HSBC - withdrawal charges (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Just noticed that HSBC have started making non-sterling transaction charges for my withdrawals & general spending in Spain. This is for cash & general purchases on my VISA.:Angry:

I have an Advance Acct for which I pay £14 per month - and when I checked in August that there were no charges for withdrawals any where in Europe, they confirmed this.

Its about 3% and started on 19 Nov. I've written to them asking what the story is? I cant find anything in their small print.:whatthe: The only thing I have noticed is the exchange rate they give is quite good.

Anyone else noticed this? I await their reply.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yes, charged me when I was in Bruges last weekend. Next time I'm going abroad I'll compare their charges with Nationwide, they may be cheaper.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Non Sterling Charges

I have noticed this too, I spoke with the bank and it turns out that up until the change you got your transaction at a rate of exchange which included this service charge i.e. if the current bank rate was €1.18 to the pound they did your transaction at €1.15 (approx 2.5% less); now they do the transaction at the official bank rate, 1.18 above and then charge you 2.5% of the sterling amount.
The figures above are all rounded examples so please don't check the maths, I haven't worked them out.
I did actually read the notice of change to T&Cs for a change.
I had a whole raft of charges hit by this and it all worked out about right but I am sure that if anybody won out of the change it was the bank; incidentally I think the change was made by Visa and not by HSBC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andyandsues

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
africa,asia,europe
Funster No
MH
luton,CI cusona
Exp
fulltime since 2007
me too

jep me too!
noticed 2 charges on a cash withdrawal from an atm in Chile whilst on the same day only one on a nationwide withdrawal

ill be using nationwide in future as they both give the interbank rate which is good and ill be popping in to HSBC when im back in the UK TO HAVE IT OUT

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had an online notification yesterday.... :Sad:

I had just made a flight booking back from Spain in Euro's and that now shows as a higher exchange rate but with the "fee" as a seperate item...

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Could it be they are passing on the ‘local’ charges over which they have no control, I may ask a friend of mine who works for VISA Europe…

OP
OP
billkce
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Wrote to my bank & got a gobble-de-gook answer, so conducted experiment at ATM, (all figures -ish)

Withdrew €110 using EURO button, got €1.995 to the £. Great rate. Bank charged me £2.50 'non sterling transaction fee'. Total £94.50::bigsmile:

Withdrew €110 using POUND button: Total: £97:RollEyes:

Therefore still better deal by choosing Euro.

My conclusion is that HSBC have upped their VISA exchange rate by about 3 cents but charge 2 1/2 % non sterling transaction fee.

Therefore, in essence NO CHANGE. Which is more or less what the gobble-de-gook said.:Sad:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi. Check out the Halifax X credit card. Think it's this one,
Link Removed

No details on my credit card to confirm but leave that up to you.

Anyway the important bit is there are no foreign currency charges or transaction fees other than an interest payment on cash withdrawals. When used end of August this year only paid interest on cash withdrawals and that was minimal in comparison to a card & Nationwide.

Card was flagged on moneysaving expert as cheapest for use abroad.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Therefore, in essence NO CHANGE. Which is more or less what the gobble-de-gook said.:Sad:

Oh, I'd say a big change. They're conditioning you to accept a handling fee. Now give them a few weeks and see what happens to the exchange rate.

Halifax Clarity was the card of choice around here a few months ago. I signed up on line but not used it abroad yet.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Halifax Clarity was the card of choice around here a few months ago. I signed up on line but not used it abroad yet.

Still is in this camp. Will be giving it some wellie in a couple of weeks time :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just applied for the Clarity Card and it's on the way! Unlike the Saga card I tried for in May before our foreign trip, got turned down for that, I can only think it was because our credit rating was too good when I checked Experian later. :Doh:

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
We are going to use clarity card for purchases - but what do you recommend for obtaining cash abroad? We are off in April for a year travelling in southern half of Europe . Debit card and accept the fee?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We are going to use clarity card for purchases - but what do you recommend for obtaining cash abroad? We are off in April for a year travelling in southern half of Europe . Debit card and accept the fee?

Thanks

We have got the Halifax Clarity card but haven't used it yet. Will see how it goes when we set off for Spain next Monday. :Smile:

Interested to see what others recommend for getting cash abroad.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Simples. Move to N and P No charges whatsoever and the current Visa exchange rate!

I wouldn't waste your breath.

I've been telling people about N&P for years but it seems to be in their blind spot.

Current exchange rate 1.2025 and no charges for cash or purchase.

A no brainer really.

:Cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Nationwide

Nationwide have already introduced charges.

Took 300E from the hole in the wall in Valencia

Equals:
£5.04 Non UK commission fee
£1.00 Non UK cash withdrawal fee

Not cheap to get my own cash out of the bank :Sad::Sad:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
For years I have been using Caxton. I put money on the card when the exchange rate is 'good', it stays on the card until I go to France or Spain and I draw the cash out from an ATM - no charges. I also use it to fund my bank account in Spain. The local branch of Barclays was charging me 25 euros to put money into my account! - this way it is free and I get a good exchange rate.:Smile:

Mike

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
For years I have been using Caxton. I put money on the card when the exchange rate is 'good', it stays on the card until I go to France or Spain and I draw the cash out from an ATM - no charges. I also use it to fund my bank account in Spain. The local branch of Barclays was charging me 25 euros to put money into my account! - this way it is free and I get a good exchange rate.:Smile:

Mike

Caxton current 1.17

N&P current 1.20

:Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just checking their terms and conditions and it says foreign use charge of 2.99% and if a cash withdrawal an extra 5% (min of £5).
Is yours a different card from their standard Mastercard?

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Hi. I carry HSBC Visa Credit card as a spare. Having used it once in France on way here for fuel, will only use again in a emergency. As you say they've added an extra transaction charge. I use my Nationwide Credit Card for all daily expenses, which is paid in full on DD every month at no extra charge and at a good rate of exchange. I use their Debit card to get cash from machines, and always withdraw maximum amount to minimise costs.

Just noticed that HSBC have started making non-sterling transaction charges for my withdrawals & general spending in Spain. This is for cash & general purchases on my VISA.:Angry:

I have an Advance Acct for which I pay £14 per month - and when I checked in August that there were no charges for withdrawals any where in Europe, they confirmed this.

Its about 3% and started on 19 Nov. I've written to them asking what the story is? I cant find anything in their small print.:whatthe: The only thing I have noticed is the exchange rate they give is quite good.

Anyone else noticed this? I await their reply.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cash

Hi

My cards are Clarity for spending and N&P debit card for cash. I no longer bother with Caxton as the rates are not as good as the other two.

Read Link Broken with actual rate examples.

Russell

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Also use N & P Debit Card for ATM cash, and the Nationwide Credit card for all other transactions, both we use worldwide with no fees and good exchange rates. We pay off the credit card in full each month.
Have noticed recently in France and Spain when using the Credit card an increasing trend to ask you if you want to pay in Pounds or Euros, always pick euros or you will get an inferior exchange rate and charges for selecting pounds.
:Smile::Smile::thumb:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I use a Travelex cashpassportglobe card which I load from my bank account. The bank does not charge to load the card and I do not (apparently) get charged for withdrawals. Their exchange rate is normally ok, although fairfx and Caxton are slightly better I believe. I got the card when it was free a while back.

Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have used my card 3 times here in Spain and Portugal and each time got a good exchange rate but 1.20 service charge.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back