Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I need to get a couple of additional keys for my Fiat MH. I would like another remote fob and a couple of flat keys.

What's the best way to get these.

Kevin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any shoe repairer or hardware store should carry plain key blanks....they will only unlock doors and release steering lock, they wont start the engine.

fob key you may get off ebay, but it will need coding to the ECU/immobiliser to work.
to do that you need either a red (master) key or for later models a dealer will be able to find the code from their database.
either way, a dealer visit will be needed to program the fob key.

edit, sorry just realised you have a VW so ignore the red key reference

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was only one ignition key when we got our MH. The dealer arranged for an extra one (and paid for it) but it had to be done through the local Fiat commercial dealer/agent not a car sales garage. The key was delivered to the agent and we took the van to have it coded whilst we waited. It cost (our dealer) around £200 or so.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi

I need to get a couple of additional keys for my Fiat MH. I would like another remote fob and a couple of flat keys.

What's the best way to get these.

Kevin

FIat dealer is your best bet but expensive and you need to update your profile Kevin
MH Type: Self Built
MH Model: VW Ambulance Conversion

Peter

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have had 2 cut at Timpsons, ( not electronic) for £10 for my (merc) Hymer.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
My dealer says they are going to ask the previous owner about the 2nd key. I think they really should have covered that one on the trade in.

I hope not, BUT I can see a row brewing on this. They are saying its a used vehicle and comes as is and it was for me to ask if there were all the keys for the vehicle and not their obligation to tell me on was missing.

Is this a common thing?

Seems some have had had luck with eBay. Can someone recommend a particular vendor please. PM if you don't want to do it put it publically.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Some of the Fiats only ever came with one key and a card of some sort

Peter

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The Mother in law had a new key cut and the transponder coded for her fiat panda at the local Timsons only last week cost her £50.

They advertise all keys including remotes cut and coded although they may have to order the blank in (24hrs delivery)

Lunarman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some of the Fiats only ever came with one key and a card of some sort

Peter

officially the code cards were never issued in the UK after insurers kicked off about security issues....card in van, van stolen later with spare coded key.

instead of the cards the registering dealers had all the info on a central database.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on what year your Fiat is, if it's a newer (x250) model then you'll have to get a second remote fob from Fiat themselves, it will cost around £300 or so I'm afraid - we had to do this for our 2012 Autocruise Accent as, although it came with a remote and a normal type key, we wanted a second remote key as hubby didn't fancy being stranded in France or somewhere like that after having lost the only remote key and trying to manage with just a normal type key!:RollEyes:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I was recently quoted by Jordons of Hull £250 for a replacement key and i have to take van in to have it married to the key.Needless to say i am waiting a couple of weeks in case my spare turns up .LOL.:cry:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had a replacement VW key coded at a local dealer and it cost £125 for less than 10 minutes work!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
officially the code cards were never issued in the UK after insurers kicked off about security issues....card in van, van stolen later with spare coded key.

instead of the cards the registering dealers had all the info on a central database.
I have what looks like a code card in with the info I got given from the dealer when I bought my used Adria. Quotes an electronic code and a mechanical code. It is blue coloured, but has nothing about Fiat on it though. Is that the one? I have a different one for my Cobra alarm PIN number, but that locks and alarms all the doors as well!

I wonder if Timpsons can do anything for me, because I would like a second alarm key.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back