LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How many amps are in a volt?
Our batteries has gone down to 11.6 volts, the solar panel hasn't been doing its work.
we bought a multimeter to check our usage and only using a freesat box to watch prerecorded films as we can't get a signal here in Portugal.
We also use an led tv.
Led lights except for the bathroom 2 fluorescent bulbs, normal use on the pump, no battery charging, no hook up.
So on the multimeter we are using 3.6 amps a day.
The multimeter read that only 0.1 amp was put in all day (8 hours very sunny day)
we have 2 x110 leisure batteries, 85w solar panel, surely they shouldn't be reading that after just 3 days ?
So the question is...as the batteries are reading 11.6...started off at 13.4 ...how many amps...not volts.. have we used?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh gosh, where to start? Read this. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question501.htm

But I suspect the problem is the time of year. Your solar panel only produces maximum power with the sun directly overhead. At this time of year with low sun angles and short daylight hours it will struggle to produce 10% of what it would on a summer's day, even in Portugal.

Worth checking your solar panel is clean and how old are your batteries? They deteriorate with age.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[HI]How many amps are in a volt? [/HI]Our batteries has gone down to 11.6 volts, [HI]the solar panel hasn't been doing its work.[/HI]we bought a multimeter to check our usage and only using a freesat box to watch prerecorded films as we can't get a signal here in Portugal.
We also use an led tv.
Led lights except for the bathroom 2 fluorescent bulbs, normal use on the pump, no battery charging, no hook up.
The multimeter read that only 0.1 amp was put in all day (8 hours very sunny day)
we have 2 x110 leisure batteries, 85w solar panel, surely they shouldn't be reading that after just 3 days ?
So the question is...as the batteries are reading 11.6...started off at 13.4 ...how many amps...not volts.. have we used?

Amps in a volt?? that's easy, NONE
I would reckon you answered your own question, Panel or wiring ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The first thing I would do is look on the back of your TV.. see how many watts it is, almost all electrical appliances have a label....
example if it is LED it may use something like 20 watts...
So you divide 20 (watts) by 12 ( the volts supplied from your battery).... = 1.66 amps

So your TV consumes 1.66 amps PER HOUR....
Do the same with the freeview box, and other things and you should be able to guesstimate your usage..

An 80w panel at its very max peak will put in 4-5 amps per hour in very good sunlight.
In reality a lot less..

You say you are using a multimeter but how are you measuring the amps ??
You cannot just place the meter across the two terminals, for amps it needs to be in line, so dissconection of the +ve wire..

Either you are drawing more than your solar is puttting in.. or fault on batteries or fault on solar system..
My first action would be to check voltages coming into the regulator and the output of the regulator.. If those are correct then it eleminates the solar equipment,,

Good luck..

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am no expert

Our batteries has gone down to 11.6 volts, the solar panel hasn't been doing its work.
we bought a multimeter to check our usage and only using a freesat box to watch prerecorded films as we can't get a signal here in Portugal.
We also use an led tv.

Amps = load on the battery so if you have measured the load from your battery at 3.6 amps. This is only the load at that time of measurement and not a average throughout the day. Your actual load can vary hugely.

Your solar panel will put out around 4 amps whilst the sun is out.

So your solar panel will probably keep up with your useage during the day but at night you will be drawing from the batteries.

Your batteries are 110amp/hour x2. So 220 amp/hours. You can't discharge that all but around 50% seems to be recommended.

So 110 divided by 3.6 would give you somewhere around 30 hours before they are becoming very discharged.

Volts x amps = watts

so if you look at the label on the TV etc. it should state how many watts it needs to operate. A small LED TV may draw 40 watts in use but still 20 watts while switched off but plugged in.

Add all the "watts" of everything you use. Divide the number by 12 (volts) and that should give you how many amps your are loading on the solar panel/batteries.

Amp/hours are how much you are using during a hour.

I have probably got it all wrong but I am sure someone with more brains will put me right. At the very least I have bumped your thread

I hope this helps
Mike :thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The first thing I would do is look on the back of your TV.. see how many watts it is, almost all electrical appliances have a label....
example if it is LED it may use something like 20 watts...
So you divide 20 (watts) by 12 ( the volts supplied from your battery).... = 1.66 amps

So your TV consumes 1.66 amps PER HOUR....
Do the same with the freeview box, and other things and you should be able to guesstimate your usage..

An 80w panel at its very max peak will put in 4-5 amps per hour in very good sunlight.
In reality a lot less..

