Bank accounts abroad for longtermers (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Have many of you opened a foreign bank account? As we will be spending extended periods abroad from March we plan on opening an account in France and/or Spain otherwise we will be charged every time we draw money from a cashpoint. I have already swapped to a Halifax credit card as there is no fee for using it abroad. What are your experiences with foreign accounts or international accounts from a British bank? Has anyone discovered the cheapest way to access your money without having to pay to transfer it. I don't want a card I have to load with credit before anyone suggests that. I would love to hear about your experiences good and bad please ::bigsmile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Bank

Hi

Forget it is my advice.

I asked about opening an account in euro with an Italian bank - all easy enough but beware that you still have to pay a fee for using the Visa card in another country!!!! No conversion fee, but a charge none the less.

I then asked HSBC in Strasbourg - same thing.

Instead, get yourself a fee free debit card with a UK bank - there are a few to choose from, Norwich and Peterborough, Metro Bank and the Cumberland Building Society. The latter has geographical restrictions in place. I use N&P and there are no fees on ATM withdrawals overseas.

Get a fee free credit card too - no charged on foreign transactions - Halifax Clarity is one, but there are various others

I had a pre loaded card but dumped it as the rates were not as good as the N&P. My comparison of Link Broken

Russell

Last edited:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I think you will find all the information you need on SEPA payments on the following site:

Link Removed

Basically it means that all money transfers between European banks are carried out exactly as if the transfer was within the same country. The longest delay allowed is 3 days but the transfer is usually pretty immediate.

You will have to know the IBAN and BIC numbers of your British and Spanish or French Banks which if you do online banking are usually found at the top of your account page.

In Spain this EU rule came into effect on 1st Jan 2012 and I have used it between Spain/France and Spain/UK and the payment was received the next day.

Any EU national can open a bank account with any bank within the EU either as a resident or non-resident.

Momo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi

Forget it is my advice.

I asked about opening an account in euro with an Italian bank - all easy enough but beware that [HI]you still have to pay a fee for using the Visa card in another country!!!! [/HI]No conversion fee, but a charge none the less.

Instead, get yourself a fee free debit card with a UK bank - there are a few to choose from, Norwich and Peterborough, Metro Bank and the Cumberland Building Society. The latter has geographical restrictions in place. I use N&P and there are no fees on ATM withdrawals overseas.

Get a fee free credit card too - no charged on foreign transactions - Halifax Clarity is one, but there are various others

I had a pre loaded card but dumped it as the rates were not as good as the N&P. My comparison of Link Broken

Russell

what a con, no wonder the bankers can give themselves such fat bonuses!!

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for :thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I think you will find all the information you need on SEPA payments on the following site:

Link Removed

Basically it means that all money transfers between European banks are carried out exactly as if the transfer was within the same country. The longest delay allowed is 3 days but the transfer is usually pretty immediate.

You will have to know the IBAN and BIC numbers of your British and Spanish or French Banks which if you do online banking are usually found at the top of your account page.

In Spain this EU rule came into effect on 1st Jan 2012 and I have used it between Spain/France and Spain/UK and the payment was received the next day.

Any EU national can open a bank account with any bank within the EU either as a resident or non-resident.

Momo.

Thanks Momo, it isn't so much the speed of transfers I am concerned about but more the cost of the transfers. I appreciate your info though. ::bigsmile:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Forget it is my advice.

I asked about opening an account in euro with an Italian bank - all easy enough but beware that you still have to pay a fee for using the Visa card in another country!!!! No conversion fee, but a charge none the less.

Russell

I also use Norwich and Peterborough. No charges for ATM withdrawals or purchases. Have had it for over two years and no problems. You need to pay £500 per month into it. Rather than change from my original bank I simply use a standing order to pay a set amount into the N&P account. If we run a bit short we just do a supplementary transfer. Be aware though as N&P is a building society and not a clearing bank their internal systems tend to be a bit slow. I once transferred cash from my main account one Friday. It arrived in N&P that day but as the Monday was a bank holiday it did not show up in my account until the Tuesday. As I had drawn cash from an ATM on the Saturday I went overdrawn.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You already have the best tool for the job.

