Brittany Ferries measuring vehicles. (1 Viewer)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
For the first time ever our Motorhome was measured before we were allowed to board the ferry. We arrived at Portsmouth to board the Brittany Ferries service to Santander yesterday. We drove up to the kiosk and handed over our ticket and passports to the young lady in the kiosk. She checked our details on her computer and then came out of the kiosk and proceeded to measure our Motorhome with a surveyors wheel. All was ok and we were allowed to board the ferry. Whilst on board we heard of motor homers and Caravanners being charged a supplement of £60 as their vehicles were longer than that stated on their booking form, some by a matter of only 7 or 8 inches, they were not allowed to board until the supplement had been paid. I am not sure if this is to become a regular practice but best be aware in case it is.

Brisey.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some years ago a pal of mine had his Range Rover measured on the ferry car deck. He had booked it as a Range Rover,but he omitted to tell them it was on and extended chassis. It still had the 4 doors,but a 3 foot extension on the body.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ours was measured earlier this year when we boarded at Portsmouth .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 6, 2009
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Intergratedq
Exp
since 2003
When we left the uk from Portsmouth in November we were a group of 4 motorhomes, we all got measured with the wheel and 2 had to pay surcharges of different amounts. I asked the guy who said this is the new system and that they found a lot of people using incorrect details:cry:.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is a surveyers wheel that accurate when measuring a vehicle?

I've seen them use it a few times. They re probably only looking to the nearest metre, to catch those that really [STRIKE]are taking the pi..[/STRIKE] have made a mistake when submitting the length :Smile:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
The next trick they will come up with will be to charge you for over inflated tyres . any trick in the book to make a profit .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I worked for a ferry company and the tricks people would pull to save money were legion. Kids under the seats in a caravan were not uncommon.

One reason for measuring is quite simple, so the ship knows how many vehicle to load. If 20 motorhomes or cars under declared by 0.5 metres who wants to tell the last motorhomer that they can't get on, even though they are booked!

Rds
Bill

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Dover kiosk the operater has tape marks alongside top of kiosk, not accarute but as a guide. Sends those deemed over claimed length to payment office for supervisor to decide. Hymer had arial and rails which put me over 2.5 height. Did not have to pay extra but supervisor pointed out that loading van on ship they may have tried to load me as under 2.5 and may have caused tight squeeze.:whatthe:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The next trick they will come up with will be to charge you for over inflated tyres . any trick in the book to make a profit .

I don’t see it as a "Trick" to get more money, I guess they only want what is due to them. A charge per metre is what they advertise and I guess they don’t want people saying the vehicle is 6Mtrs when it is 7 Mtrs.

I guess that, I would want paying for what I advertise....no trick!:thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I don't mind at all paying for the length of the motorhome but really object if you put in ' no greater than 8m ' as an example and say you are 7.5m . Then they ask you to declare a cycle rack and increase the cost !! Surely you have already paid for 8m !!

:Eeek:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Some years ago we were turned away from speedferries for being 4 inches too long (car and trailer). They gave us a credit for the crossing we had to go via P&O cost us £220 instead of the £59 with speedferries.

Have always made doubly sure of the measurements since then.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy whatsoever with anyone who does this INTENTIONALLY and I know for a fact that people do do this! :Angry:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

When you book,you are asked to state the length of the vehicle-if you get it wrong or deliberately understate it you should pay.:thumb:
Vehicle lengths are needed to plan the 'packing' of the vehicle decks,it wouldn't take many half metre 'errors' to mess things up.

Mike

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
When you book,you are asked to state the length of the vehicle-if you get it wrong or deliberately understate it you should pay.:thumb:
Vehicle lengths are needed to plan the 'packing' of the vehicle decks,it wouldn't take many half metre 'errors' to mess things up.

Mike

Not all ferries ask the exact measurements . Some give ' are you between measurements ' hence my post

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I'm not surprised about the measuring, but what I am surprised about is that they don't ask for weights. Not for charging you (although i'm sure they would!) but for balance.
I know they are great big things, and carry great big HGV's and all sorts, but at the end of the day they are floating hunks of metal, and, just as like in an aircraft, weight and balance is critical.
The only way I want to be on a wonky ship is if it's me thats wonky:drink:!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
So why can't slim people travel cheaper on planes than those that are not slim?
Would people lie about their weight if asked when booking?

