Stopover between Santander and Isla Plana. (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi everyone, we are taking the Santander ferry on 17th January and heading for Las Moriles in Isla Plana, but don't want to belt through in one go. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay over en route?

Many thanks, Gary and Sue

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
benicasim just north of Valencia. Good road all the way. Easy days drive. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I assume that you mean the site in Murcia so the best way is through Madrid. Your first problem will be where to stay when you arrive in Santander, this was discussed quite recently as the ferry arrives at around 5.30pm. On the other post there was an Aire mentioned but the other post could have been on the other Forum, not sure if I have my Facts right though.:roflmto:
If you prefer a campsite then you could make it to Burgos which is about 2 hours away. after that you could stay at Aranjuez which is about 20 mile south of Madrid. We will be staying there on the 29 Dec. after driving down through France.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I assume that you mean the site in Murcia so the best way is through Madrid. Your first problem will be where to stay when you arrive in Santander, this was discussed quite recently as the ferry arrives at around 5.30pm. On the other post there was an Aire mentioned but the other post could have been on the other Forum, not sure if I have my Facts right though.:roflmto:
If you prefer a campsite then you could make it to Burgos which is about 2 hours away. after that you could stay at Aranjuez which is about 20 mile south of Madrid. We will be staying there on the 29 Dec. after driving down through France.

Mike

I think in january the quicker you hit the med the better.About nine hours to Benicasim and then an easy run next day to Isla Plana. Lovely site by the way. Bad time to dock in Santander because it will be dark. Commercial shopping centre going west out of town but do not know if you can park there.BUSBY:roflmto:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I think in january the quicker you hit the med the better.About nine hours to Benicasim and then an easy run next day to Isla Plana. Lovely site by the way. Bad time to dock in Santander because it will be dark. Commercial shopping centre going west out of town but do not know if you can park there.BUSBY:roflmto:

Its 450 mile from Santander to Benicassim and then a further 242 mile to Isla Plana yet its only 546 mile going via Madrid.
Assuming that I have the correct site in Murcia why would you want to add 146 mile to your journey.
Having travelled down to Murcia from Santander for the last seven years in Jan/Feb I must be doing it wrong.

Mike

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
1st Stopover from Santander

We are booked on the Portsmouth to Santander ferry next Friday. I don't intend driving very far in the dark, so hoping to stay on a campsite at Santillana (about 20 miles from Santander) lots of places to eat nearby!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We are booked on the Portsmouth to Santander ferry next Friday. I don't intend driving very far in the dark, so hoping to stay on a campsite at Santillana (about 20 miles from Santander) lots of places to eat nearby!

Stayed there a few years ago on the way back, the pitches are grass and from what I saw quite small and they get very wet. I would email the site and make sure that they will be open and also ask if you can park on the road between the pitches.

Mike

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We used to do that trip each winter ....we always stopped at La Cabrera just north of Madrid. Its an acsi site about 240 miles from Santander then just over 300 miles to Isla Plana If you leave around 8am you can be at Los Madriles about 1-2pm.
Anne

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Its 450 mile from Santander to Benicassim and then a further 242 mile to Isla Plana yet its only 546 mile going via Madrid.
Assuming that I have the correct site in Murcia why would you want to add 146 mile to your journey.
Having travelled down to Murcia from Santander for the last seven years in Jan/Feb I must be doing it wrong.

Mike

Everyone to there own Mike, i enjoy a couple of days on coast at Benicasim on route. Some years we will hit the med further up and have a couple of stops before Mazzaron. BUSBY::bigsmile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Whats going on in Isla Plana?

So I was just 'surfing' the forum and noticed this. We are still looking to 'go sarf' in January for a couple of months and have been considering Portugal.

Any reason why I should consider Spain? or particularly Isla Plana?

Cheers ::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Isla Plana is an excellent site, heated pools open all winter, bit of a micro climate, plenty of walking and cycling and only 100 yds to the sea. BUSBY:roflmto:

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Spain and Isla Plana

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank everyone who has posted advice on stopovers en route. I think we will go for the Aire outside Santander, mentioned in an earlier thread (the one with the zoo!).

Why Isla Plana?

Some friends if ours go there every Winter from October to March and on our way back up the Med Coast from Morocco last year, we stayed at several sites, but the best area by far was Isla Plana. It is just south of Cartagena, and unspoilt (no high rises, not obviously touristy) and seemed very relaxed. The campsite was reasonably priced (€400) PCM and the facilities and pitches very good. Heated, large swimming pool fed by a natural spring I believe. Whilst there we rode up into the mountains on our hybrid bikes (a road route, not mountain biking). The ride was steep and about 6 miles long but the views from the guns overlooking the bay of. Cartagena were stunning and we vowed to return this next year. I'm not the most adept at putting photos on websites but will try to locate and post a few thumbnails. The other sites we stayed at included Cabopino (too many Brits! too close to the motorway), Bella Vista (very new, right next to the beach, excellent pitches, superb underground washroom facilities and a short walk from good restaurants; overall, top notch) and finally Villanova park (much too large and busy for our tastes).

So for us, Los Mariles fits the bill and the icing on the cake is that we will be spending a few weeks with not one but two couples we met in Morocco who have since become very good friends. Peter and Paula Paskell and Martin and Jill Broome. Roll on January!::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Santander and Beyond

We are doing this journey on the 27th December Santander to Los madriles campsite. There for a month then van in storage nearby whillst we easyjet it home. Back to Spain early march to take a steady trip back via the alps for some skiing enroute home.

Our plan is to stop at either of the two Aires below

1, Aguilar de campoo N42deg27.168minW004deg 15.445min off A67 circa 55 miles south of Santander ( number 27 in spain aires book 3rd edition)

or if we make good time-

2, Osorno la mayor N42deg 25.001 W004deg 21.060 again off A67 motorway circa 86 miles south of Santander ( number 92 in book).

It is our intention to arrive the campsite on the 29th so if we can sensibly make the Osorno stop then that will reduce time on the road the following day.

Take a look at the aires on Google earth where you can also see it with 'street view'

See ya there .

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Aires near Santander

We are doing this journey on the 27th December Santander to Los madriles campsite. There for a month then van in storage nearby whillst we easyjet it home. Back to Spain early march to take a steady trip back via the alps for some skiing enroute home.

Our plan is to stop at either of the two Aires below

1, Aguilar de campoo N42deg27.168minW004deg 15.445min off A67 circa 55 miles south of Santander ( number 27 in spain aires book 3rd edition)

or if we make good time-

2, Osorno la mayor N42deg 25.001 W004deg 21.060 again off A67 motorway circa 86 miles south of Santander ( number 92 in book).

It is our intention to arrive the campsite on the 29th so if we can sensibly make the Osorno stop then that will reduce time on the road the following day.

Take a look at the aires on Google earth where you can also see it with 'street view'

See ya there .

Hi,

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for! Will aim for Osorno I think, for the same reason as you. How will we recognise you when we get there? Look for frilly pants???::bigsmile:

Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Ive thought of all sorts of silly answers such as carrying a rolled up copy of the Times or wearing odd shoes but the sensible side of me would advise you that we have a Knaus with a personal number plate. Sorry to dissapoint but no frilly pants. Look forward to meeting you there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back