Anyone using satelite to access the internet abroad? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Yes, I know they are expensive and you can do a lot with wi-fi and dongles etc.

But would be interested to hear the ins and outs from someone who has used a satellite system to access the internet, especially abroad and fairly recently.

Thanks

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Yes, I know they are expensive and you can do a lot with wi-fi and dongles etc.

But would be interested to hear the ins and outs from someone who has used a satellite system to access the internet, especially abroad and fairly recently.

Thanks

This subject also interests me. Have you looked at Briskona Telecom briskona.com

They claim their system works in UK and Europe.

Thanks for the web enquiry ,Yes you can take it with you but it will need to be fixed onto a tripod as you can’t fix it to the motorhome. You can add an additional arm/LNB to the dish and this can give you free sat along with broadband.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Charmaine

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I`ll let you know after next Wednesday (18th).. :thumb:

If it`s no good, there will be a full system being put up for sale... :Sad:::bigsmile:

PS........... It works fine in this country, and it`s fast...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi , i built my own sat internet system onto my oyster dish. i use the astra 2 connect set up from beyondsl in the uk. the internet comes from astra 3 at 23.5 and has worked all over europe so far except the very south of spain i.e the costa del sol and the algarve in portugal. i am in mojacar,spain at the moment and its working fine but 20 mile south of here it just drops off. worked in granada but not in malaga, so there seems to be a line just outside the footprint in southern spain but everywhere else is fine. hope this helps sean

p.s old mo , what sytem are you using? which satellite? if you use astra 3 and are heading to zahora then i think you will struggle to get a signal . pm if you like

Last edited:
OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
This subject also interests me. Have you looked at Briskona Telecom briskona.com

They claim their system works in UK and Europe.

Thanks, Had not seen that one, I was wondering why at home they can throw in all the kit for a reasonable monthly fee but to put `similar` kit on a MH costs £3500.

And why would it cost so much more than fitting a TV Sat system?

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that someone just added a second LNB to his TV Sat dish on his MH and got it to work. Can`t remember where I read it though. ((Well that answers that question then, must have been typing at the same time ::bigsmile:))

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
hi , i built my own sat internet system onto my oyster dish. i use the astra 2 connect set up from beyondsl in the uk. the internet comes from astra 3 at 23.5 and has worked all over europe so far except the very south of spain i.e the costa del sol and the algarve in portugal. i am in mojacar,spain at the moment and its working fine but 20 mile south of here it just drops off. worked in granada but not in malaga, so there seems to be a line just outside the footprint in southern spain but everywhere else is fine. hope this helps sean

p.s old mo , what sytem are you using? which satellite? if you use astra 3 and are heading to zahora then i think you will struggle to get a signal . pm if you like

Do uou have a dummies guide as to how?

I mean really simple...

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi encantador, i bought the hardware secondhand for €100 and made the bracket for the second internet lnb myself for €20. been using it for 3 years now no probs. also with my system i can watch tv from astra 2 and get internet at the same time from astra 3. the oyster made system for £4500 will only let you do one or the other not both.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Hi mate... it was a system that had been put on by "Conrad Anderson" by the previous owner.

I have a contract with Satellite International.... I notice on their footprint guide, I will be struggling down in Zahora...

Personally I think it`s an expensive luxury, and what with cheap`ish dongles and WiFi hotspots etc I would not have had one put on..

And being thick and knowing nothing about them, I have to go running to some one who does if and when it goes wrong.. :Sad:

I believe this is the footprint we are on... and as you say doubtful if I will get it in Zahora or bottom end of Portugal,,,, which is where we are going...:Sad:

Thank goodness for dongles and site wifi... ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• SI-Euro-23_5-Ku-200.jpg
    SI-Euro-23_5-Ku-200.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 34
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Do uou have a dummies guide as to how?

I mean really simple...

ok , i'll do my best.
first i took off the tv lnb from the oyster dish
then made an adjustable bracket shown in the photo.
put internet lnb where tv lnb was
put tv lnb in position on bracket shown in photo
manually line the dish to point at the internet sat (astra 3 23.5)so that the internet is working.
connect a sat meter to the tv lnb and adjust to get the best signal.
when done tighten it all up.
now the clever bit . because your tv lnb is off centre ,when your dish searches for astra 2 it will find it on a reflection not directly so when it locks on, your dish will be pointing at your internet satellite by default. best part is that you can convert any dish to internet dish once you have the bracket made.

Attachments

• internet ilnb 002.jpg
    internet ilnb 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 148
  • internet ilnb 001.jpg
    internet ilnb 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: DBK
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi mate... it was a system that had been put on by "Conrad Anderson" by the previous owner.

I have a contract with Satellite International.... I notice on their footprint guide, I will be struggling down in Zahora...

Personally I think it`s an expensive luxury, and what with cheap`ish dongles and WiFi hotspots etc I would not have had one put on..

