det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Hi all, I'm new to this website..I'm looking for a Diesel Pusher with Slideouts..I'm looking to go full time travelling in Jan next year and so am ready to buy the best deal I can find..Cash Buyer, can buy in UK or abroad..

Many thanks & Merry xmas :)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Try our sister site the RVOC, dedicated Rv owners, and i know one for sale on ther right now.
Good luck, and welcome.

Craig

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Pusher

Hi there and welcome to Fun:thumb:like Craig has said try the R V Owners Club there are 1 or 2 for sale on there.what is your budget?
brian and jo

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Thanks & Budget

Thanks all for the welcome, I have a budget of around £50000..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
50k would buy a lot of RV in today's market.
Remember bargain hard as there are very few buyers for RVs nowadays .
Good luck. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi all, I'm new to this website..I'm looking for a Diesel Pusher with Slideouts..I'm looking to go full time travelling in Jan next year and so am ready to buy the best deal I can find..Cash Buyer, can buy in UK or abroad..

Many thanks & Merry xmas :)

PM sent:thumb:
brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all for the welcome, I have a budget of around £50000..

you have the budget, but do you have an HGV (class C) licence.
very few diesel pushers cant be driven on a car licenc....dispite what some dealers will have you believe..

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Buying in Canada..

Thanks again for info, there does seem to be one or two reasonable American RVs in the UK. Thinking of going over to Canada to buy as it appears that you can buy so much more for your money and the shipping costs of around c$3000 back to Europe seem to be very reasonable..
I think the current owners/sellers of the bigger American Motorhomeseem to want to apply a serious premium for whats already in the UK. We don't intend to come back to the UK if we purchase here anyway, going to see where we end up travelling the world, setting up a campsite somewhere not yet developed..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you buy overseas and don't come back to the UK to get the UK mods done how are you going to MOT and insure your vehicle.
Bear in mind the UK sourced vans are already converted and registered. 10-12 MPG is quite high for fulltime travelling and if you intend wilding a lot you will need a lot of solar to keep a large vehicle going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Thanks wildman, quite right of course, if not coming back to UK then no need for a UK MOT I guess and where ever we're travelling to will have there own vehicle testing. Portugal is on the cards at the moment although untill we've travelled some, we know where to settle down..There's no benefit to a UK converted vehicle except for the fact that we may do some travelling in UK before saying goodbye to this fair land..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks wildman, quite right of course, if not coming back to UK then no need for a UK MOT I guess and where ever we're travelling to will have there own vehicle testing. Portugal is on the cards at the moment although untill we've travelled some, we know where to settle down..There's no benefit to a UK converted vehicle except for the fact that we may do some travelling in UK before saying goodbye to this fair land..

I didn't think it was as simple as that (turning up anywhere for a test) but hopefully someone with experience will comment. Having once tried to import a vehicle from Kuwait to the UK I wouldn't underestimate the task but it can be done of course.

If you haven't seen it I can recommend Keith Mashiter's book when Katie Pulled Boris which covered the joy of buying a US RV. His second book is worth reading too - he sold the giant RV and bought something much smaller.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think you have missed the point of my post. you cannot travel unless the vehicle is road legal in your home country. To get MOT or equivalent of and insurance you need to be legally resident in that country. Any more than six months out of the UK and you now lose health benefits and right to an EHIC card. You cannot hop around Europe registering as resident in every country, it just does not work that way. Eventually there will be an MOT that spans the EU but not at the moment. Insurance is a pain to get if you are not resident and have a registered address in that country. Most do summer in the UK and winter in the sun so then all bases covered. Having said that an awful lot have downsized in recent years due to access/parking problems let alone the rising cost of fuel.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The problem is that your vehicle will have to be registered somewhere. Normally your country of residence, and will therefore have to comply with that countries regulations. Am afraid its impossible to import from the US and just wander off into the sunset. I wish it was that simple, but it isn't. Import duties and VAT will have to be paid and the vehicle duly MOTd registered, taxed and insured. Then of course you have the problem of it being 110 volts and not being able to plug it in anywhere outside America. Things are never as simple as they first seem.

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Leaving UK for Good

Thanks for all the helpful info, invaluable. .We're leaving the UK permanently hence our being able to get the RV from abroad, we'll register wherever we decide to settle for a while. Yep, we're all sold up, not worried about fuel costs as we're not on a budget for travelling. Please keep your comments and suggestions coming in..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry but the idea has failed at the first hurdle....insurance.
no insurance co will insure a vehicle which isnt registered in the country of residence so you will have to decide which country you want to live in and have a postal address in that country.

you may find it practically impossible to import and register in some countries.

then you will need a converter and again, if its difficult to import it will be even harder to find a converter who knows enough to be able to meet the requirements...main problem being lighting, american auto wiring is an art unto itself with brake lights, side lights and front marker lights etc flashing with indicators and must be redesigned to meet euro spec.

