Free Member
Dec 21, 2013
south London
Funster No
MH
vivro conversion
Exp
Hello people

Would a camper van insurance be cheaper then a commercial, as I have commercial at the moment on my conversion?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Should be a lot cheaper providing it's classed as a Motor Caravan on the V5

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as above....it must be registered as a motorcaravan on the V5.

if it isnt, its now very difficult to get it changed and it must LOOK like a proper motorhome on the outside....not just a van with added side windows.

there are also certain requirements on the inside....bed (can be made up from seating), at least one fixed cupboard/wardrobe, sink, water supply (can be a water carrier) and a myriad of other things

motorhome style graphics, rear ladder, tv aerial etc will go a long way to getting it changed.

'Stealth' conversions will become a thing of the past

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
if you have a bump in a motorhome and in side fitting are damaged they are covered insured as a campervan.. but not as a commercial:Sad:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hello people

Would a camper van insurance be cheaper then a commercial, as I have commercial at the moment on my conversion?

Camper van will be much cheaper than commercial insurance. Also, commercial insurance will result in problems if there is a claim, as they will regard the vehicle as misrepresented.

Most insurance companies will care more about what you have than what it says on the V5, provided you are entirely up front about it and explain that the V5 contains incorrect information that you are in the process of correcting. It is still worth fixing the V5, though, for the ones that are not.

My insurance company couldn't care less that my V5 claimed my 5 tonne Winnebago was a 3.5t panel van, but I have managed to change half the mistakes on the V5 so it is now a 3.5t motorcaravan. Next stop is to get a weighbridge ticket (no idea why, as the plate gives the actual gross weight) before I can get it registered private HGV...

OP
OP
S

Stan the van

Free Member
Dec 21, 2013
south London
Funster No
MH
vivro conversion
Exp
Thanks for the advice guys , dont think I can go for the camper insurance as I have no sink or running water.
I have fixed cabnets and a seat that converts into a bed, as for the Tv aerial I am looking at getting one fixed. Theres no point in ladder on the back as I have a lwb vivro thats not a hi roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back