House outside xmas lights tacky or nice? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have been ordered reluctantly to fix up some outside lights.:RollEyes:
Do you find them tacky or festive

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it's festive unless it's OTT then it becomes a bit tacky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Umm..
We were on telly back around Y2K Krimble .. Yep, we used to do the whole house and next doors.. BIG display !!!!

Kids in the area loved it and back then I was still working in Cambridge..
It was great to come home and see it all lit up.. Kinda welcoming and put me in good sprits straight away :thumb:

Oh and got just a few outside this year too

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There is/was ?,a house in the Somercotes area,near Alfreton/Ripley,that had several Electricity board vans outside for a couple of days before Christmas,then they rigged up a most wonderful display of lights on the outside of their house. They must have had the full co-operation of the neighbours,for the road/street and area,was full of people walking along to see them,especially weekends. Money gathered in "Wishing Wells ?",Went to Charity. Would i go again,yes,if you have young kids,its a Must Do.
Tea Bag.
PS. Never miss a Panto if possible.

"He's BEHIND YOU !!"

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A house about a mile away from me has really gone for it this year.

Must cost them a bomb for electricity.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My wife suggested yesterday we get some Christmas lights to go on the MH. We are currently on a site in Cornwall with only one other pitch occupied so I fear it might look a bit OTT but the resident owl which we hear hooting every night might enjoy the display.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just Google (images) Trinity Close Christmas Lights and see how a street not far from us does it - we go down there for a walk every year.

It looks fantastic I think,,,,,, wouldn't want the leccy bill though.
:Eeek:

Trikeman. :winky:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Definitely tacky. But then again, the whole Christmas crap-fest is tacky so perhaps that's the point ............

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi.
There is/was ?,a house in the Somercotes area,near Alfreton/Ripley,that had several Electricity board vans outside for a couple of days before Christmas,then they rigged up a most wonderful display of lights on the outside of their house. They must have had the full co-operation of the neighbours,for the road/street and area,was full of people walking along to see them,especially weekends. Money gathered in "Wishing Wells ?",Went to Charity. Would i go again,yes,if you have young kids,its a Must Do.
Tea Bag.
PS. Never miss a Panto if possible.

"He's BEHIND YOU !!"

Was that on Pennine Estate in Leabrookes/Riddings? Few years ago. looked lovely. If its the one i am thinking of he stopped because of theft from the wishing wells. SHAME. BUSBY::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
errrrrrr....... we do put a few lights outside :ROFLMAO:

and inside as well, but not so many as we used to

as for electric costs, most of our lights are now LED rather than bulbs so less maintenance fitting new bulbs. total cost for the month about £80

mind you i also have to get help with the ladder work now so have to add the cost of a drink putting up and taking down. and i often pick up something new each year too. i dont worry about the expense as it cheers the area up, as a few of us do the lighting up. seeing and hearing the children looking at the lights makes it worthwhile.

most nights we have cars pull up outside or groups walk up from 4:30 or 5:00 through till about 11:00. lights out at 12:15 except new year when its about 2:00. all done on a central time and switch gear. indoors on remote control

tacky? possibly, but it depends on why the display is done and how. to me its pretty and is a nod to the origins of yule/christmas etc:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have an LED cherry tree in the garden and a line of snowmen who start singing " Santa Claus is Coming To Town" when you walk past.

Tastefully tacky::bigsmile:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
errrrrrr....... we do put a few lights outside :ROFLMAO:

and inside as well, but not so many as we used to

as for electric costs, most of our lights are now LED rather than bulbs so less maintenance fitting new bulbs. total cost for the month about £80

mind you i also have to get help with the ladder work now so have to add the cost of a drink putting up and taking down. and i often pick up something new each year too. i dont worry about the expense as it cheers the area up, as a few of us do the lighting up. seeing and hearing the children looking at the lights makes it worthwhile.

most nights we have cars pull up outside or groups walk up from 4:30 or 5:00 through till about 11:00. lights out at 12:15 except new year when its about 2:00. all done on a central time and switch gear. indoors on remote control

tacky? possibly, but it depends on why the display is done and how. to me its pretty and is a nod to the origins of yule/christmas etc:winky:

Well, after reading this I think I will put some more into it.
I know I am a Victor mildew needing a boot sometimes, but the area where I live are so oldy fuddy duddy that it needs lighting up , especially at this time of year. .:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
our singing santas & snowmen are on strike, wont sing, or wobble :cry::cry::cry:

our long train has got some leds out :cry::cry::cry::cry: and they dont make them anymore :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

someone nicked the bells and our large santa blow mold last year
not sure we can be bothered to put the lights up this year.

Hardly any xmas decs where we live, we used to go the whole hog lets see what time brings

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our cousins over the pond take it to a different level....
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJrY3p9nzVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJrY3p9nzVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Musics good tho
Wizards in winter by Trans siberian orchestra... Plenty of other examples of this type oof thing on YouTube

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Thats the one.

Hi Busby.
That was the one,Pennine estate,we were doing the water main up,thats when i saw the vans come,go away,lights rigged and on,then we could not move when it got dusk. What a shame.
As regards the photo of,"Our friends across the pond",i regularly used to pass the American Air base at Alconbury A1/Cambs turn off in those days ('67-8),and the forces houses,were a joy to see,Santa,sledge and reindeer models all lit up,trees etc,in the middle of the night it gave your heart a lift.
On the down side,you could not hear the Jet jockeys coming until they were on top of you,engines full bore,flames coming out the back.....BOOOOM. The first time i thought i had lost a couple of sets of wheels,but even when i got used to it,i still DUCKED:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Has any body been on the N.A.S.A site yet,to see if Santa has left ?
Tea Bag

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:hardhat:I don't have any decorative lights inside or out. No bloody decorations either. No flippin' tree. I happily accept Christmas presents but avoid giving them at all costs.:hardhat:

Thank heaven its still warm outside, I don't need to get my coat ........:getmecoat:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
:hardhat:I don't have any decorative lights inside or out. No bloody decorations either. No flippin' tree. I happily accept Christmas presents but avoid giving them at all costs.:hardhat:

Thank heaven its still warm outside, I don't need to get my coat ........:getmecoat:

And thought I was bah humbug , but after seeing that there are others worse than I, I am warming up for first time in years

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Both, our neighbour over the road has one tree done very tastefully and it looks great, and a chap at the end of our street has gone ott, covering the front of his house (even the roof) a complete manger set up in the front garden and loads of those light up reindeer shape things...... but there was an article in the local paper saying there is also a collection box for our local hospice next to his front gate, tacky as it is my 2 yr old grandson loves it and insists i take him down the street every night so he can see it before bedtime, i for one will be putting a donation in the box. its only for a few weeks every year and it raises a few quid for charity :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
In answer to your question,,,,,Yes.
then again we put em up inside but only switch em on if somebody comes.:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back