Taking a trip to Portugal in Jan to find some warmer weather (1 Viewer)

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi there
I wonder if anyone could advise us. We are planning on taking a trip down to Portugal around the 3rd Jan in chase of some warmer weather. We plan to be away for about 6 weeks. Could anyone advise us as to the best route to take or anywhere in particular we should head for?
Thank you
Deborah and Colin
AKA Helga

OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
First make your mind up about the ferry. Do you want to slog all the way from Calais or go direct to Santander.

Well we quite fancied going on the ferry but then someone told us the sea was likely to be very rough so we decided it might be better to drive all the way there and probably cheaper.
Thank you for your help
Deborah x

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Debora
We are booked on the Portsmouth/ Bilboa Ferry on the 5th Jan heading down South to Albuferia on the C & CC rally not been before so I cant help much help but we are looking forward to it, the only problem driving down through France is the weather can be very bad snow etc, we have had friends stuck, also some stuck at Portsmouth due to Ferries cancelled due to bad weather so it's six of one or six of another which route is best, but we prefer the Ferry. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Ps enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It rains a lot up in the northern third of Portugal,a mate who lives about 15 mins. north of Faro,will not come and visit us,as his wife says....... "It's TO COLD :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:".
The part where we are is very nice,but at this time of the year,rain is to be expected,saying that,the last couple of weeks have been big blue skied,but this week,there have been quite heavy frosts in the morning, warming up 10 o'clock onwards.
So,go south,must go,of outside to sunbathe:thumb:
Tea Bag

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
See you there then Peter we are travelling on the 12 Dec and driving down from Dunkerque should be there by The 20th Dec.

We will have the kettle on for you.............

Route is roughly Rouen to Bordeaux, then Hendaye, Pamplona, Burgos, Salamanca, Badajoz, Evora, Albufeira.

Never been before so only time will tell if its a good route or not.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there
I wonder if anyone could advise us. We are planning on taking a trip down to Portugal around the 3rd Jan in chase of some warmer weather. We plan to be away for about 6 weeks. Could anyone advise us as to the best route to take or anywhere in particular we should head for?
Thank you
Deborah and Colin
AKA Helga

JJ is your man on here for Portugal...Drop him a PM and ask away..:Smile:

PS He is a Man City fan too:thumb:

OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Cheers

Thank you all for your replies.
Starting to get excited now
Deborah x
:Smile::Smile:

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
if you Pass Albufeira

Thank you all for your replies.
Starting to get excited now
Deborah x
:Smile::Smile:

hello Helga

I´m Pedro(Big Pedro) as most of funsters call me, me and my wife Mireille run a special site, very smal but full of nice activeteis.

So if wen you come to Portugal and pass here in Albufeira, please come to visit us, it will be a pleasur to know you and have a drink with you...

http://motorhomefriends.com

even if you don´t stay us, please pass here, we always have some funsters here, it's always nice to meet new friends.

Pedro & Mireille

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
Deborah,

Just FYI, we left Estopona Spain (really not that far from Portugal) just over a week ago. We were £93 on Le Shuttle and £417 or EURO495 on diesel. We wanted to get back as quickly as possible so used toll roads nearly all the way. We have a tag for France and haven't had the bill yet but we paid EURO32 for Spanish tolls. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip. :Smile:

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
hello Helga

I´m Pedro(Big Pedro) as most of funsters call me, me and my wife Mireille run a special site, very smal but full of nice activeteis.

So if wen you come to Portugal and pass here in Albufeira, please come to visit us, it will be a pleasur to know you and have a drink with you...

http://motorhomefriends.com

even if you don´t stay us, please pass here, we always have some funsters here, it's always nice to meet new friends.

Pedro & Mireille

Hi Pedro

What sort of temperatures do you get there in January and February?

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We're off on the 4th Jan, euro-tunnel, by passing Rouen, there are bridge repairs, although they might be finish by then, on to friends at Hardanges for a couple of days, then to San Sebastian (Aire) then down to an aire near Salamanca, where we stayed with Sundowners the able down into Portugal, cant wait. Make sure you all have your stickers in the windows.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our MHF nameplate is in our window at EVERY rally we attend ! Doesn't matter what organisation is running the rally - if they can't be bothered providing nice nameplates ......... !

