Why won't my generator turn over? (1 Viewer)

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
my generator will not turn over it has full battery and half tank of petrol .the round silver thing which i think is the solindoid makes a humming noise and gets warm but no atempt to turn it over..any idears ?

Attachments

• genarator.jpg
    genarator.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 151
  • generac.jpg
    generac.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 154

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hit it with a Hammer? Or try turning the starter motor with a spanner. I had a starter Motor burn out on our old Coachmen Classic. :Sad:

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi john... i would take a hammer to the starter motor if only i could find it:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try shorting the solenoid out by jumping across the terminals to see if the starter motor then turns over. (put a screwdriver blade across but dont touch anything else apart from terminals)

Could be dirty contacts inside it or it is stuck (hammer)

Regards

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Check the oil in the genny. Mine is a Generac and without Oil it will not run.

Even says so in the manual.

Is your vehicle engine running when you try to turn the genny over?, if not try it.

There is a rest button on the genny, if its popped, push it back in to reset.

Jim :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
no its not the oil level...it was running fine then i deciderd to put new plugs oil and filter, turnd it over but would not fire up kept trying and nothing since:cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
no its not the oil level...it was running fine then i deciderd to put new plugs oil and filter, turnd it over but would not fire up kept trying and nothing since:cry:

You have got sparks at the plugs I presume and the leads were marked and replaced in the same order?:thumb:I assume the plugs that went in were the same length.Am I right in thinking the engine still turned over after they were replaced?

They are right there is an oil level sensor that cuts the genny if the level drops too low.

Personally, I would start by removing the plugs after marking the leads, and see it if turns over then.

Steve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
steve oil level is ok with new oil,yes it turned over after new plugs but never fired,twin cilinder engine one plug lead eatch side so can not get them wrong.its is persisting down at moment will try tomorow going to clean all leads take plugs out and try it to see if it turns over if not its the hammer jobie 2lb lump be ok?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Right!

IF the starter motor turns the engine over.............

IF you have a spark on a plug...............

Pour a spoonfull or so of petrol on the airfilter or squirt some easy start into the air intake. (Dont have the choke on)

It should then start (never fails)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I replaced onan starter motor on my last rv, not cheap, fix it.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: I'm getting confused. Originally:-

It would NOT turn over?
Now it would seem it DOES turn over.

As John says. A separate fuel supply to the carb. If it starts?

Then there is either NOT enough fuel in the tank (believe me, several others had this problem)

OR

The fuel line is split. Try blowing on the pipe to see if it bubbles in the tank?

If it does? Try sucking fuel from the tank. Be careful. It doesn't taste very nice.

If fuel at the pipe?

Then get back to us and we will offer many more ideas to sort it out. :winky:

One other thing. Does fuel spurt out of the pipe when it is disconnected and you try to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
john..it is not turning over at the moment. it did turn over after new plugs fiterd but never fired up that was about a month ago sorry if i confused you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
where does the genny starter motor get power from?

if the supply battery is getting flat the high amps needed by the starter will remove power to the ignition coils causing a lack of sparks.

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It sounds as though there are two problems to address.
1. The gennie was turning over but wouldn't start. Now it won't turn over at all.
2. Gennie not starting.
First of all we need to figure out why the gennie isn't turning over. You said you kept trying to start it. Did it gradually slow down while cranking or was it a sudden failure to turn over? If it's the latter you could have burnt out the master fuse if it has one. You could have burnt out the starter motor or possibly the relay. I don't think it's relay as you can hear it clicking. Putting a multimeter across the large terminals to measure the voltage while someone operates the switch would eliminate those. No voltage possibly the fuse, possibly the relay. Full voltage would prove the relay is ok and point to the starter motor. Low voltage would indicate a battery problem.

Hope it helps

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi Doug ..yes it was turning over and then sudden failure thanks for the info with a meter will try in morn. i just wish there was some way to turn it manualy to elimanate jamed starter or siezed up engine. madbluemad has a manual so maybe he can help i tryed to d/load one but could not find my modle

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Dave
Check all the wires to the solenoid and the starter motor make sure they are not loose or corroded ... if the solenoid is getting warm it's getting power... a jammed starter often makes a clicking sound

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi Tony the problem is i can not see the starter motor has been surgesterd its at the back near bottom.need it for france in two weeks,if all else fails i have a portable one it is a 950 if i plug it into my yellow box would this power the microwave?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Tony the problem is i can not see the starter motor has been surgesterd its at the back near bottom.need it for france in two weeks,if all else fails i have a portable one it is a 950 if i plug it into my yellow box would this power the microwave?

You would need to look at the microwave power consumption Dave.

Remember this is RUNNING rating and startup is a lot higher.

My guess therefore would be no.

Don't give up yet.

Hopefully if it was running ok before the oil/plug change, it will again.

Just needs some structured diagnostics to get you there.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
i have a portable one it is a 950 if i plug it into my yellow box would this power the microwave?

:Smile: When we were touring/Wildcamping. We had a 900W genny that we used instead of the onboard 6.5KW. We used to run Sat/TV, charge the batteries via the Truecharge 40 and also boil a 600W kettle at the same time. Very rarely tripped. However. I very much doubt it would be able to run a Microwave. Unless it was a low powered and soft start one. :winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I also run a 950 portable and it does not run a 700 watt microwave.It runs a portable tv, freeview box and kettle though.:thumb:

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
update....cleaned all contacts still no joy whent to dave evans motorhomes booked in for monday morning:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Rip the genny out giving you more space and buy a 2.6 kw kipor or larger and it will do all you require with half the fuel:winky:

Hardly ever fire up my 6 kw on board jobbie:winky:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
hi..it gets power from the house batteries they are fully charged:thumb:

Are you sure about this - most RV gennys run from the engine battery on the basis that if you run down your leisure batteries you've still got power to start the genny and charge everything up. Try what someone suggested - run the engine then try to start the genny.

Are you trying to start from a switch in the cab or on the genny? I had a genny that occasionally wouldn't start from the cab but would always start from the switch on the genny itself.

:Smile:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back