Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I have always liked nice china and glass in the house. I am undecided as to what to do now. Do I buy melamine? Is there a way of transporting china and glass, and is it worth the extra weight. What do you all do?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Motorhomed for years, only ever used China and Glass and never had anything break yet:Smile: (hope I have not jinxed myself:Eeek:

Put non slip matting underneath glasses and plates etc, they don't move far.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
China and glass.. We have melamine spares if we end up with multi guests.. But we use China and glass..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have always used china and glass and as said protect with non slip mats and cushions in the cupboards to stop the rattle. Ours have even survived when we have hit unseen bumps!!

Upvote 0

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Yep, china and glass for me. buy a couple of rolls of the non slip matting, cut into squares and place between crockery etc. I also find teatowels are a moterhomers friend.:Smile:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Yep, china and glass for me. buy a couple of rolls of the non slip matting, cut into squares and place between crockery etc. I also find teatowels are a moterhomers friend.:Smile:

Bubble wrap is good too! :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Absolutely; don't like the plastic world we live in. I even have my own ceramic mug, nothing else will do. Never mind the weight feel the texture.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We find the Link Removed useful for storing all sorts. The lids are tight fitting and they only cost a few pounds. We have a 7l one for our Luminarc plates and dishes with tea towels for packing, a 10l one for the large double skillet and others of various sizes for other items.

We use plastic baskets Link Removed for packing cups and glasses. Six will fit in a basket, separated by pieces cut from a flexible chopping board to stop them banging against each other.

Upvote 0

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Always a balancing act but why would you want to spend so much on your home from home and eat and drink out of plastic.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Ours don't break either

:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.386124205_rfo5.jpg
    il_fullxfull.386124205_rfo5.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use to have melamine cups but the tea/coffee just doesn't taste 'right' in them, plus they can be a b*gger to keep clean as they stain so quickly. So now we have some 'vintage' glass 'mugs' (see below) which have a Pyrex glass inner and a plastic removable outer with handle, they act as mugs and when removed from the holder we can use them as glasses as well although we do have some acrylic/plastic beakers too for use if we have kiddies wanting a drink, or are having a picnic outside the van ... or if the glass 'mugs' are all mucky!

We use good quality melamine type dinner plates - they again are some 'vintage' ones from an old picnic (?) set we bought of an old chap many, many years ago, so are probably from the 60s, possibly early 70s. Being a squarish shape they fit in the cupboard much better than rounds one, we also use the side plates and bowls from this set too and supplemented this with a couple of longer oblong shaped dishes (for pasta meal, or those with sauces etc) and smaller ones which are useful for serving a salad separately if necessary. We used to use china plates but found that they made food go cold quite quickly, whereas the melamine ones don't ... just don't try to use them under a grill!

We also use paper plates (large and small) to cut down on the washing up if needs be (we put them on top of the other plates) and they are especially useful if we're having a fry-up which can be greasy so I can drain stuff on the paper plates before putting the food on our melamine plates. Again, useful for raw meat too as you can just bin the paper plate.

The paper plates also are good to help 'jam' the plates in place whilst travelling so stop them 'chattering' on the journey. As for the mugs, we use some plastic tubular net which came off the 5-star base of some office chairs (to protect them in transit) which I got from work - I cut a slot in for the handle to go through and they prevent the cups from clunking against each other and getting chipped etc. I'll need to find something else soon though as after 6 years' of use they are finally starting to split ... some cut down socks (new cheap ones of course!) would do I should think.

Attachments

• beaker.jpg
    beaker.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Very interesting as our first trips will be using stuff from the kitchen but we have found some very nice looking melomine sets.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use a muggi.... (2 of these.. One foam one plastic)
A plate rack we got from Germany and a foam drinking glass stand we also got from Germany.. Double skillet in plastic box and anything else has that non slip stuff on/around it. Cutlery too has that stuff to keep it quiet

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Slumming it - Here come the "poor relatives"

China for indoors at home only

We "slum it" in the motorhome - sorry folks its gotta be said - if we didnt slum it with plastic/melamine and paper plates, we couldnt throw the impromptu gatherings and the paperplates and glasses are well used at such events.

We always have a stash of a few plastic wine glasses too.

If we are away Friday to Sunday we tend to bbq and use paper plates - why spend time washing up when the plates can be burnt on the bbq later on for extra heat in the evening?

Our mugs are a combination of funster mugs and large travel mugs but we also have the throw away cups too. I have two glass wine glasses in the special holders in the motorhome but the rest are plastic.

Just bought a load of wine glasses (plastic) off ebay for my 50th at a fraction of the new price had we bought from the shop and these get used for fun meets and parties.

Living in London with the speed bumps locally there is no way I would put china plates in the motorhome. The thought of removing bubble wrap before each use and then putting bubble wrap in between every single plate and every single bowl everytime they are used is just far too much effort - I prefer spending quality time with family and friends enjoying myself rather than doing chores.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Snip.............

Living in London with the speed bumps locally there is no way I would put china plates in the motorhome. The thought of removing bubble wrap before each use and then putting bubble wrap in between every single plate and every single bowl everytime they are used is just far too much effort -.

I totally agree!

While I do use china and glass in the motorhome, I'm afraid they live in the top cupboard and are just stacked, not packed with bits and pieces to keep them quiet. I couldn't be asked to be honest! My teapot lid rattles a bit and that does get a bit of kitchen towel on it, but I like my 'stuff' to be usable and put awable without the hassle of packing into boxes etc.

For those who do, good on you, but it would not work for me!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back