Genny Transport (1 Viewer)

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Just wondered were you transported your Genny in the van
Obviously got the Petrol to consider and we don't really have a suitable locker :cry:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our genny goes in the man shed (garage) locker.
The fuel goes in a side skirt locker which is not airtight and below the floor level. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my Kipor gennie lived under the seating in the lounge area along with 5ltrs of petrol....too big to fit through the outside locker door so lifted the seat base and lowered it in.

never a problem and no smell unless i had just filled the 5ltr can.

air-valve cap (by design) on the gennie and a proper fitting cap on the can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Been thinking about this one for a while but someone told me a while ago, please correct me if I'm wrong.
We use our engine to charge the batteries which it does in around half an hour,
enough for our use any way.
Why are generators on for hours at a time and why carry a spare engine in the van when we have one that will do 2 things charge the batteries and propel the van

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Our's lives under the bed in the back and I do not carry a can of fuel. I use a syphoning tube and draw fuel from the scooter as and when it needs toping up ( not that I have used it from months ) and then next run out on scooter fill back up.....

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Been thinking about this one for a while but someone told me a while ago, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Why are generators on for hours at a time and why carry a spare engine in the van when we have one that will do 2 things charge the batteries and propel the van

Because they are charging through the onboard charging system same as if you were on EHU - much slower than vehicle alternator

Probably because leaving your van engine on tick over for 1/2 an hour does not do the van engine any good - they are designed to work not tick over for extended periods.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just wondered were you transported your Genny in the van
Obviously got the Petrol to consider and we don't really have a suitable locker :cry:
I thought the same when we were buying our gennie and didn't want the worry of carrying petrol on board. Although we have very rarely used it and carry it "just incase" we decided that as we always have lpg anyway it made good sense to get a Honda with a gas conversion.

A little more expensive initially but with none of the associated risks, smells and inconvenience of petrol. :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
I thought the same when we were buying our gennie and didn't want the worry of carrying petrol on board. Although we have very rarely used it and carry it "just incase" we decided that as we always have lpg anyway it made good sense to get a Honda with a gas conversion.

A little more expensive initially but with none of the associated risks, smells and inconvenience of petrol. :thumb:

Totally agree with you Brian but if you check the warranty on Hondas as soon as LPG is fitted their 5 year warranty finishes :Eeek: even though they will supply and fit an LPG conversion. By the way although Hondas are quiet anyway do you find it any quieter with LPG than petrol

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Because they are charging through the onboard charging system same as if you were on EHU - much slower than vehicle alternator

Probably because leaving your van engine on tick over for 1/2 an hour does not do the van engine any good - they are designed to work not tick over for extended periods.

More likely the onboard charger will charge quicker than the alternator that in most vans have skinny inefficient wiring to the LB :Smile:
Engines are designed to work to the amount of fuel stuck into it be that on tick over or 4k revs :thumb: tick over will not harm it :Smile:
There will be very few times most people will need a genny-if at all- the engine makes a very good emergency genny :thumb: if a little more fuel is used ::bigsmile: if you take into account the cost of a suitcase genny , probably 250 quid for a cheaper one, it's a lot of unessesary expense for what a run to the shops or an hours tickover can do ::bigsmile:
I suggest you stick a extra LB where the genny lives ::bigsmile: at least you would get use from it instead of IN CASE
terry

OP
OP
Hellboy

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Thanx for all your replies it has certainly gave me a few ideas
I was thinking of fitting a tool chest type box on the rear cycle rack to store the Genny...Honda eu10i only 13kg so should be okay for weight
On another note does anybody run their Genny in a sound proofed box...obviously leaving opening for exhaust and air...friends have a noisier Genny...:whatthe:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Totally agree with you Brian but if you check the warranty on Hondas as soon as LPG is fitted their 5 year warranty finishes :Eeek: even though they will supply and fit an LPG conversion. By the way although Hondas are quiet anyway do you find it any quieter with LPG than petrol

Hi Bill, I bought mine second hand some years ago with the conversion already fitted and it is certainly out of any warranty period now.