We spent almost £10,000 on our Halifax Clairty card over the course of a year. While you do incur interest on cash withdrawls (just 1.1% if your interest rate is 12.9%) this is the maximum assuming you withdraw on the 1st of the month - so is likely to be less. This is less than the "weighted exchange" fee charged by Caxton - which is always 2% below base rate.

Set off a direct debit to pay off in full each month (or pay off early), use the card instead of cash wherever you can and sign up for an additional card holder on the same account if yours wears out or gets lost!

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
You already have the best tool for the job.

We spent almost £10,000 on our Halifax Clairty card over the course of a year. While you do incur interest on cash withdrawls (just 1.1% if your interest rate is 12.9%) this is the maximum assuming you withdraw on the 1st of the month - so is likely to be less. This is less than the "weighted exchange" fee charged by Caxton - which is always 2% below base rate.

Set off a direct debit to pay off in full each month (or pay off early), use the card instead of cash wherever you can and sign up for an additional card holder on the same account if yours wears out or gets lost!

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

Your article is very interesting and enlightening. I am guessing that if we try, when possible, to draw cash around the time the bill is due to be totalled it will minimise the number of days we are charged interest? We currently use our Tesco clubcard credit card for almost everything we buy in this country and have a D/D set up to clear the full balance every month, this way we never pay any interest but earn lots of clubcard points which pay for our Eurotunnel crossings. We got the Halifax card to replace our old Nationwide one when they started charging for use abroad so once we leave next year we will stop using the Tesco one and use the Halifax all the time :thumb: (P.S. I got the Wifi boost to work by using my laptop to set it up instead of my Ipad so all sorted!) :Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
what a con, no wonder the bankers can give themselves such fat bonuses!!

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for :thumb:

Do you think the system runs for free?
Do you ever think that the cost of the ATM's and restocking and the comms is also free...

The average retail banker does not get a big fat bonus as you suggest, the average wage is a lot lower than you think.

The bonuses that you talk about are the investment banking are not the retail. That's why they are closing the domestic branches there is no money to be made, the overheads are so high and remote banking has taken over.

The in-shop ATM's are not free, people still use them and pay for the privilege, the banking charges in the UK (free current accounts etc) are the lowest in Europe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have many of you opened a foreign bank account? As we will be spending extended periods abroad from March we plan on opening an account in France and/or Spain otherwise we will be charged every time we draw money from a cashpoint. I have already swapped to a Halifax credit card as there is no fee for using it abroad. What are your experiences with foreign accounts or international accounts from a British bank? Has anyone discovered the cheapest way to access your money without having to pay to transfer it. I don't want a card I have to load with credit before anyone suggests that. I would love to hear about your experiences good and bad please ::bigsmile:

Just out of interest, why have you ruled this out? :Smile:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
we use our Caravan Club Credit card when abroad Its free for withdrawals and we build up points for free nights on CC sites This year we have had 5 free nights
At home we use Tesco Credit card and get free trips on the tunnel.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Do you think the system runs for free?
Do you ever think that the cost of the ATM's and restocking and the comms is also free...

The average retail banker does not get a big fat bonus as you suggest, the average wage is a lot lower than you think.

The bonuses that you talk about are the investment banking are not the retail. That's why they are closing the domestic branches there is no money to be made, the overheads are so high and remote banking has taken over.

The in-shop ATM's are not free, people still use them and pay for the privilege, the banking charges in the UK (free current accounts etc) are the lowest in Europe.

Blimey someone's got their knickers in a twist, has your bonus been cut :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The trouble with the written word is it does not convey tone and therefore leads to misinterpretation by some, as in your case. I am well aware that my local bank manager does not get a big fat bonus!! It was a joke, a tongue in cheek comment!! Fortunately I have a habit of seeing the lighter side of life. But thank you for the education although being a Financial Inclusion Officer I had a fairly good idea already :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Only because I am always looking to maximise the earning potential of my money and the minute I load it on to a card like that it is just sitting there earning me nothing waiting to be spent. I would rather explore other ways although I think if we were just going over for a holiday I would definitely have considered using one ::bigsmile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cash

I agree with Coolbeans - the pre paid cards take your money (you have lent them it) and they pay you no interest.

Fee free debit card is the way forward for ATM usage - the rates are better than the pre paids too.

Fee free credit card for general spending and of course the interest free period.