You say you are using a multimeter but how are you measuring the amps ??
You cannot just place the meter across the two terminals, for amps it needs to be in line, so dissconection of the +ve wire..

Either you are drawing more than your solar is puttting in.. or fault on batteries or fault on solar system..
My first action would be to check voltages coming into the regulator and the output of the regulator.. If those are correct then it eleminates the solar equipment,,

Good luck..

No standby, we make sure all plugs are out when not in use, even 12v sockets.

New batteries and solar panel, (August 2013)

free Sat box 50w led tv 30w so not much usage there.

I didn't know how to use a multimeter, Steve here on the site told me that if I placed the turn around knob on the multimeter to 20 dvc and then red to positive and black to negative that should give me reading.
How can we check solar panel regulator is working?
Terry cleaned solar panel Tuesday.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
No standby, we make sure all plugs are out when not in use, even 12v sockets.

New batteries and solar panel, (August 2013)

I didn't know how to use a multimeter, Steve here on the site told me that if I placed the turn around knob on the multimeter to 20 dvc and then red to positive and black to negative that should give me reading.
[HI]How can we check solar panel regulator is working?[/HI]
Terry cleaned solar panel Tuesday.

Disconnect leads from controller to leisure battery, then check voltage across the ends, (keep them apart) !! Is it sunny there?
Have you an in-line fuse from controller to leisure battery? It may be blown?
My guess is failure to charge sufficiently or at all rather than 2 batteries going kaput.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It may be wise to go for a run so the alternator can put a bit back into those batteries. Don't leave them low.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
85w solar panel

In blazing summer sunlight at noon you might get 85 / 12= 7A.

In winter you'll be lucky at 1A.

Your 80W of TV is 80 / 12 = 6A

So 1A in and 6A out, it's not going to work.

You'll have to go for a run and use the engine to charge your batteries up.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Disconnect leads from controller to leisure battery, then check voltage across the ends, (keep them apart) !! Is it sunny there?
My guess is failure to charge rather than use of 2 batteries going kaput.
I'm afraid that will blow the solar regulator. ALWAYS Disconnect the solar panel from the regulator before disconnecting the battery. the voltage across the two open leads with nothing attached leads should be around 17v.
It really all boils down to how much power you are using and how much the solar panel is putting out. At this time of year it may not be much more than 1amp per hour in Portugal conciderably less in the uk

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My guess is failure to charge rather than use of 2 batteries going kaput.

Very warm and sunny here, 8 hours uninterrupted sunshine, so I would have thought some juice would have been put in, battery down to 11.15 this morning, before Sun came up too far.

Will check to find out if controller has in line fuse, if I can find it?
The dealer Marquis installed the batteries and solar panel so it's anyone's guess where it is ?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We also use an led tv.

at the time of connecting your meter you were using 3.6amps per HOUR..not per day.
this will change as items are turned on and off.

again, at the time of connecting the panels are charging at 0.1amp (100milliamp) per HOUR

I would expect slightly more than that even in winter with a low sun....at least 0.5amps/hour....but still a useless amount as you were using 36 times more than the panel was putting back in.

is your panel in any shadows...building, trees etc ?
that can and does have a dramatic effect on charge current.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have said you are simply using more power than your solar panel is generating and can ever could generate in the circumstances. Even if it is warm and sunny down there in the winter the lower angle of the sun means that their is a lot less solar energy falling onto the solar panel.

If your figures are correct your TV and box are using a lot of energy. A simple formula is volts x amps = watts. So 80w at 12v = over 6 amps. But you will get a lot less than that on average from your solar panel. And at that usage it will not take long for your batteries run down.

I suspect in the short run you have three options. Go for a long run in the van, get a hook up, or use less energy.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I am near Vera in southern Spain

My 240w of Solar produced
15Ah on 19th peak 5.23amps
6.3Ah on 20th peak 2.75 amps and
10.2Ah on 21st peak 5.25 amps (the shortest day).

In summer in the UK I have had 128 Ah peak on a summers day.

Amps x Volts = Watts
Watts / volts = Amps

It takes 1 Volt to push 1 Amp through a 1 Ohm Resistance

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would suggest, before you start disconnecting anything at around mid-day turn everything off for an hour or so. If everything is working the battery voltage should creep up a bit and the panel should show a small charging current, perhaps an amp or so, but the control panel itself will also be taking power so not all the current generated by the solar panel will go to the batteries.