110v isnt a problem if you dont want 230v electric...just needs a 230/110v converter but then you're restricted to 110 volt appliances with the added problem of frequency....america uses 60hz, europe uses 50hz so while 110v appliances will work, they wont work for long.

good luck, but I wont hold my breath.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well have obviously done your homework and found something that fulltimers in the UK have missed someplace. It is NOT possible to register an American RV in most European countries. Many have tried and failed so perhaps you could let us know how you are able to get it MOT'd and registered after importing direct from Canada. Are you even aware if the different width restrictions which make some models totally unacceptable in Europe? Good luck with your quest and eventual travels. Regretfully not all problems can be sorted with oodles of cash.:thumb:

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Disappointed with Negativity :(

Wouldn't life be boring if we all behaved like lemmings..don't do this, don't do that..come on guys, when was the last time you threw caution to the wind & just did whatever you could, when you wanted..so what if you are not in the right place at the right time with the right kit..makes life a little more exciting. .give up your boring day jobs & live life to the full..Signed, a recent cancer survivor :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
People are actually trying to help.Not everyone can afford to see a 50k motorhome go to the crusher.

Never mind try this one
Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Wouldn't life be boring if we all behaved like lemmings..don't do this, don't do that..come on guys, when was the last time you threw caution to the wind & just did whatever you could, when you wanted..so what if you are not in the right place at the right time with the right kit..makes life a little more exciting. .give up your boring day jobs & live life to the full..Signed, a recent cancer survivor :)

That's fine until the shit hits the fan and you find yourself uninsured. You can't register an RV in France, you maybe able to in some other countries, but only if its one of the narrow ones and even then its not an overnight process, more like months.

Best option to me would be get it registered here, then drive abroad. As your going to be moving about it doesn't sound like you will be in any one country long enough to register anywhere else anyway.:Smile:

Best of luck from a fellow cancer survivor.

Ian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Mmmm
Same thoughts as most here im afraid, it does look like your in denial and in need of a reality check:RollEyes:

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not intending to break any laws in respect of insurance etc but the most important thing about what we're doing is comfort. I intend to use the trip to identify land to purchase for the purpose of building a camping site from scratch. .building roads, infrastructure complete. .France is out as we're probably going to set up in Portugal, already stated..I'm aware of restrictions as to the larver rv but am not daunted at a challenge. .lands real cheap by comparison to most at the moment. .I have property on Crete so we wont be stuck with registration out of th uk..more thoughts maybe please. .

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
From a fellow Rv`er,
sorry I can`t help with the legalities of any of it. I bought mine from a UK dealer and have been happy with there service, both before, and after sales.
What I will say, is i`m very happy with mine, and they are certainly comfortable. I have three son`s 13,15,17 who travel with us, and there is enough room to be comfy.
Myself, I like things to be easy. If you could buy in the u.k, register, and insure, and buy well, hopefully you would see your money back after a year, without all the agro of importing, and modifying.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck !

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Try the following website - the couple have travelled most places full-timing in an RV (but always came back to the UK once a year to get it serviced, MoT'd etc). They have lots of advice and there are pieces written by others following the same or, even more adventurous paths. Pretty much everything you might want to know is on there:
http://www.magbaztravels.com/

They did however, after many years experience, switch to a smaller van.

You might also like:
http://www.motorhomelifers.co.uk/
Ali and Mike have been full-timing for 11 years and had a number of vehicles including RVs (but eventually settled for a panel van.)

Keith:Smile:

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Very Kind & Informative

Thanks so much for the positive info, that's exactly what I need, I'm afraid it appears that folk are daunted at something different and possibly challenging, I retired at 40 some 20 years ago now, just getting over throat cancer and so life goes on. I've met & dealt with many challenges in my lifes' path and certainly have not lead a conventional life. We're looking at all possibilities of the purchase and of course can achieve this in many different ways, if we can find a sensibly priced RV here and use it shortly to try out in the UK then we will but as already stated, the Canadian Dollar is the best exchange rate for us at the moment and thats where the best value is. UK sellers seem to want a massive profit on what they have, so I think we're in a pretty good position to buy and deal anywhere subject to price only..

Once again, you're a star and we appreciate your time in contributing helpful, positive info that says get on and just do it..

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Here's some useful info on vehicle importation whether UK registered or not look for Visas on the left panel:
Vehicle importation

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back