Could this be the answer to the TV problem?? (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
" ............. all you need is an internet connection.............."?

And a big data allowance.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have one of these boxes at home and with me here in Portugal ( google MAG 250 ) and they work great providing that you have 2MB minimum download and 256kb upload. In many camp sites they do not work well as others are using "filmon" and taking up the bandwidth so you get freezing. Your IP address is not a problem ( UK IP is not needed ) so travelling around the world these boxes work everwhere as long as you have internet.
The other thing to look at is the cost of the "Sub" most are around 30 quid a month and for that you get 99% of the sky channels ( yes paid channels as well!!! ), but you need to check the provider out first ( they will give you 24/48 hours period to try ) as many are over subscribed and cause freezing.

Without doubt within 2/4 years this form of watching TV ( IPTV ) will be the way ahead for the MH world and will be fitted as standard to new MH's and the satellite dish will be a thing of the past. The box it's self is easy to program and can be bought from that well known bay place......

If there was enough interest in this post I would do a topic on the subject ( like the satellite one I did ) covering what to buy and what the alternatives are and what bandwidth is required.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's only a media player with apps..
Can buy similar for £40...
You can even get a NOW tv box that will do some (not all) of it £9.95

VERY overpriced €169 !!!!!!!!!! and it's NOT WIFI..... an extra €30.
Save your cash...

IP streaming is definatly the way to go...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
It's only a media player with apps..
Can buy similar for £40...
You can even get a NOW tv box that will do some (not all) of it £9.95

VERY overpriced €169 !!!!!!!!!! and it's NOT WIFI..... an extra €30.
Save your cash...

IP streaming is definatly the way to go...

You are of course correct, however the NOW TV Box does not work outside the UK. They are WiFi, but you need to buy the dongle ( I have the dongle here ) They are not a "App" box as you do not use apps it is MAC address locked to the provider, who sends you his file list via HTML ( in simple terms ) so the box does not hold any channels or apps sorry. :Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You are of course correct, however the NOW TV Box does not work outside the UK. They are WiFi, but you need to buy the dongle ( I have the dongle here ) They are not a "App" box as you do not use apps it is MAC address locked to the provider, who sends you his file list via HTML ( in simple terms ) so the box does not hold any channels or apps sorry. :Smile:

Just for interest regarding UK viewers wanting something cheap..
There are a few "youview" boxes sold second hand in selling sites, they are a bargain as they do Freeview chanel inc HD, have a 320gb hard drive and can record 2 channels at once. Also access to catch up TV like BBC iplayer, cn 4, cn 5 etc...

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Blimey!! me eads gone:Eeek: Thanks for all the Info, I for one will take up your offer (If there was enough interest in this post I would do a topic on the subject ( like the satellite one I did ) covering what to buy and what the alternatives are and what bandwidth is required.) Don Quixote, please keep in mind that Im in France, and on Wifi neufbox-SFR. Also if Navi loses her TV I lose me perks :help:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I read your post on RVOC and see you arent so much refering to m/h use but more for home use.

you obviously have a broadband connection at home so give it a try.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know it might not be too helpful for you but I solved ALL my TV watching problems... ALL of them... by giving up watching TV.

No dish alignment problems, sat finders, power supplies, batteries for the remote and all the rest... :thumb:

JJ

PS. I loved the comment above about other people using up the campsite bandwidth and preventing you decent TV! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Has this Smart TV system been checked out yet? WWW.netdream.tv

Rather misleading statement in the link......

"The countdown has started , in just a few short weeks anyone using satellite TV will lose all UK Free to Air channels including BBC , ITV , C4 & C5"

"Anyone"...... we're doomed, we're all doomed......

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

Rather misleading statement in the link......

"The countdown has started , in just a few short weeks anyone using satellite TV will lose all UK Free to Air channels including BBC , ITV , C4 & C5"

"Anyone"...... we're doomed, we're all doomed......

The changes that you will lose Sky UK in France are very very slim...... however from Spain down there is a very good chance, but you can never tell as I'm getting BBC1,2,3,4 ITV,1,2,3,4 channel 4,5 and many others sitting here in Portugal on my Mobilsat 70cm dish, when they said it could not be so!!!! - we will have to wait until around April next year to know.