85W is not a big panel by modern standards, most people use more like 100W and if you want to be off grid in winter for long periods you really twice that or more ideally.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

That's around 6.5a per hour.

You have around 110ah of usable battery (if you use the 50% guide, on a lot of batteries if you discharge further than this it will damage them, maybe kill them).

Just your TV set up will drain your batteries in under 17 hours.

Edit - By the way, at 11.6v your batteries are flat, way under 50% (which I think is about 12.2v from memory) so it might be worth having them checked if you have a garage somewhere close by.

Also, your TV set up uses a lot of power. I have a PC with a 24" screen running in my van and it uses about half the power of your set up. Might be worth looking for a lower power box in the future.

Do you have a descent charger on your van from the engine? If so can you run the engine for a hour or so to get some charge?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it isnt the amount or brightness of the sun....its the suns angle to the panel.

with the sun at 90deg to the panel it will be maybe 90% efficient...it will never be 100% except in theory.

With the sun as low as it is now it may only be 5% efficient if that much.

And from your previous post....

11.6v is technically a dead battery, in fact slightly over discharged.
10volts and it time for the bin...it wont recover.

I would extimate you used 120amps

common consensus states a battery should never be discharged below 50% capacity and you have a total of 220ah therefore 120amps used or 55% used

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Very warm and sunny here, 8 hours uninterrupted sunshine, so I would have thought some juice would have been put in,[HI] battery down to 11.15 this morning,[/HI] before Sun came up too far.

Will check to find out if controller has in line fuse, if I can find it?
The dealer Marquis installed the batteries and solar panel so it's anyone's guess where it is ?

Your battery is now seriously discharged, dangerously so, and it is on the way to the Battery Graveyard.

Go for a good long run.... NOW..... otherwise you may find you are buying new batteries for Xmas.......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to continue winter camping as you are you're going to need.....

a...more batteries....but that means more charge current

b...another solar panel....bigger the better but still may not give enough charge.

c...a generator....noisey and need to carry petrol

d...a battery to battery charger....which means starting the engine for an hour or more

e...stay on campsites with hookup

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
At this point, assuming standard charging arrangements when the engine is running, you are way past the point where a 'good run out' will charge your batteries. To re-charge them fully will require a 30 hour+ drive. To ensure that they survive you need a hook-up for 2 to 3 days to guarantee a full charge.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Cheapest solution is probably to hook-up (assuming you are on a campsite). For extended static camping at this time of year, that is probably the only realistic option, other than a generator of some kind that you run every day or so for a few hours.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
B2b warning

We had a Waeco 40 amp B2B fitted in December 2011 just before our trip to Italy to get the Gasparini Generator repaired at the factory.

We ran into bad weather in southern France and Northern Italy in January 2012 and we were using lights heaters and wipers. We stalled at a toll and found our starter battery was showing only 8v when I tried to restart. We were recovered to a garage who put a new diode pack into our alternator and then we found the battery was dead so we had to have a new battery. As the fitter was putting the wires back on, the lead to the B2B kept sparking, so we left it off. We thought our leisure batteries were failing also after that and cut the trip short ( it was minus 11c on the Med coast at Narbonne Plage) and returned to Birmingham where the B2B had been fitted. They tested it and said it was OK and they also tested our batteries and found them to be OK as well. The B2B was reconnected and gave us no more problems until September this year when again we had a wet spell and we found ourselves again with a flat starter battery after a run from Doncaster to Darlington with Heater, lights and wipers on. Again the starter battery was down to below 8v.

We went to our usual garage and he tested the battery and said it seemed OK but on another tester it showed borderline. We fitted another new battery and went from near Consett in Co. Durham to Selby in North Yorkshire again in wet conditions again. Next morning the new starter battery was dead.

I put a meter on the battery and jump started from the leisure batteries. The B2B cut in immediately and we could see the starter battery voltage dropping as the leisure battery voltage increased. I quickly disconnected the B2B and the starter battery voltage began to rise immediately.

We left the B2B off for the trip down to Spain but tried it again down here and all seemed to be fine. Two nights ago we spent the night at Garrucha and set off early to find a campsite at Vera. We were running with headlamps on and on arrival I found the start was laboured after dumping our waste and getting water.

I have read the Max and Min voltages on our Solar readout and again the starter battery had gone down to 8v on the 12km run with lights on to Vera. The day before it was 12.92 v max and 10.58v min under starting load

Not all B2B are the same and the Sterling Unit does continuously check your starter battery condition and will not let this situation happen.

