Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I store my MH in a locked barn in the countryside so I guess that mice are unavoidable but the little cuties have managed to get into the sound proofing in the engine bay and chew their way through electric wiring. First I knew about it was the engine management light staying on when I took it out last week.

Luckily the wiring was repairable, unluckily at a cost of £120. :Angry:

The owner of the storage facility is going to put more poison down but wondering if there is anything effective that can be done in the engine bay to deter the rascals - luckily they haven't found their way into the actual van yet but its a bit of a worry now.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I have no idea whether it works or was coincidence but I had a similar invasion in the engine bay of previous van (only the soundproofing not wiring) I sprayed wd 40 all over everything under the bonnet no more problems.:thumb:
But please do not blame me if it turns out to be the mouse equivalent to tomato sauce and they bring their mates for a party:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We had the little blighters last year and now have a tray of rodent bait in the engine compartment and also on the ground beneath, that'll teach em :boxing::boxing::hardhat::hardhat:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Hope they don't get into the van had them in last summer after a stay at a farm CL after traps bait etc had to go into dealer to strip out toilet to clear out nest because of the smell didn't eat wiring but got into loads of packet food and eat all my despicable gloves had toempty the van and fumigate it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had them in the van about 2 years ago. Little sods.

We have sonic things now to deter them and never leave any food in the van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
after using traps and bait I took the 'take no prisoners' approach......glue mats.

they only step on those once. :thumb:

dont even think about removing them from the mats, it aint going to happen...just cut round them and put the glue mat back down.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well, I don't kill anything, but put moth balls in all the cupboards and in the engine ... I also put smelly tumble dryer sheets in all the drawers and cupboards.. Someone told me this kee ps them at bay. I didn't have any problems but the moth ball smell was a bit offputting when Spring came and it was time to use the van again.

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
hi I read the other week to use Irish soap available on Amazon cut in to 3 or 4 pieces put on top of wheels and in engine bay the vermin hate the pleasant smell &go elsewhere. :winky:

OP
OP
Carreraboy

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for all the ideas - may give them all a go at the same time just to be on the safe side.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
after using traps and bait I took the 'take no prisoners' approach......glue mats.

they only step on those once. :thumb:

dont even think about removing them from the mats, it aint going to happen...just cut round them and put the glue mat back down.

Oh John poor little meece, at least I poison the poor little buggers, you pull their bl##dy feet off :Eeek::winky:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm thinking of changing my user name....

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I also discovered this morning when I went into the van that there were some mouse droppings on the driver's seat and a few on the worktop near the sink.
We use the van everyday, but as we're surrounded by fields it's come as no surprise. Margaret finds droppings all over the table in her workshop outside, we set the trap the other day and caught one shortly after we set it.:thumb:
I came in to tell her about the mouse droppings in the van this morning and all she was concerned about was "is Funster bear alright, he's not been chewed has he?":Doh:
I have set the mouse trap on the driver's seat tonight so will see what happens. We've got one of the sonic plug-in thingies, but it's never stopped them coming into the workshop.

Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
.........come to think of it, perhaps the mouse that's found it's way into the van is revenge for the one we caught in the trap in the workshop on Friday afternoon:RollEyes: Let's hope there's no funeral!

Bill

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hope they don't get into the van had them in last summer after a stay at a farm CL after traps bait etc had to go into dealer to strip out toilet to clear out nest because of the smell didn't eat wiring but got into loads of packet food and eat all my despicable gloves had toempty the van and fumigate it

Fancy eating your "despicable" gloves :ROFLMAO:
What despicable little devils they are.Oh what fun we have with predictive text,maybe!!

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I use glue boards but to give them a chance I leave a sign saying do not walk on this board :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We set the trap last night in the van, put it on the driver's seat (where the droppings were) but alas, nothing this morning! I couldn't go down the route of sticky boards, that's too slow and cruel:Sad: At least with the "kazam" of the trap it's pretty quick for them.
Will re-set it again tonight somewhere in a dark corner:thumb:

Margaret

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The ones that live round here (field mice this is) like chocolate buttons.

At least, that's what the traps we caught em in were baited with !

"Little Nippers" I'm afraid - we tried the humane traps in the kitchen where they were getting in through a hole literally the diameter of a pencil where the previous person had the waste from their washing machine and the hole wasn't 100% bunged up - and caught two or the same one twice, and Pete walked quite a long way away to release it (them) in a different field - but really when you are standing there washing up and you see one run along the back of the draining board, run up the tap and calmly sit there washing it's whiskers - you do feel 'This is taking the hiss'.

It was hilarious, and really really sweet, but enough is enough ......

I'll buy the bait - but don't wish to know anything after that thank you.
It's a man's job, that is.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've never had to put anything on the trap, the "false teeth" type traps are so sensitive the slightest touch sets them off........."Kazam!"
But they've eaten through loads of stuff in my workshop, sponges, labels off paints etc.......and carpet underlay!:RollEyes:

Margaret

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The ones that live round here (field mice this is) like chocolate buttons.

At least, that's what the traps we caught em in were baited with !

"Little Nippers" I'm afraid - we tried the humane traps in the kitchen where they were getting in through a hole literally the diameter of a pencil where the previous person had the waste from their washing machine and the hole wasn't 100% bunged up - and caught two or the same one twice, and Pete walked quite a long way away to release it (them) in a different field - but really when you are standing there washing up and you see one run along the back of the draining board, run up the tap and calmly sit there washing it's whiskers - you do feel 'This is taking the hiss'.

It was hilarious, and really really sweet, but enough is enough ......

I'll buy the bait - but don't wish to know anything after that thank you.
It's a man's job, that is.

I like the humane traps, catch em alive then let em go and humanely belt em with a lump of 4x2 :roflmto::winky:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
unfortunately once they are inside they are doing damage. You need to set up an outer perimeter defence outside the barns. I use coffee jars buried outside my buildings so that water stays out and only mice can get in, filled with waterproof mousebait. This kills the population on the outside before they can get into your building.:thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The mice like it under a closed bonnet, they feel safe in there to chew and breed.
If it`s stored in a locked barn you can leave the bonnet open and they will go elsewhere.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad::whatthe::whatthe:Crumbs! I hope I never upset any of you lot!!!!! Feet cut off, poisoned, whacked with a can of WD40: just going over to join the dark side.... what? Even they don't want me!!!!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back