Free Member
Dec 21, 2013
south London
Funster No
MH
vivro conversion
Exp
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I have recently for filled a dream and purchased a comperrvan conversation, I have named him Stan. The guy I bought Stan off didn't have a clue about him, so I have few questions to ask you lovely people. First is the leisure battery, , it has a red key on the side. Whats it for? I have worked out the converter which is a 1000 watt and seems to work what ever position the key switch is in. Any info on this would be nice. Thanks for your help :RollEyes:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Probably an isolator.

If your inverter is working whether the key is on or off I would guess it isolates the leisure battery from the starter battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Would I be right in thinking if the isolating switch is on it would stop the leisure battery being charged?

i would hazard a guess that if the switch is "off" it would not charge the liesure battery and you may not get 12v to your habitation..

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like a battery isolator to me.

turned off it disconnects all power from the battery to the 12v hab system...and also inhibits charging, same effect as taking a battery lead off.

secondly, your inverter........how many batteries do you have and what ah rating are they/it ?

that 1kw inverter will draw 83 amps per hour from your batteries if used to its full potential.

if you have just 1 x 85ah battery you will have a 1/2hr before the battery is flat as a battery should never be discharged below 50%.

the reason the inverter still works regardless of the isolator position....inverts should be connected directly to the battery, which places it between the isolator and battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes, I have one next to the truck battery, fitted I suppose to stop peeps nicking it.....The truck, that is.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back