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
algarve

Hi Pedro

Hi

My freind, for me it´s a littel bit cold:winky:, but i ken tell you in the past, same days in febuary, i went to the beach an pass a day swim in the sea:thumb:, in the nigth is a littel bit cold....

But in the begining of January,it´s a littel bit cold....but most of the days in the day time, you don´t need a jacket, in the nigth is wen it´s cold.....

i ken tell you, is a bit like the days we are having here now in Algarve, in the evening and early morning is a littel bit cold, but after 11 am an till 4pm you enjoy the sun onli with a shirt or a swetshirt....today for Dezembem it´s a very good day, herewe have sun and 19º day time, and in the evning probably it will be 9º....

See you soon
Pedro & Mireille

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Last year in Portugal during December / January it was around 18C most days from about 10am to about 3pm and some days we got 22C for short periods. You can get away with jeans and a tea shirt ( Mel was in shorts a few days!! ) and one chap ( who's name has gone from my mind ) was in shorts 247.....

At night you will need a jumper or coat, but again some did not wear anything other than a tea shirt!!!!

In 9 days time I will be able to report back here as to what the weather is like on he ground.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Good question because I was daydreaming last night of going that way after Christmas. This site gives what are probably useful figures.

You will often just see a graph showing average temperatures which isn't much use at it is the average over 24 hours but the graph at the bottom of the page shows average highs and lows. It also shows the rainfall and the average number of days each month rain falls on.

The above is easily digestible information but if you want more detail the best weather site I know is www.yr.no which despite being Norwegian is a brilliant resource. Just type in a place and it will show things like the next 10 days forecast and also by clicking the statistics button you can get annual figures. For example: Link Removed

I used this site on a cycle trip up the west coast of France this summer and their 10 day forecast turned out to be spot on everyday.

However, from what I have read getting a pitch which gets full sun all day and is out of the wind is perhaps the most important factor!

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Maybe see you their!

Hi Debora
We are booked on the Portsmouth/ Bilboa Ferry on the 5th Jan heading down South to Albuferia on the C & CC rally not been before so I cant help much help but we are looking forward to it, the only problem driving down through France is the weather can be very bad snow etc, we have had friends stuck, also some stuck at Portsmouth due to Ferries cancelled due to bad weather so it's six of one or six of another which route is best, but we prefer the Ferry. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Ps enjoy your trip
Hi!
We are heading down to the C & CC rally on the 27th Dec - hopefully in time for the New Year bash. We are their for a month, then off to the Lagos rally for a further month.:thumb:
Hope to see you their! Drive carefully...
Caroline & Adrian

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Maybe see you there

We will also be at the C&C Club Rally at Albufeira. Arriving 27th Dec!
Leave Portsmouth/Santander 20th then to Lisbon for Christmas with family. A few days at The Chicken Run on route.

Pete and Shirley

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
See you there then Peter we are travelling on the 12 Dec and driving down from Dunkerque should be there by The 20th Dec.

We will have the kettle on for you.............

Route is roughly Rouen to Bordeaux, then Hendaye, Pamplona, Burgos, Salamanca, Badajoz, Evora, Albufeira.

Never been before so only time will tell if its a good route or not.

You can get severe weather around BURGOS but roads never blocked for long in Spain.BUSBY::bigsmile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
18c near Huelva Spain today, cool this evening. Huelva is about 40 minutes from Portugal. Hope that helps:thumb:

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
New Year!

We will also be at the C&C Club Rally at Albufeira. Arriving 27th Dec!
Leave Portsmouth/Santander 20th then to Lisbon for Christmas with family. A few days at The Chicken Run on route.

Pete and Shirley
Hi
Many thanks for your reply. We go on the Santander ferry on the 27th Dec, so anticipate arriving at the C & CC rally on the 30th Dec to get our bearings for the New Year bash. Hope to see you their - we have booked it, though cannot pay til we arrive - let them know we are on our way! What is the Chicken Run? See you their, we are getting really excited now!
Adrian & Caroline

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
New Year

The Chicken Run is a small rural campsite near Alvor. We have not been there before, but it has been recommended. We thought we would try it for a few days.

Peter and Shirley

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed at Chicken run earlier this year it's like a rural Cl with orange and lemon trees run by a lovely English family
Hook up water black dump
Village 10 min walk bank bar supermarket
A place to chill :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back