Bosch Stop-Start S type Batteries, worth using? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Having to replace the MH charger and leisure batteries. Doing a little research and read about the Bosch Stop - Start batteries making a possible leap forward as leisure batteries.

Anyone using these Bosch or other make Silver Calcium (SC) type batteries, or any other input or opinion?

One thing that is not clear with these, do older style or modern intelligent Motorhome chargers charge this type of battery the same way as a lead acid battery or are they charged as Gel batteries?

They appear to offer a big advantage as to longevity, weight and power delivery, are they too good to be true?

Thanks

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So how much are they ? I always go for the cheapest lead acids I can find :thumb: or if you are feeling rich go/compare traction battery's
terry

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I was needing a vehicle battery in a hurry and went with the Bosch silver jobbies, they are lead acid type, 5 year guarantee !! As it turned out from previous threads on here and survey done on Caravan club monthly magazine, Nov. edition I think. Varta and Banner make good batteries. Varta and Bosch are the same. So by default I "think" i made a good decision. Starting batteries should I believe employ a different strategy to Leisure batteries due to the demands made for the different purposes. Loads of Amps to crank cold big diesel engine, compared to extended draw for lights and Eastenders on Tele (goes on for hours and bloody hours) hence deep cycling.
Your stop start ones imply that they will be robust. Indications reading all the advice on here suggest, go for as much AHC (ampere hour capacity) that you can afford. good luck :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
So how much are they ? I always go for the cheapest lead acids I can find :thumb: or if you are feeling rich go/compare traction battery's
terry

Hello Terry

This is the model I was looking at Bosch Silver 019 Battery (S5013) rated at 100 Ah. Around the web they are mostly close to the £100 mark.

It wasn't the price I needed but advice on whether these frequently discharged batteries in Stop-Start vehicles would be a good bet as a replacement for traditional leisure batteries. Looking for someone who maybe has had practical use of them in a real life leisure vehicle situation.

The theory looks good, but in practice?

Moodybrook, those are my thoughts but there is a train of thought that says the predominantly German use of Stop-Start in their vehicles places a huge demand on batteries and Bosch and others have come up with a new style/design that may be very robust when discharged.

A couple of weeks ago rented a FIAT 500 with some form of Stop-Start. I like FIAT's in the main but this poor little car didn't know if it and the driver was coming or going. Sometimes it would Stop, and then restart on throttle or clutch movement, most times not.

The delay was very noticeable but over 3 days had no confidence as to which mode it was in or whether it would go when wanted.

Have a German friend who has the latest top of the range VW something or another, of course with Stop-Start. I told him I thought it was a silly idea (my personal view) but spent a few hours in his car with him. Car was superb and the Stop-Start worked effortlessly as I guess it was designed to, but two things stood out. There is always a delay in pulling away however small, and in a long traffic jam the amount of work the starter and ringear must do just to move along 500m cutting in and out maybe 15 times, completely dotty.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Philippft

Just seen your reply in my inbox, do you know if all the batteries were traditional leisure type batteries or were any of them the newer Silver Calcium type?

The Varta in particular, can you quote a battery no or model or type please?

Thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Silver calcium arent used on electric forklifts, there's no indication that they will be either.

I wouldn't waste money trying them in a deep discharge application, I'd stick with a proven traction monobloc unless you insist on a sealed design.

The battery in a stop start application isn't discharged very deeply, it doesn't need to be. A few moments later it will receive a big charge from a big alternator.
I suspect the silver calcium batteries robustness lies in its charging rate rather than its ability to discharge reliably to low levels.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Copied from Wikipedia-

"Silver Calcium alloy batteries are batteries water-acid electrolyte, but with grids made ​​from calcium-silver alloy, instead of traditional lead-antimony grids. They stand out for its resistance to corrosion and the destructive effects of high temperatures. The result of this improvement is manifested in increased battery life and maintaining a starting power over time.

Technological information
Technological improvements of this new alloy are include increased corrosion resistance, greater resistance to high temperatures, longer shelf life longer life or use (mean 6 years), minimal self-discharge and as having the highest breakout.

Disadvantages
Silver calcium batteries generally require more charging voltage (14.4 to 14.8 V) and may not be functional in older vehicles because their power generating systems (alternators) give lower voltages than those of modern vehicles. This also may occur with static chargers, because some fail to charge these batteries."

So basically, you can charge them and discharge them at high duty rates. Good for stop-start vehicles.
There is no extra plate material to assist with regular deep discharge though!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Jon, I wouldn't question the attributes and the ultimate long term benefits of traction batteries but for the average mo ho user who are not lifting ton pallets who just need a wee bit light on the subject , a few hours tv, and charging a laptop/tablet/stupid phone, water pump, then blooming heck, lets be fair they are exorbitant !! I believe the more cheap amps you can afford, within weight limits is the way to go.
I have never been a subsidised farmer, been a civil servant, teacher doctor, solicitor, MP, or any other overpaid scammer so I and a few others have to be sensible with our pennies never mind the pounds. (no personal implications intended).
I think if us peons stick to a quality brand and according to the only "into the insides" report that I have come across like the caravan club job, limited as it was and perhaps could have expanded its findings a bit more then Varta(Bosch) and Banner are a good starting point. Unquestionably there are lots of crap out there to tempt us.

Start stop batteries not the ideal for leisure - deeper discharging situations though.

Tractions -- You're not wrong they are the ultimate ! :winky:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back