Aires (Camperstops) in Spain - Totana (1 Viewer)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I posted this on a Benidorm thread to show that camperstops in Spain aren´t all like car parks, but it then struck me that people wanting quiet and tranquil might not read a Benidorm thread although at 5,000 plus views that might not be the case :Smile:. So for anyone wanting quiet I have reposted. Hope this doesn´t break any rules.

"Not all Spanish aires are like the one at Calpe. Take a look at:

www.camperstopsierraespuna.blogspot.com

This is our neighbours camperstop and, unfortunately, is not being well used. They are going to continue for this season and review their options for next year. It will never have the traffic that the coastal places will have, but for anyone wanting a quiet, tranquil place to park it is perfect. It is excellent for anyone wanting to go mountain walking and biking also. Everyone that does visit has commented on how nice it is and are surprised at the lack of use.

Also take a look at my blog below for info. on the surrounding area."

ju(mar)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed there for a couple of months last year (cannot make it this year)

The site is superb!!! The owners are luvverly people who could not have made us more welcome.
If you like walking or cycling along with tranquility then this is for you!

The resident Brits are great folks too (just watch that Martin!!!)

:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
People staying for months and resident campers can hardly be called an Aire or Camperstop. Thats a campsite in my book and this is where the problem starts, people get dug in on what starts off as a nice Aire and turn it into a trailer park. There is nothing wrong with trailer parks or campsites, but please dont call them an Aire or Camperstop, cos that causes the confusion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for that one, could be handy for us, as we pass around 4th Jan. on the way to Morocco. :thumb:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Looks to be a lovely site, would be great shame if lack of visitors caused closure, will give it a go next time we are in Murcia. Have bookmarked it and sent it to friends.

Regards, Bryan

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
A bit more info.....

We would walk into town n back for bread n bits along the rambla.
Once a week we would take the van in to shop. Wednesday is best as there is a massive market!
The carnival in town is spectacular.

Walking, you are 1k from the Sierra Espuna, no better walking anywhere. The walk up the rambla to La Santa is great where there is a fantastic church.
Their is a semi private road runs past the site with easy cycling.

If you are into mountain biking it would be heaven for you, talk to the resident Brits as they are cycling mutters. :Smile:

PS our van is 7mtrs and parking in town is a doddle!

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
People staying for months and resident campers can hardly be called an Aire or Camperstop. Thats a campsite in my book and this is where the problem starts, people get dug in on what starts off as a nice Aire and turn it into a trailer park. There is nothing wrong with trailer parks or campsites, but please dont call them an Aire or Camperstop, cos that causes the confusion.

If you knew the place you would know how far from the truth you are!!!

We were the only ones who stayed that long. And we don't set up a "trailer park" :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you knew the place you would know how far from the truth you are!!!

We were the only ones who stayed that long. And we don't set up a "trailer park" :Doh:

Sorry Ken....but is this your post or not. If so, that is not an Aire.
We stayed there for a couple of months last year (cannot make it this year)

The site is superb!!! The owners are luvverly people who could not have made us more welcome.
If you like walking or cycling along with tranquility then this is for you!

The resident Brits are great folks too (just watch that Martin!!!)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I just find running down a place you do not know unnesseccary. I will bow out now. :Angry:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We met Ken here earlier this year - it's everything he says it is, super spot, great centre for walks and cycling, handy for Totana and they've a few extra facilities now too. We'll be back soon. It just takes time for a place to get known and it doesn't help when people run it down just to make some point.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So far this season, i.e. from beginning of October, the most staying at any one time has been 5, and this only for one night. The neighbours are happy for people to stay one night or more but I don´t think it will ever be full of long stayers because it´s not close to a beach and with no bars and restaurants within staggering distance.