And to stay on topic, DFDS MH dimensions are 2.35 x 7m and 4.35 x 10m.
So even if you were just under 7m in length how many that long are under 2.35m in height, mine is 2.98m x 7.35m so the bigger size.
Only £5 more or as last August when booked in February, the same price whatever size MH.

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
I have had my motorhome measured many times when crossing from the Isle of Wight, but have never been asked to pay a supplement even though it is a few inches over the 7m ticket length.

I have however had to pay extra to cross on an earlier boat than booked as I may have purchased a special price ticket for a boat sailing after a certain time. It`s either pay up or sit on the dock till the correct sailing arrives, not good when I have just driven halfway across Europe and want to get home.

As an aside, be aware that Wightlink have recently `restructured` their fares, so expect to pay more if you intend to visit the island next year. My advise would be to try Red Funnel as they seem to be more friendly to visitors from the North island :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I'm not surprised about the measuring, but what I am surprised about is that they don't ask for weights. Not for charging you (although i'm sure they would!) but for balance.
I know they are great big things, and carry great big HGV's and all sorts, but at the end of the day they are floating hunks of metal, and, just as like in an aircraft, weight and balance is critical.
The only way I want to be on a wonky ship is if it's me thats wonky:drink:!

Ships still have the Plimsol Line that denotes how high or low they are in the water according to the weight of the vessel and cargo. There is a maximum load line that they will go to. The ferries are designed to take a maximum load weight, which they will probably rarely, if ever, reach.
They also have ballast tanks that are distributed along the length and width of the ship. These are used to level the ship so that it always sits at the correct attitude.
So you don't have to go on a wonky ship. :thumb:
:helptitanic::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I worked for a ferry company and the tricks people would pull to save money were legion. Kids under the seats in a caravan were not uncommon.

One reason for measuring is quite simple, so the ship knows how many vehicle to load. If 20 motorhomes or cars under declared by 0.5 metres who wants to tell the last motorhomer that they can't get on, even though they are booked!

Rds
Bill

But, if they still let you on after [STRIKE]they have a whip round,[/STRIKE] you pay a supplement, I assume all the extra cash is so the owners of the motorhome that can't get on can go and get a slap up meal as compensation till the next ferry turns up?

I'd buy that, and make sure I was always last to arrive....

Allan

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
On a different note whilst we were in the Netherlands recently we crossed under the Westerschelde Sea Tunnel. A glance at the sign as we went in said €7.90 but when we arrived at the toll barrier, which is a couple of miles after you come out of the tunnel, the computerised system measured us up in an instant. and the pretty lady operative said in perfect English €18.20 due to you height. :Eeek:

Needless to say if they are lots of people undersizing their vans on car ferries then surely this is compromising safety. The companies need to calculate lengths and approximate weights in order to ballast the vessel correctly. If the thing capsized and it was found that 10% of the vehicles were not as stated on the manifest then its goodnight irene in terms of any insurance claim against the ferry company. :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
On a different note whilst we were in the Netherlands recently we crossed under the Westerschelde Sea Tunnel. A glance at the sign as we went in said €7.90 but when we arrived at the toll barrier, which is a couple of miles after you come out of the tunnel, the computerised system measured us up in an instant. and the pretty lady operative said in perfect English €18.20 due to you height. :Eeek:

Needless to say if they are lots of people undersizing their vans on car ferries then surely this is compromising safety. The companies need to calculate lengths and approximate weights in order to ballast the vessel correctly. If the thing capsized and it was found that 10% of the vehicles were not as stated on the manifest then its goodnight irene in terms of any insurance claim against the ferry company. :Sad:

What many do not know is that in the event of a capsize, there is little you can claim from a ferry company for your vehicle. It used to be £100 max. Maybe its gone up a little with inflation, but I doubt it. All comes under the heading of the Athens convention.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ferries are never close to their maximum load and carry ballast every trip even when full of heavy artics they can shift the ballast (water)around to stay level and the right height in the water

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As a "young" 2nd Officer many moons ago on a cross channel ferry I remember a caravan coming down the ramp.