As far as noise is concerned, it is certainly fairly quiet but I have never compared it with one running on petrol although word has it that it should be slightly less noisy.

Mine came with a 12v lead I have never used but I believe this can be connected directly to a battery for faster charging than the onboard charger.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanx for all your replies it has certainly gave me a few ideas
I was thinking of fitting a tool chest type box on the rear cycle rack to store the Genny...Honda eu10i only 13kg so should be okay for weight
On another note does anybody run their Genny in a sound proofed box...obviously leaving opening for exhaust and air...friends have a noisier Genny...:whatthe:

I think you would get noise and vibrations transferred through the vehicle and it may be vulnerable as gennies have little legs you know.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bill, I bought mine second hand some years ago with the conversion already fitted and it is certainly out of any warranty period now.

As far as noise is concerned, it is certainly fairly quiet but I have never compared it with one running on petrol although word has it that it should be slightly less noisy.

Mine came with a 12v lead I have never used but I believe this can be connected directly to a battery for faster charging than the onboard charger.

It's my understanding that the 12v lead/output is limited to around 4 to 6 amps max so plugging into you 240 hook up would be better / quicker as it would power the onboard charger at prob around 20 amps :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Hellboy

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
I think you would get noise and vibrations transferred through the vehicle and it may be vulnerable as gennies have little legs you know.
Didn't intend running the Genny on the back of the van only for transport and I was thinking of using the alarm loop which is fitted for the bikes for security...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So I am parked in one of my favourite, out of the way spots in the middle of nowhere soaking up the scenery...

Stupidly, being old and forgetful I have left my headlights (which I switched on going through a tunnel) on and the battery has gone flat...

How do I start my engine in order to charge up my batteries?

Rufty Tufty Off Site Motorhomes have a generator.

I keep my whisper quiet, highly reliable and extremely affordable Kipor in the rear locker along with 5 litres of fuel in a can.

I have done for a decade.

I am still alive...

JJ :Cool:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Rutty tufty Eco motor homers have a solar panel ,if you fit a relay ,as you sit in your out of the way spot soaking up the scenery your batteries could be soaking up the free power of the sun!

Vlad

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So I am parked in one of my favourite, out of the way spots in the middle of nowhere soaking up the scenery...

Stupidly, being old and forgetful I have left my headlights (which I switched on going through a tunnel) on and the battery has gone flat...

How do I start my engine in order to charge up my batteries?

Rufty Tufty Off Site Motorhomes have a generator.

I keep my whisper quiet, highly reliable and extremely affordable Kipor in the rear locker along with 5 litres of fuel in a can.

I have done for a decade.

I am still alive...

JJ you simply swap L/B for engine battery (or jump leads :winky:)Once shes running and put some charge back into engine battery swap back :thumb:::bigsmile:---I did say in lots of cases no genny needed :winky:A rufty tufty camper like yours will have plenty of space in which to store a genny IF and when needed ::bigsmile:
terry

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Indeed Mr Terry I could struggle, with bended back and squashed tummy, to lug one of my heavy leisure batteries to close enough for my jump leads to reach the engine battery (after spending 45 minutes to find the right sized spanners to undo the connectors)... start the engine... disconnect the jump leads... lug the leisure battery back into position... spend 20 minutes finding the spanners that I just had a minute ago to retighten the connectors... then look for the Swafega to clean the muck off my hands... and try to remember to put the spanners away somewhere I will remember...

OR...

I could just fire up my easy to start, whisper quiet, economical to run, bright yellow so easy to find, highly affordable, pure sine wave Kipor 750... plug it into the EHU socket and sip a beer in the sunshine while it charges up the battery(s).

I suppose we all choose the methods which suit us best...