Their initial idea was to have a safe parking area for people travelling north or south along the motorway and this, at the moment, is the case.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ken I do not wish to be pedantic, and have read through my posts again and cannot see anywhere that I have run the place down. All I have said is that it does not seem to be a Camperstop or Aire from what has been described by others. As a campsite it looks very nice and am sure it is, and as such I would have no hesitation of visiting, but why is it called a Camperstop, when clearly it isn't.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have seen this place before on the net, and would love to stay a while when passing in Jan/Feb.
Would any of you know if i could get my fifth wheel rig in there? It looks big enough on the site, but what about the roads to, and access to, the site itself?

Craig

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As a newbie there seems to me to be some very sterile arguments (and a bit of snobbery?) on this site sometimes about what is or isn't an Aire. What practical difference does it make? Seems not a lot to me.

In the short time I have been motorhoming I have seen at least one place called an Aire that had better facilities than a campsite and vice versa. I really could not care less what something is called, I just want to stay somewhere nice for as many or as few days as I want. That is the freedom I was looking for when i bought my motorhome. If I feel like it I will move on. And if I don't I won't. So is the same place an Aire if I stay for a day, but a campsite if I stay for a week? Who cares - life it too short for those sort of arguments.

I for one would just like to thank the OP for the information on what looks to be a nice "place" (to put it neutrally) to stop for one or more nights. And at 7 Euros it looks good value for what it offers. It will be a real shame if it closes through lack of use. I will certainly consider it when I am in the area and I have bookmarked it so that I can do so.

Last edited:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Getting a bit bogged down in terminology Dave, does it really matter what they call themselves. As for people staying longer periods, we all know "official Aires" where MH'ers stopped for weeks at a time in some places (eg Castro Marim - Portugal)........ does that mean it is a camp site ?

Live and let live...... call it what you like guys, just give value for money facilities to your visitors.

Regards and good luck for the future

Bryan

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
People staying for months and resident campers can hardly be called an Aire or Camperstop. Thats a campsite in my book and this is where the problem starts, people get dug in on what starts off as a nice Aire and turn it into a trailer park. There is nothing wrong with trailer parks or campsites, but please don't call them an Aire or Camperstop, cos that causes the confusion.
It is a valid point you make Snowbird and a few years back there was a distinct boundary between the campsite and the Aires/Stellplaz stopovers. This now is becoming very blurred, some free aires are now charging what amounts to campsite fees with extra for water/black waste and electric. add to that that there does not seem to be any enforcement on the few Aires that display notices of 24 or 48hrs maximum stay.
The Great German Board Atlas the bible of stellplaz has places with showers and toilets. I have yet to see swimming pools but at some of the 'Bad' or Spar towns as we know them there are often Stelplaz places adjacent to the Therms.
Perhaps the only difference will be in the planning/local council regulations on granting permission for Camping sites and who has friends to influence their decision making process

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have seen this place before on the net, and would love to stay a while when passing in Jan/Feb.
Would any of you know if i could get my fifth wheel rig in there? It looks big enough on the site, but what about the roads to, and access to, the site itself?

Craig

PM Jumar a member on here who will answer your question. :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just to throw petrol on the fire I can't see this site in the Camperstop Europe Guide which is what Dave (Snowbird) was saying. I believe its a camp site that has used Camperstop in its title :thumb:

Will certainly look it up though when we are passing

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just to throw petrol on the fire I can't see this site in the Camperstop Europe Guide which is what Dave (Snowbird) was saying. I believe its a camp site that has used Camperstop in its title :thumb:

Will certainly look it up though when we are passing

No, it was withdrawn by owner as he was thinking of closing it. Seems he may yet which would be a great pity. :cry:

It is in our Spanish Aires book No 104

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Over the years I have been a member of this forum I have lost count of the posts condemning those that hog Aires for weeks and months as there is no room for those that are travelling and want to visit a specific area. It now seems that its OK and excepted to do just that. Aires were never set up in the first place for long term residents. Thats what campsites are for. Regarding snobbery.......Anyone that has had the good fortune to actually meet me will know that I am just about as far removed as an Aire from a campsite. I just say it as it is, or as I find it. What is the point in giving revues on anything if its not correct. If the said Aire is a campsite, call it a campsite, dont wrap it up as something its not. As I said earlier, I have nothing against campsites, as a matter of fact am on one now. Whats more, as I also said earlier, I have never put this "Aire" down and how could I as I have never visited the place. I did have something to say about the Aire at Calp as I had visited that Aire. The owner of the Aire we are discussing was the one that put the Calp Aire down, I wonder if he has visited said Aire ?

