Draughty roof skylights (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Can anyone help me find a thread that was on here a while ago about how to stop the draught howling in through the roof skylights ?

I've searched for ages and can't find it and feel such a numpty. :Blush:
Must be an age thing.

I seem to recall it was done by putting some kind of strip onto the glass/plastic edge to form a seal.

It's amazing the amount of cold air that comes in from there. All the trouble that manufacturers go to with insulation and heaters etc. and then leave bl**dy holes in the roof.

Looking forward to all of your replies, no matter how much you rip the p**s out of me. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you sure the draughts arent coming through the vents around the skylights.

many types have these vents for ventilation :)Doh:) when the light is closed.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

many types have these vents for ventilation (e vents and into the roof space) when the light is closed.

I thought that could be the cause, but if I put my hand up between the roof and the glass/plastic I can definitely feel a draught.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If it's the vents around the window,I cover mine with masking tape if it's really cold.

Vlad

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

many types have these vents for ventilation :)Doh:) when the light is closed.

Sometimes when we are driving along all nice and cosy there is a sudden icy blast down the back of our necks and down to our legs.
If this is coming through the vents is it possible/advisable to remove the vent covers and block off the vents by some means, such as gaffer tape ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi, we used to have this problem. I got some foam lagging from been and qued and placed it where the rood shuts. I then wound down the roof lights and then bingo gob done. It's basicall where they do not completely seal between the roof and the hatch.

i done this way because as soon as the warmer weather comes, nothing is permananet.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
hi, we used to have this problem. I got some foam lagging from been and qued and placed it where the rood shuts. I then wound down the roof lights and then bingo gob done. It's basicall where they do not completely seal between the roof and the hatch.

i done this way because as soon as the warmer weather comes, nothing is permananet.

That sounds like a damn fine idea to me. :thumb:

Good luck on Sunday.
I only live a couple of miles from Roseberry Topping but I will be over at Scarborough that weekend driving a fairground organ to charity do's in Whitby, Rosedale and Scarborough town centre.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is this what youre looking for?
Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I got some draught excluder (the foam type you stick on domestic house external door frames) which I found fitted perfectly into the channel running round the edge of the roof light 'glass' and mated up to the frame below when closed, thus preventing any draught from getting in, I had to use 2 layers of the stuff to get sufficient depth on it but it certainly worked a treat.

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I got some draught excluder (the foam type you stick on domestic house external door frames) which I found fitted perfectly into the channel running round the edge of the roof light 'glass' and mated up to the frame below when closed, thus preventing any draught from getting in, I had to use 2 layers of the stuff to get sufficient depth on it but it certainly worked a treat.

Link Removed

I've got a roll of that in the garage. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got a roll of that in the garage. :thumb:

Just one word of warning - it sticks like sh*t to a shovel so make sure you have it in the right place first time ... I did it by gradually peeling off the backing and pushing it in at the same time (if you have fat fingers find something of a suitable size to push it in with) - if you try to take all the backing off first you will come unstuck ... or rather get stuck up ... errrr stick it up where you don't want it ... oh heck, I think you get my drift! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just one word of warning - it sticks like sh*t to a shovel so make sure you have it in the right place first time ... I did it by gradually peeling off the backing and pushing it in at the same time (if you have fat fingers find something of a suitable size to push it in with) - if you try to take all the backing off first you will come unstuck ... or rather get stuck up ... errrr stick it up where you don't want it ... oh heck, I think you get my drift! :RollEyes:

You mean I could end up with a sticky end. :winky:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had this problem with one of our skylights so I got Highbridge to fit a deflector just in front of it, had to pay although we bought the van from them new six month prior to them doing the work. :Sad:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Numerous owners have complained about Autotrail roof lights being over draughty, you need to fill them up with sealant to cure it. They did mine at the factory, it stopped it.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We had this problem with one of our skylights so I got Highbridge to fit a deflector just in front of it, had to pay although we bought the van from them new six month prior to them doing the work. :Sad:

Ours has a deflector but it all depends on which way the wind is blowing and how strong it is. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I feel a fool and annoyed all at the same time.

Because the cold coming in was so bad I asked the dealer to check out the seals when it was in having warranty work done. (see Autotrail woes)
The dealer said that the seals were fine and it was coming through the vents. I took them at their word.
Having had enough of the draughts and cold, today I climbed up and had a look for myself. Only one quarter of each rooflight has a seal, on the hinge side. The rest has nothing, so the elements just blow in, which would account for finding leaves and dirt in the MH after it has been swept out.

Now you see why I feel a fool and am annoyed together.

