Insurance and NCD (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Now that we have found a new caring home for our Hymer, in Cornwall. What do I do with the remaining period of the Insurance Policy, it expires mid April 2014.

Previously, we have always exchanged rigs, so continuous insurance, this time our new rig will not be available until “the first two weeks of March” so Funster's your advice please, with 3 months to run and 8 years NCD at stake, what's the best course of action?

If I contact the insurance company, and ask, I feel I shall be given advice most beneficial to them, not me.

So...I think my options are:

1. Ask for a refund of the outstanding term, and certificate of earned NCD?.....or
2. Do I have to maintain a policy at all times to retain the NCD? If so it will be double insured, new owner and me!!......or
3. Take a chance on 2, and change rig details when delivered......or
4. Are there any other options available?

Thanking you all in anticipation, and wishing you all a happy and prosperous Christmas and safe travelling in 2014. :thumb:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can ask them to suspend cover and start it again when you get your next van
terry

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi you can ask them to suspend cover and start it again when you get your next van
terry

Thanks Terry, I had'nt thought of that. Its a good one, no loss of premium or NCD. Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
With a cancellation fee to pay and only 4 months left, it is unlikely that you would get much of a refund anyway. As for NCB, once cancelled you should be able to ask for written proof of your NCB from your insurer. If you are paying by instalments it would probably be more economical to let it run or you may find you actually owe them money!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I doubt that you will get any money back, if you cancel then they may even charge you for the privilege.
If your policy carries NCB then you will need a letter showing proof but they will not give that until the policy is cancelled.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
technically, you cant insure a vehicle you dont own so you should cancel cover and take the cancellation fee hit.

if you tell your insurers you no longer have the vehicle they will insist on cancellation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As Pappajohn states you cannot insure it if you don't own it. Also a vehicle should not be insured twice, this can cause a lot of complications and problems if you do so.

Most insurers will accept your NCD as long as it is no more than 2 years since you were last insured. Make sure you get your full NCD statement when leaving.

Some Insurance companies only make statements such as "5 years or more". In such an situation I keep all previous proof of NCD from my past Insurers then a new Insurer can contact my previous Insurer to confirm I had no claims at all during my period with them.

Eg before going to Aviva I had 6 yrs NCD, Aviva's letter only state "5 years or more" but as I had 4 years with Aviva without claim, I have and can prove 10 years NCD.

Good luck with the new van..........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back