I definitely would not now recommend the Waeco B2B offering even if it does look a lower price alternative. While it does the job of boosting the leisure batteries on a 4 stage charge it does not seem to have the circuits to check the state of the starter battery.

In delving into these problems I found that batteries are rated at a temperature of 25c. Working in low winter temperatures you cannot expect to get the stated capacity from your batteries if they are out in the cold. We have insulated our old gas bottle locker which now houses our 3 x 110 Ah batteries but even that I feel need to be heated to maintain room temperature.

We are now on a site on hook-up until the end of the year, so the batteries should all get a good charge before wilding again for New Year.

Even with solar I find that I need to do 2 hours on the engine (static or moving) to keep the batteries in working condition at this time of year. The Gasparini (12v 20amp) generator only keep thing at a usable level, it does not boot charge the batteries.

John

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
at the time of connecting your meter you were using 3.6amps per HOUR..not per day.
this will change as items are turned on and off.

again, at the time of connecting the panels are charging at 0.1amp (100milliamp) per HOUR

I would expect slightly more than that even in winter with a low sun....at least 0.5amps/hour....but still a useless amount as you were using 36 times more than the panel was putting back in.

is your panel in any shadows...building, trees etc ?
that can and does have a dramatic effect on charge current.

Unless your multimeter has a logging facility (which I doubt) and you left it connected for an hour / all day, then you are just taking instantaneous Ampere readings.

If you have no experience of using a multimeter you may be getting confused by what it is showing you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...I have read the Max and Min voltages on our Solar readout and again the starter battery had gone down to 8v on the 12km run with lights on to Vera.

Not sure where to start here, no pun intended, other than to suggest you have an electrical problem. If the starter/vehicle battery was down to 8 volts on a run your lights would have been a dim glow and the wipers would have hardly been moving, if at all, assuming the engine itself would have still been running.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Your battery is now seriously discharged, dangerously so, and it is on the way to the Battery Graveyard.

Go for a good long run.... NOW..... otherwise you may find you are buying new batteries for Xmas.......

WE drove to a campsite with hook up and after 5 hours the battery readings are now 13.4.Much better than the 11.6.
We are on hookup for 2 days so that will give us full batteries again.
Will have to get the regulator on the solar panel checked by someone on all you good peoples recommendations:thumb:
After the Christmas holidays though.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WE drove to a campsite with hook up and after 5 hours the battery readings are now 13.4.Much better than the 11.6.
Will have to get the regulator on the solar panel checked by someone on all you good peoples recommendations:thumb:

hookup for 2 days is good....:thumb:

5 hours isnt really long enough to put any usable charge back in and what you are seeing is a floating charge.

if you were to disconnect the charger and turn on some lights and run the water pump a few minutes the voltage shown would be far less than 13.4v.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I suspect you will find that your regulator and solar panel are working as they should. From the figures you have given it appears you are just asking more of them than they can deliver. As has already been said, in the winter with the lower angle of the sun they do not produce as much electrical energy as you are using. So your energy store (the batteries) is getting depleted.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
as
said before not enough solar for size of bateries you would strugle even if tilted toward the sun . :Doh: stan

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Depending on what charging system you have it would take 4/5 days to fully change them back to a stable state on a hookup as you are using them at the same time.. I was always told take 1 amps out / put 3 amps in to put battery back to full charge state. I have 3 x 110amp batteries and a 85watt panel, which does not put enough back in to the batteries to fully charge them so have a "genny", if we are away from a hookup.
Reading all the post to date, the best advise I have seen is to switch off everything for a few hours a day and allow the solar panel to feed some "juice" back in and do the same whilst on hookup.
When you get back add another battery and larger solar panel/panels. Right now in Portugal at midday I'm getting 1.7amps from the panel at best for about 1 hour and then 0.7amps, so on hookup.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When you get back add another battery

Why ? All that does is make it a day longer before he's flat.

larger solar panel/panels.

Now you are talking, same applies to you.

The point is that if what is going OUT is bigger than what is going IN it's only a matter of time before you end up flat. More batteries will extend the time but also extend the charge time.

To survive you must have a bit more IN than OUT.

More batts......

There is another argument, add more batteries, go out for 3,4,5 days before they are flat, then go to a campsite to charge them. That has a certain logic to it. But you need a REALLY BIG charger to pump up all those batteries in a workable time.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back