Anyone using one of these? Seems to good to be true? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just a quick bit of research - anyone using one of these by any chance? Seems a little to good to be true but you never know.
Link Removed

Thanks,

Trikeman. :winky:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bought one cheaper than that of AMAZON, £48, twin camera, voice control, loaded with apps. Had it four weeks, brilliant. BUSBY::bigsmile:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I've just bought my third. First one I bought for myself , took me all round France (my 1st trip on the continent) and was faultless , never sent down daft roads , even with toll roads turned off. Takes post codes and co-ordinates if known
Just bought 2 more for my dad and me son for xmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
yes bought of ebay £58 used it alongside another at first in case no good but is always good and free map updates for life, now how much does tomtom charge for that ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Looks the same one, also listed as from Glasgow....

£53.98

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120943822835&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120943822835&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en[/ame]

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Do you have a link....?

Sorry jumped the gun. Thought it was a tablet. I should learn to engage my brain more. Story of my life at school. BUSBY:Smile:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Bought similar from this company last year used through Spain, France, Italy and back again. Worked ok, led us astray couple of times down inappropriate roads but generally it performed ok. For the money it ain't bad but maps seriously out of date and, for me, "lifetime" upgrade link did not work. After sales staff at Navibuzz in Glasgow knew even less about the unit than I did.

Have a look at the past thread on this subject

Broken Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Just read Ebay reviews and one says that the maps cannot be updated yet the seller mentioned at the start of thread advertises free update.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Had the one from Navibuzz (pretty sure it's the same thing or very similar) and very pleased with it.

Wyn

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
anyone using one of these

bought one last week road tested it comes up perfect free europe maps for life but i only paid £48.00 of pnavi on ebay. BUT if you go to ALIBABA and ask for quotes you can buy direct from china for as little as $36.00 USdollars if you order in quantities of 5s or 10s i sent enquiry 3 weeks ago and got over 10 replys from different manufacturers quoting to supply 1s 5s 10s and hundreds or thousands prices getting progressivly lower and lower on each quote. $36usd works out at about £21.00. must repeat it does everything it says on the label. jt

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Well, in the end I thought for £50.00 (went direct) I would give it a go, I looked at it as if its naff I will use the screen as an additional video screen/hands free - I have my original TT so will run side by side and evaluate.

I will report back on the findings, still have my eye on the TomTom Camper but for nearly £400 (the live is still only for a year and I have heard some 'issues' with that one too) I thought I would give this one a chance, at least.

I take the point of 70+ negatives on ebay however the negatives are primarily for other things like dresses etc. Of all the satnav specific feedbacks there are only one or two issues - not too bad against thousands of positives. I think with high turnover businesses some negative feedback is inevitable.

I'll keep interested Funsters abreast of the happenings once (IF) :roflmto: it gets here.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've been using one for nearly a year now - prefer it to my tomtom actually! Doesn't take me down silly roads like the tom tom truck one does sometimes! I haven't tried to update it yet - so will be interested to hear what you think of it.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Tried to update mine,very complicated, so did'nt bother.
the instructions navibuzz sent me were even more complicated.
even harder to put music on it.
I still prefer to use the tomtom.

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Good bit of kit

As I said in another thread' I have used one of these for the last 2 years and had no problems. They do not have post code finder.:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
bought mine in 2012 took me all round france spain portugal germany poland Czech and loads of places in the uk without a hitch got mine from china and the customer service is also great

mine also has postcode finder and poi campsites

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
As I said in another thread' I have used one of these for the last 2 years and had no problems. They do not have post code finder.:thumb:
I thought it did not have Post Code option but they do. It is not obvious but when you click on "town" you can enter the post code here

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Sat nav for lorries

We bought one last year from an eBay seller. Made in China, not only is it a sat nav, it's also a tablet computer and video/audio player. We don't use the latter only the sat nav. We key in the dimensions of our van and all unsuitable roads are avoided. It works well, we think it's brilliant and only £65, we no longer use the more expensive tomtom. We have one criticism, because it's for lorries, and lorries have speed restrictions, as well of rules for drivers to take official breaks, you get a lot of nagging for driving too fast and for too long. It's irritating but it's worth putting up with cos the gadget is much better for motor homers than an ordinary sat nav. Definitely recommended.

It does do post codes for the uk and the continent, it's very good for finding French aires using the latitude and longitude given in the vicarious aires book.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We bought one of these gps units early last year . As above poster , we use co-ordinates when travelling around France etc , result being never failed us yet .... Uk post codes , that took a bit of time and button pressing to fathom out . Again , no problems. For the money , an excellent buy.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Ok, To summarise - quite a few have purchased and used it and got on fine with this £50 or thereabouts jobbie. Some have found a few wobblies with it.