He was with a group of small vans, motor-homes etc. and we were parking them up in the wings which had a height restriction. I directed him in behind the white van man in front, there was a a small noise. He came out the van raging looking up at the roof of his van. The tip had broken off his, as I know now "crappy" Status flying saucer antenna.

Boy he went ballistic, threatening he would get me sacked and claim compensation. After calming him down, I asked to see his ticket upon checking he had declared his height at 2.3m or something like that. The wings had a 2.5 or 2.6 limit. I then told him he had been placed in a lane in accordance with his declared height, if he wished to pursue the matter please make a claim at the information desk on board. He then walked off sheepishly with his tail between his legs and I heard nothing further..
I smiled at him as he left in Calais, he did not smile back...:Sad:

So when you are given a lane number before boarding there is a reason why you are given a certain lane.

..and most ferries now have automatic heeling tanks to keep them upright particularly during loading, and freight ferries can often load very close to their marks (Plimsoll line).

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
For the first time ever our Motorhome was measured before we were allowed to board the ferry. We arrived at Portsmouth to board the Brittany Ferries service to Santander yesterday. We drove up to the kiosk and handed over our ticket and passports to the young lady in the kiosk. She checked our details on her computer and then came out of the kiosk and proceeded to measure our Motorhome with a surveyors wheel. All was ok and we were allowed to board the ferry. Whilst on board we heard of motor homers and Caravanners being charged a supplement of £60 as their vehicles were longer than that stated on their booking form, some by a matter of only 7 or 8 inches, they were not allowed to board until the supplement had been paid. I am not sure if this is to become a regular practice but best be aware in case it is.

Brisey.

So the only people to worry about this are those who have lied about the length of their unit.......am I boverred....No! :thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just a thought...

What about those that ask for a 'Classe Deux' price on the French autoroutes even though their MH is taller than 2.99m and they know they are class 3?

Are they diddlers or is that fair game?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As a "young" 2nd Officer many moons ago on a cross channel ferry I remember a caravan coming down the ramp.

He was with a group of small vans, motor-homes etc. and we were parking them up in the wings which had a height restriction. I directed him in behind the white van man in front, there was a a small noise. He came out the van raging looking up at the roof of his van. The tip had broken off his, as I know now "crappy" Status flying saucer antenna.

Boy he went ballistic, threatening he would get me sacked and claim compensation. After calming him down, I asked to see his ticket upon checking he had declared his height at 2.3m or something like that. The wings had a 2.5 or 2.6 limit. [HI]I then told him he had been placed in a lane in accordance with his declared height,[/HI] if he wished to pursue the matter please make a claim at the information desk on board. He then walked off sheepishly with his tail between his legs and I heard nothing further..
I smiled at him as he left in Calais, he did not smile back...:Sad:

So when you are given a lane number before boarding there is a reason why you are given a certain lane.

..and most ferries now have automatic heeling tanks to keep them upright particularly during loading, and freight ferries can often load very close to their marks (Plimsoll line).

Bet that gave you a great feeling, I love it when I have asked people to eat large portions of humble pie :thumb:
Although I've eaten a fair amount myself!

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Our motorhome is a fraction over 6m, and the bike trailer is a little under 4m. The whole rig comes in at just under 10m. So when booking, I'd declare the total 10m length and 3m height so we don't knock anything off the roof. (If I declare the correct lengths individually, I'll be charged quite a bit more for an 11m total).

What would you declare?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our motorhome is a fraction over 6m, and the bike trailer is a little under 4m. The whole rig comes in at just under 10m. So when booking, I'd declare the total 10m length and 3m height so we don't knock anything off the roof. (If I declare the correct lengths individually, I'll be charged quite a bit more for an 11m total).

What would you declare?

I think you have answered your own question, or you would not have asked....if it's longer than 10m... then 11m it is ...or the next size up... if it asks what is your van length and yours is 6 + meters then I suppose 6.5 or 7m depending on what the next size is ...if also it asks for your trailer size and it is just under 4m then 4m it is ....:thumb:

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Continental Touring

:whatthe: Glad I have read about this - we go to France nearly every year and this has never happened to us - will check our van before I book next time just in case!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back