And being thick and knowing nothing about them, I have to go running to some one who does if and when it goes wrong.. :Sad:

I believe this is the footprint we are on... and as you say doubtful if I will get it in Zahora or bottom end of Portugal,,,, which is where we are going...:Sad:

[/QUOTE

you appear to have the astra 3 footprint, let me know when you get to zahora if it works. it will be good to know for future reference , safe trip sean

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE

you appear to have the astra 3 footprint, let me know when you get to zahora if it works. it will be good to know for future reference , safe trip sean[/QUOTE]

Will do, Sean... :thumb:

Watch this space... :winky:::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If Old Mo wants internet or tele. off his sat. dish at Zahora then he needs to pack his chainsaw and he needs his dongle filling up.

It is possible off some pitches but we have already parked on them (bribery may work)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
If Old Mo wants internet or tele. off his sat. dish at Zahora then he needs to pack his chainsaw and he needs his dongle filling up.

It is possible off some pitches but we have already parked on them (bribery may work)

A pint or my body for a nice clear to the sky pitch...:RollEyes:

I know what lady "P" would take... :winky:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
ok , i'll do my best.
first i took off the tv lnb from the oyster dish
then made an adjustable bracket shown in the photo.
put internet lnb where tv lnb was
put tv lnb in position on bracket shown in photo
manually line the dish to point at the internet sat (astra 3 23.5)so that the internet is working.
connect a sat meter to the tv lnb and adjust to get the best signal.
when done tighten it all up.
now the clever bit . because your tv lnb is off centre ,when your dish searches for astra 2 it will find it on a reflection not directly so when it locks on, your dish will be pointing at your internet satellite by default. best part is that you can convert any dish to internet dish once you have the bracket made.

Thanks, very interesting. So the main cost is the internet LNB, can you remember how much and where you purchased it from? Is there another box inside you need?

You then just sign up for one of the internet packages I assume?

Thanks again, very useful.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Thanks, very interesting. So the main cost is the internet LNB, can you remember how much and where you purchased it from? Is there another box inside you need?

You then just sign up for one of the internet packages I assume?

Thanks again, very useful.

hi , you need the ilnb and the modem and however many metres of shotgun coax to get from your dish to your modem . then phone up beyondsl and sign up. you can get the entire hardware package from them for £299 .

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

This option has become more interesting the more I read about the changes coming to satellite footprints over the next few months.

Some sites are suggesting we could lose most of the UK channels part way through France.

So, although more expensive, but controlled costs with a unlimited data package, would a Internet LNB added to a standard Sat dish as described here, together with a Slingbox be a way round the TV problem further south?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi encantador , it could be an answer if your pockets are deep enough! internet via satellite is still quite expensive although slowly coming down in price.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi encantador , it could be an answer if your pockets are deep enough! internet via satellite is still quite expensive although slowly coming down in price.

briskona.com is quoting £35pm which seems to ba about half of what the others are for the same package.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am always rather skeptical when I read about unlimited data packages.

Of course I know nothing about house internet connections or satellite connections, but the mobile packages I know of with "unlimited data" all have a "fair use" clause.

My unlimited data is indeed "unlimited" but the moment I go over 15 gigs in any month I am throttled back speedwise.

Luckily even at the slow speeds though I can still get radio... but as you all know, telly gobbles up the gigabytes and needs fast speeds to be watchable.

One day we motorhomers will be able to get a speedy internet connection where ever we park at the same kind of costs as the "Housies" enjoy...

JJ :Cool:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

[/QUOTE

you appear to have the astra 3 footprint, let me know when you get to zahora if it works. it will be good to know for future reference , safe trip sean

Hi Sean

Just wondered if you could let me have contact details for Satellite International I have "Googled" them but cannot find details.

Sounds interesting.

Cheers

Bill

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
just seen this post , the problem with briskona is that it uses the tooway system. with tooway , europe is covered with lots of individual small satellite footprints and if you move out of range of the one your in you need to phone them up and get them to change your details to the new one which carries a charge (£35 last time i looked) so its not really a mobile system . very good though if you stay in one place for the winter though. cheers sean

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Used our`s on our last trip (Winter just Passed).. France, all over Spain and bottom end of Portugal, and it worked fine,,,, quick as ours at home if not quicker..

Even down in Zahora, we managed to find a small gap through the tree`s and got latched on OK..

Unlimited, and £24-99 a month after the initial connection fee of £49-99..

The only time we had a problem was on the last night at the aire in Calais..

It turned out to be a broken wire on the LNB,,, once the fault had been found..

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have the Oyster Internet system with a package from Beyondsl (Satelliteinternet.co.uk) which is £29.99 for 10GB a month. It has worked everywhere I have been including the Algarve, Southern Spain, Italy and Sicily (although quite slow the further south you get outside of the official footprint). Happy with the system although initial expense was quite hefty and streaming would use the allowance up in no time. When free wifi is available I use my Iboost instead :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back