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Indeed Mr Terry I could struggle, with bended back and squashed tummy, to lug one of my heavy leisure batteries to close enough for my jump leads to reach the engine battery (after spending 45 minutes to find the right sized spanners to undo the connectors)... start the engine... disconnect the jump leads... lug the leisure battery back into position... spend 20 minutes finding the spanners that I just had a minute ago to retighten the connectors... then look for the Swafega to clean the muck off my hands... and try to remember to put the spanners away somewhere I will remember...

OR...

I could just fire up my easy to start, whisper quiet, economical to run, bright yellow so easy to find, highly affordable, pure sine wave Kipor 750... plug it into the EHU socket and sip a beer in the sunshine while it charges up the battery(s).

I suppose we all choose the methods which suit us best...

Ahhhh I see your point :winky: but in my rufty tufty van it only takes about five mins to swap batteries --- lift seat,lift slats, pull back carpet,grab ajustable spanner from gas locker and undo the battery conectors - lift out battery -reconnect job done :thumb: Of course in 13 yrs it's only happened once ::bigsmile: soon leart to turn CD player off :winky:In theory I would have been carrying around a genny for 13 yrs that I have never needed :winky:
terry

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
All this lugging about,did you old timers Know that nowadays you can buy jump leads at and over 6 m long. :winky:

Vlad

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I thought the same when we were buying our gennie and didn't want the worry of [HI][HI]carrying petrol on board[/HI][/HI]. Although we have very rarely used it and carry it "just incase" we decided that as we always have lpg anyway it made good sense to get a Honda with a gas conversion.

Do you drive a car ? (petrol powered !!)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Why are generators on for hours at a time and[HI][HI] why carry a spare engine [/HI][/HI]in the van when we have one that will do 2 things charge the batteries and propel the van

Ask the poor sod who was stuck up a mountain a few days ago and couldn't start the engine !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Rutty tufty Eco motor homers [HI]have a solar panel [/HI],if you fit a relay ,as you sit in your out of the way spot soaking up the scenery your batteries could be soaking up the free power of the sun!

Vlad

Err... I have 6 panels... 2 on Hymer and 4 on the Black Beast...

(and my Dad's bigger than yours...)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
More likely the onboard charger will charge quicker than the alternator that in most vans have skinny inefficient wiring to the LB :Smile:
Engines are designed to work to the amount of fuel stuck into it be that on tick over or 4k revs :thumb: tick over will not harm it :Smile:
There will be very few times most people will need a genny-if at all- the engine makes a very good emergency genny :thumb: if a little more fuel is used ::bigsmile: if you take into account the cost of a suitcase genny , probably 250 quid for a cheaper one, it's a lot of unessesary expense for what a run to the shops or an hours tickover can do ::bigsmile:
I suggest you stick a extra LB where the genny lives ::bigsmile: at least you would get use from it instead of IN CASE
terry

Ehmmm as a trained mechanic I would love to remind you of that when the bearings go on your turbo after too much time ticking over :Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ehmmm as a trained mechanic I would love to remind you of that when the bearings go on your turbo after too much time ticking over :Eeek:

Don't think the odd hour once a flood will hurt it too much :winky:
you can always rev it a little or even drive to shops /pub
terry

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
its your money i only give advice £1000 for a turbo or a genny . Know which i would plumb for.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Rutty tufty Eco motor homers have a solar panel ,if you fit a relay ,as you sit in your out of the way spot soaking up the scenery your batteries could be soaking up the free power of the sun!

Vlad

Solar panels are great for charging your batteries, as long as it's not dark, overcast, raining and you are not in the shade
I have a quiet genny stored under one of the side seats. No smell of fuel, it has a sealed cap and a cover round it and runs for 6 hours on less than 4 litres if petrol.
We were parked next to a Polish van yesterday. He had the engine running to charge his batteries. The noise wasn't so bad, just a muted rattle, but still louder than my genny. It was the smell of diesel fuel being run through a very worn engine that was bad.
We moved to another aire!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back