JJ - my comment about others using bandwidth up using Filmon is because filmon is bandwidth hungry, however so is IPTV. I was not aiming at filmon users as I have used it in the past. The chap that owns Filmon has a channel on Sky UK now and is working on charging for his service in the future so again thats an other area of limited time of free.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Intriguing, you can't normally access BBC iPlayer from outside the UK so I wondered how they do it. Then I had a look at these people: http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/?gclid=CK_ZtoOzxrsCFSIFwwodFGEA6w who explain it very clearly. They access iPlayer, and no doubt other providers, from a UK based server then stream it down a private network (VPN) to their server outside the UK from where they distribute it to their customers. Not surprising bandwidth can be a problem unless they have invested heavily in the infrastructure required for a large number of users.

I guess the other companies offering this service do something similar.

I think it is probably a case of use it while you can because when the likes of the BBC work out how to stop it they probably will! Although if the market is small they may not think it worth the effort.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Intriguing, you can't normally access BBC iPlayer from outside the UK so I wondered how they do it. Then I had a look at these people: http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/?gclid=CK_ZtoOzxrsCFSIFwwodFGEA6w who explain it very clearly. They access iPlayer, and no doubt other providers, from a UK based server then stream it down a private network (VPN) to their server outside the UK from where they distribute it to their customers. Not surprising bandwidth can be a problem unless they have invested heavily in the infrastructure required for a large number of users.

I guess the other companies offering this service do something similar.

I think it is probably a case of use it while you can because when the likes of the BBC work out how to stop it they probably will! Although if the market is small they may not think it worth the effort.

Well firstly I would never use "my-expat" or any of the other ones as they can be a pain to setup and I red the other day one of them fell over whilst "strictly come dancing" was on.

I use a company called: http://www.unblock-us.com/ - not free but 100% up and never failed to date. The reason I use this one is because you can add their 2 x IP address to the router direct so any connecting equipment is seen as UK local IP. I have done this with both my router at home in Spain and here on my iBoost, so open BBC iPlayer on computer or iPhone and it plays right away as if I was in the UK, as does ITV, Channel4 and 5.

If I get enough interest in IPTV I will write a topic on it covering IP address, bandwidth, and programs MH'ers can use.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I read your post on RVOC and see you arent so much refering to m/h use but more for home use.

you obviously have a broadband connection at home so give it a try.

Thanks, pappajohn, Il wait a bit and see what Don Quixote comes up with first,
best to to start off with all the facts:hardhat:

I know it might not be too helpful for you but I solved ALL my TV watching problems... ALL of them... by giving up watching TV.

No dish alignment problems, sat finders, power supplies, batteries for the remote and all the rest... :thumb:

Hang on there JJ, Iv been told to pack up Smoking and to stop Drinking :cry:
if Navi don't get her Tely I don't get any Perks:Sad: Woe is me!!:cry-smile::tears:Im gonna take up :reel:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have one of these boxes at home and with me here in Portugal ( google MAG 250 ) and they work great providing that you have 2MB minimum download and 256kb upload. In many camp sites they do not work well as others are using "filmon" and taking up the bandwidth so you get freezing. Your IP address is not a problem ( UK IP is not needed ) so travelling around the world these boxes work everwhere as long as you have internet.
The other thing to look at is the cost of the "Sub" most are around 30 quid a month and for that you get 99% of the sky channels ( yes paid channels as well!!! ), but you need to check the provider out first ( they will give you 24/48 hours period to try ) as many are over subscribed and cause freezing.

Without doubt within 2/4 years this form of watching TV ( IPTV ) will be the way ahead for the MH world and will be fitted as standard to new MH's and the satellite dish will be a thing of the past. The box it's self is easy to program and can be bought from that well known bay place......

If there was enough interest in this post I would do a topic on the subject ( like the satellite one I did ) covering what to buy and what the alternatives are and what bandwidth is required.

Please do a topic on it. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

JJ

PS. I loved the comment above about other people using up the campsite bandwidth and preventing you decent TV! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But what about Rugby and Football, cannot manage without that. BUSBY:winky::winky:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

I[HI]f there was enough interest in this post I would do a topic on the subject ( like the satellite one I did ) covering what to buy and what the alternatives are and what bandwidth is required.
[/HI]

yep interested to see what can be possible:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back