Beware Courier Delivery of Batteries! (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know what happened when my two Elecsol 125AH batteries arrived by courier direct from the factory.

I helped the courier bring them in and the boxes were very wet. The courier told me that this was due to some plants he had delivered leaving a lot of water in the van.

The boxes were left overnight on my utility room floor which has Italian tiles with protective coating. ie expensive!

The following morning I removed the packaging and found the batteries to be soaked. The smell was acidic, but I have experienced this with cardboard when it gets soaked.

An email to the supplier resulted in this response:

It is unfortunate but unavoidable that couriers don’t always keep the packages the right way up regardless of packaging signs etc

Another battery that has come from Elecsol had a similar issue and I spoke with Elecsol and their response was as follows:

If some of the electrolyte has leaked out then top us as necessary as follows.
To open the cells use a small screwdriver and gently press up not applying too much pressure.
If any cell is slightly low customer can add small quantity of distilled water. There will be absolutely no detriment to the batteries performance if acid had come out with carrier.
The battery requires no venting at all as the gases are recombined within the valve walls internally.

So I checked and the electrolyte was OK. The batteries were then placed outside

The following morning it was clear that it had indeed been electrolyte as the floor had been stripped in patches and the penknife I used to open the boxes totally ruined!

So I contacted Elecsol and explained the situation. After a little bit of argument the owner a Mr Gallimore agreed that if I had the tiles stripped and re coated he would pay any reasonable costs.

I have suggested to Elecsol and do the same on here that if you have any batteries delivered by courier do not place them on a surface that can be damaged.

Best regards

Chris

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I'm sorry and no disrespect but surely batteries belong in the garage and not in the house?

Also any dampness on batteries or packaging should always be treated as if it is acid I know only too well the amout of overalls and clothes that I have managed to ruin, truth is any damage takes a while to manifest itself by which time it is too late!

Regards Pat

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I'm waiting for an Elecsol battery to be delivered. When I queried Elecsol they emailed to say the batteries are sealed so how do they leak?

:RollEyes:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sorry and no disrespect but surely batteries belong in the garage and not in the house?

Also any dampness on batteries or packaging should always be treated as if it is acid I know only too well the amout of overalls and clothes that I have managed to ruin, truth is any damage takes a while to manifest itself by which time it is too late!

Regards Pat

Hi Pat,

Interesting thought so let me qualify.

We buy lots of batteries through our business and I have never had a leak! So when a courier says it is water from plants I am very likely to accept this.

Logic tells me that a battery that leaks should not be sent via a courier so I never imagined that this would be the case.

As the RV is by the back door and the battery bay was being hammerited the most sensible place for the batteries was in the utility room!

Hope that helps to explain:thumb:

Regards

Chris

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I'm waiting for an Elecsol battery to be delivered. When I queried Elecsol they emailed to say the batteries are sealed so how do they leak?

:RollEyes:
Keith

Good point. Both mine are sealed on the basis that I have experienced overcharging batterier and leaking all over. So I did panic a wee bit. But if you look at it logically, unless casing cracked, where does it leak from.:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back