The dealer will be finding out tomorrow morning, first thing.
I was only there this morning, as I passed on my way to an appointment elsewhere, to enquire about the work that is still waiting for parts.
I just don't trust them to do anything at all now, even if it is warranty work.
I will also be ringing Autotrail to see what their excuse is and what they are going to do about it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can get these:

Fiamma Universal Spoiler

New Fiamma Universal Spoiler, universal aerodynamic roof spoiler; ideal for reducing vibrations and rooflight noise while travelling.
Made with UV-ray resistant sturdy PVC material. It can be shortened to adapt itself to the different rooflights with dimensions from 110 cm to 28 cm. Easy to install without tools and without drilling the roof: can be attached with suitable adhesives (Sikaflex). Complete of smart lateral aerodynamic end caps.
Dimensions: 110 x 20 x 12h cms

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I am now informed.

After having a rant about the draughts coming in through the rooflights I have to put the balance right.

After speaking to Auto-Trail about it I was informed that because of the regulations about ventilation of the MH it is not possible for some manufacturers to fit all of the rubber seals.
This is the case with my MH, which it is why it is so draughty and cold.
Apparently, Auto-Trail have had complaints about this and did a recalculation on the Lo-Line Comanche. The result being that they can completely seal the front rooflight as long as the extractor fan is fitted.
They cannot seal the toilet or bedroom ones as they are separate rooms and calculated as such. So it is down to the owner to decide.
A bulletin was sent out to all dealers advising of this, but it looks like Catterick Caravans never read theirs, or forgot about it.

I was a bit aggressive on the phone to Catterick Caravans workshop lady this morning, so I will apologise to her personally. She is between a rock and a hard place. She doesn't write the policies. :Blush:

I have ordered the seals from Leisure Spares and will collect and fit them this afternoon. I think that there are enough draughts to aid ventilation already, so all of the seals will be in place.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
After having a rant about the draughts coming in through the rooflights I have to put the balance right.

After speaking to Auto-Trail about it I was informed that because of the regulations about ventilation of the MH it is not possible for some manufacturers to fit all of the rubber seals.
This is the case with my MH, which it is why it is so draughty and cold.
Apparently, Auto-Trail have had complaints about this and did a recalculation on the Lo-Line Comanche. The result being that they can completely seal the front rooflight as long as the extractor fan is fitted.
They cannot seal the toilet or bedroom ones as they are separate rooms and calculated as such. So it is down to the owner to decide.
A bulletin was sent out to all dealers advising of this, but it looks like Catterick Caravans never read theirs, or forgot about it.

I was a bit aggressive on the phone to Catterick Caravans workshop lady this morning, so I will apologise to her personally. She is between a rock and a hard place. She doesn't write the policies. :Blush:

I have ordered the seals from Leisure Spares and will collect and fit them this afternoon. I think that there are enough draughts to aid ventilation already, so all of the seals will be in place.

And Auto trail have to Audacity to tell you that their motor homes are fully winterised..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Collected the seals from Leisure Spares on Friday on our way over to Scarborough to work on the steam engines.
On the drive over we were constantly feeling cold draughts blowing in to the cab area.
As soon as we got there I went up on the roof and put the seals in place.
The difference is amazing. The heating on electric only (which is nowhere near as good as gas) was enough to keep the MH warm and comfortable.
On the drive home SWMBO never once complained of being cold and in a draught, and we commented on this when we parked up.

What a difference. :thumb:

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Collected our brand new Autotrail Comanche last week - still no seal fitted to the roof vent.
10+ other new ATs on site not 1 had a seal.
Going back in 2 weeks with my short snag list, I'll post their answer.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is it this one? I think this is already fitted on mine but the ends are not superglued together so it has contracted to leave a big gap :Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How much! :Eeek:

I used some domestic door draught excluder (sticky back) which works a treat and comes in various sizes/colours:

There are more on here:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
in my last van we had a simler problem we just cut up some old camping mat to slightly bigger size of the sky light hole pulled the window down job done remove in the summer:thumb:

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Is it this one? I think this is already fitted on mine but the ends are not superglued together so it has contracted to leave a big gap :Eeek:

Those are the ones and they should go all the way round the Heki, fitted into a small groove.
Dometic say that you should superglue the butt ends together and superglue the corners down.
Haven't done the gluing yet, but no draughts anyway.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I bought the last one in stock and delivery was very quick.
Yes I did think it expensive BUT now I have it in the hand I can see the quality. Much better than my original in that it has a velvet edge now which should prevent it sticking too.
CA_03301413453430-M.jpg

CA_03301413452195-S.jpg

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Techno100

That's the same as the ones that I bought, and as you say, a lot better quality.

I wonder if they only had three in stock, 'cos I bought two of that type, or if I have started a rush on them as others have discovered they don't have them either ? ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back