I have found a similar one (looks and reads the same)
on a truck website www.hgv-trucktables.co.uk/truck-sat-nav.php that states " maps updated Aug 2013 no Bugs " !!! £59.99. I assume from that statement that someone has breathed on it before repackaging and distributing. £2.99 p&p.

Question - would that make it an even better/safer bet ? or being cynical about trucker intelligence should I just go for the cheapest :Smile: :winky:

"Just updated with the latest August 2013 Truck International Edition software
Which has better software, display, Truck routing,
Speed cameras verbally announced and Hundreds of poi’s.
Absolutely the best software on the market for Truckers, van drivers, caravans, buses, coaches and cars "

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Moodybrook,
by the sounds of it this is the same/similar to the one I just ordered. I tried to weigh up the pros and cons of most satnavs before ordering. By listening across the forums (inc car and trucks) one could say that just about every satnav has a small (ish) percentage of problems, and I mean from the big named players too.
Currently my old, and I mean old, TT has never given any trouble, except its now getting so far out of date its forever getting into a panic over me not being on a particular road when clearly I'm on a new stretch - on the A30 it really started panicking and showed me off in a field somewhere.
:roflmto:

I'm going to take a chance with this new one, and will let you know how I get on. I suppose (as with just about every electronic item) they are made in the far East, its just what happens after manufacture and what packaging they go in. Some of our fellow Funsters have good feedback on them and no doubt the importers are trying to get them as best as they can - on the truck forums there are really some good reviews. It's got to be worth a punt.

Regards,

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Hi Trikeman, just another that I found for £99 has two operating systems and mapping from 3 different providers. I think that is pretty confusing and unnecessary. 256 Mb ram so I presume faster but not necessarily so, my lad says.

I shall await your report with genuine interest as I am in the market for one. However I am not in a blind panic as I shall not be venturing far until roundabout Easter. Would like to get it for familiarisation before I need it though. I can use it at work and see how it goes over roads that I know very well. I have an ancient GPS model which gets itself into a right lather at times too, so I would not set sail to the continent with just it to help. I tend to work by dead reckoning anyway it is really for the Mrs to feel that there is a plan of sorts !!
:Smile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought one of these gps units early last year . As above poster , we use co-ordinates when travelling around France etc , result being never failed us yet .... Uk post codes , that took a bit of time and button pressing to fathom out . Again , no problems. For the money , an excellent buy.

Just ordered one. I like the idea of being able to plug a reversing camera into it, (that's next on the list of wants).
Decided to go for the ebay one, and not the trucktables model, just for the extra extra's.

Starburst2

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1994
Does anyone who has one of the units mentioned know if you can produce your own itiniary so that it will take you on a route where you want to go and not where it wants to take you.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just ordered one. I like the idea of being able to plug a reversing camera into it, (that's next on the list of wants).
Decided to go for the ebay one, and not the trucktables model, just for the extra extra's.

So which ebay one did you go for?

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Does anyone who has one of the units mentioned know if you can produce your own itiniary so that it will take you on a route where you want to go and not where it wants to take you.

Hi Starburst,
yep, you can programme your own route if you require. Of course if you put in your final destination it will give you 'it's recommended' route though as normal, however you can tailor the route to alternative routes, eg without tolls, best suited to size, weight etc.

If you wanted to you could put any route you wanted in there, time consuming, yes, but you could (as with all others) 'chunk' your route into segments and go from one to another as you reach that co-ordinate.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Hi Starburst,
yep, you can programme your own route if you require. Of course if you put in your final destination it will give you 'it's recommended' route though as normal, however you can tailor the route to alternative routes, eg without tolls, best suited to size, weight etc.

If you wanted to you could put any route you wanted in there, time consuming, yes, but you could (as with all others) 'chunk' your route into segments and go from one to another as you reach that co-ordinate.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

So is it any good ?? Have you had a wee run through with it. Your last posts suggested the instructions were a bit cryptic, or were you winding us up/on the sauce ??

I had gone off the idea and was to buy an idiot phone and download a freebie sat nav app. I need a phone anyway so kill two birds with the one bullet, just fancied the 7 inch screen ! :winky:

Starburst2

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks trikeman,
What I was trying to establish is whether I can plan route with a number of waypoints before a destination. I used to be able to do this with TomTom going back to Navigator 2 on a PDA and also on my TT One XL but the latest TT units do not have the feature. I find it essential if you want want to follow a sightseeing route and you are alone or have a passenger who cannot navigate .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back