Russell

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a Portuguese bank account and will be delighted to help any Funsters.

Simply send your money to my UK account and I will redirect it over here via the Isle of Man.

Then simply text me and I will get the cash to you via my people.

Terms and conditions apply.

JJ :Cool:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

Simply send your money to my UK account and I will redirect it over here via the Isle of Man.

:roflmto::roflmto::ROFLMAO: nice one :thumb:Happy christmas.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Bank charges are quite high in France if ou have a debit card. Doesn't matter how much you have in the bank, they still charge.
Also you would need proof of a permanent address in France, I believe.

Saying in France is you have to take every document you've ever owned, plus your granny if possible, to have any account for anything ( elec, water, phone.......)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

£10,000.00 on its way to you, hope that's ok? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£10,000.00 on its way to you, hope that's ok? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well,

Don't usually deal in such small amounts but as you are a Funster I'll make an exception in your case.

Your cash is being processed now but my head is hurting from filling out the online forms for Currency Fair so please be patient...

JJ.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Thanks for this link.

Before I sign up may I ask if it is a system you use yourselves?

Are there any "glitches" I should know about?

Many thanks..

Yes I use this system and have done for over 2 years. There have been no 'glitches' at all along the way.
They sometimes do work on their servers but they let you know via email well in advance.:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Bank charges are quite high in France if ou have a debit card. Doesn't matter how much you have in the bank, they still charge.
Also you would need proof of a permanent address in France, I believe.

Saying in France is you have to take every document you've ever owned, plus your granny if possible, to have any account for anything ( elec, water, phone.......)

That's why I think they have such a low rate of fraud and default.
http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/11855-total-debt-to-gdp.html#axzz2nBGhZXkP

Some of the UK banks have tried to bring in monthly fees and failed, long may they fail,..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't want a card I have to load with credit before anyone suggests that.

Only because I am always looking to maximise the earning potential of my money and the minute I load it on to a card like that it is just sitting there earning me nothing waiting to be spent. I would rather explore other ways although I think if we were just going over for a holiday I would definitely have considered using one ::bigsmile:

Ah, but you don't have to put it all on at once. You can send a simple text to have more loaded on as you wish with Caxton (I think it's £150 minimum), that's what we do when we go on holiday for up to 8 weeks at a time. :thumb:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

Momo.

Really??? That would be great but.......
I wanted to open a Santander account in Spain as I bank with them in the UK, and was told I needed an NIE number - which you only get when you apply for residency??? Apparently you can get a temporary one (NIE number), but if you do that and don't confirm the residency within 3-6 months, its cancelled, and any accounts etc you have can be closed.

Maybe if this EU banking thing has been enacted, this might have changed???

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Well I now have a much better picture of banking abroad and am opting for keeping my Halifax card, opening a Norwich & Peterborough account and forgetting any idea of opening an account abroad. Thank you to every one for all the useful info. I might even request a second card for hubby :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks Elamessa for your info.

I am nearly there now... just have send more modern bills for the security check thingy... only had some old car insurance receipts in the van...

Would have saved myself 30+ Euros on my most recent bank transfer.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Well I now have a much better picture of banking abroad and am opting for keeping my Halifax card, opening a Norwich & Peterborough account and forgetting any idea of opening an account abroad. Thank you to every one for all the useful info. I might even request a second card for hubby :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I use N&P account for cash but it s not free for me ?? N&P make no charge for an ATM withdrawal but visa levy a £2 charge. Still cheaper than anyone else but not free .

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Thanks Elamessa for your info.

I am nearly there now... just have send more modern bills for the security check thingy... only had some old car insurance receipts in the van...

Would have saved myself 30+ Euros on my most recent bank transfer.

Your welcome:Smile:
Steve

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Really??? That would be great but.......
I wanted to open a Santander account in Spain as I bank with them in the UK, and was told I needed an NIE number - which you only get when you apply for residency??? Apparently you can get a temporary one (NIE number), but if you do that and don't confirm the residency within 3-6 months, its cancelled, and any accounts etc you have can be closed.

Maybe if this EU banking thing has been enacted, this might have changed???

Will recheck with my Bank (La Caixa) on Monday and get back to you on this but I know a few non-residents - including my sister who lives in USA and has a holiday home in France - has bank accounts in both France and Spain! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back