 700 SE, but I'm dammed if I can get a good shot on my back. If it was over a pit then no probs and you are a bit far to come to see it for yourself - my apologies.

But your link's OK.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Link tis working Biggles, some fine trailers there.

I have 'squashed' myself under my van today, similar to yours (perhaps) its a little earlier and a Apache 700 SE, but I'm dammed if I can get a good shot on my back. If it was over a pit then no probs and you are a bit far to come to see it for yourself - my apologies.

But your link's OK.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Thanks for trying though. Still in need, even if it's just the bit that shows as these will vary a bit. Fixing to the chassis I think is pretty set in stone anyway.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back