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
as a newbie there seems to me to be some very sterile arguments (and a bit of snobbery?) on this site sometimes about what is or isn't an aire. What practical difference does it make? Seems not a lot to me.

In the short time i have been motorhoming i have seen at least one place called an aire that had better facilities than a campsite and vice versa. I really could not care less what something is called, i just want to stay somewhere nice for as many or as few days as i want. That is the freedom i was looking for when i bought my motorhome. If i feel like it i will move on. And if i don't i won't. So is the same place an aire if i stay for a day, but a campsite if i stay for a week? Who cares - life it too short for those sort of arguments.

I for one would just like to thank the op for the information on what looks to be a nice "place" (to put it neutrally) to stop for one or more nights. And at 7 euros it looks good value for what it offers. It will be a real shame if it closes through lack of use. I will certainly consider it when i am in the area and i have bookmarked it so that i can do so.

hear hear

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ken is right, the OWNERS are Spanish and don´t read FUN. I am beginning to wish I
hadn´t started this thread.

Camperstop Sierra Espuna is a private camperstop. It has NEVER been a campsite. It was made from a spare area of land that they own. It doesn´t take caravans and tents, only camper vans and motorhomes so it is not a campsite. It is up to the discretion of the owners how long they let people stay, (which at the moment is a moot point as there are very few people here).

The camperstop owners abide by the rulings on what vehicles they can accept, which is why they have said no to a Fifth Wheeler in the past.

I (jumar) am the only person in any way connected to this camperstop (as a neighbour) who posts on FUN and I didn´t put down the Aire in Calpe (which by the way I have seen) only posted to show another side of Camperstops in Spain.

So ... it´s a place where camper vans and motorhomes can STOP so what should it be called?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Let the thread run Jumar the majority are in your favour!!!

If camperstop closes we ALL lose a wonderful facility!!!

What it is called is irrelevant the site and the welcome are the important things! :thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am beginning to wish I
hadn´t started this thread.
Please don't wish that. You have done the owner a favour by publicising what looks a nice place to stay, which will mean he may get enough people to keep it open. And you have done us a favour by pointing it out to us so that we can do our part in keeping it open. As I have said I don't care what it calls itself and nor do most others I suspect. Aire, camperstop. campsite, car park or any other name the owner uses will do.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
To my knowledge, the OWNER has never posted on here I don't think he even reads FUN![/QUOTE]

Given that he might not survive beyond this year due to lack of customers...... maybe he should read it, subscribe to it and maybe even advertise on FUN? Just a thought:winky:

Regards, Bryan

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
No, it was withdrawn by owner as he was thinking of closing it. Seems he may yet which would be a great pity. :cry:

It is in our Spanish Aires book No 104

In the 3rd edition of the Spanish Aires book it's now no. 146 - book marked for our trip early in 2014 :thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well we stayed two nights ago and my personal view: Great place. It was clean and tidy, with security camera on site, the owner came across and checked we were ok and the electric and WiFi were perfect. Washing machine, washing area hot showers etc.
Now it might not be to everyone liking as it not near a pub, shop or village, however the views are great and for anyone into walking/hiking there are many routes you can enjoy or just want to enjoy peace and quiet.
I personally do not care what it's called Aire or MH site the place is worth a visit and not far from the motorway as a "stopping point". For what they offer "cheap as chips"
At the end of the day were you stay is your choice, however if we don't start using/supporting these sort of places they will close and we all end up paying loads of money just to park.......................

Will we visit again YES without fail on your outings.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just a quick comment on Don Quixote's post. There is a shower but at the moment only cold water as the owner is reluctant to spend any more money at present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back