Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
QUESTION, I hope this is in the right place. Just picked up a hire van to go France tomorrow, it is a new vw transporter, how do I change the beam setting for driving on the other side of the road, can not see a leaver under the bonnet to do it, there are no lines on the head light at get an idea of were to put tape. On our m/h we have head light covers with the deflector in it so no problem there, but with this van I have no idea any advise please.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Headlamp deflectors

There was a test of "stick-on" headlamp beam deflectors in the Motorhome press recently. (about 2 months ago and may have been MMM but I can't find it now).

The test showed that "Eurolight" ("Eurolite"?) adaptors work well if installed in accordance with the supplied chart. Available from Halfords at about £8 a set.

Over the years I have been Continental Motoring, both with MH or caravan, I have always tried to use adaptors and keep in accordance with the Law, Insurance Requirements etc, but find that most have simply masked some of the projected light rather than redirecting the beam.

I tend to think that £8 is not much to avoid your Insurance Company refusing to pay out if you have a night time accident.

Remember, headlights are becoming used more frequently in daylight now, poor visibility, rain etc., so the fact you are not driving at night is not the only relevant factor.

Enjoy your travels !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
There was a test of "stick-on" headlamp beam deflectors in the Motorhome press recently. (about 2 months ago and may have been MMM but I can't find it now).

The test showed that "Eurolight" ("Eurolite"?) adaptors work well if installed in accordance with the supplied chart. Available from Halfords at about £8 a set.

Over the years I have been Continental Motoring, both with MH or caravan, I have always tried to use adaptors and keep in accordance with the Law, Insurance Requirements etc, but find that most have simply masked some of the projected light rather than redirecting the beam.

I tend to think that £8 is not much to avoid your Insurance Company refusing to pay out if you have a night time accident.

Remember, headlights are becoming used more frequently in daylight now, poor visibility, rain etc., so the fact you are not driving at night is not the only relevant factor.

Enjoy your travels !

Eurolights are eve cheaper from amazon we bought a set for ours this week

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Damar,

Don't bother modern vehicles in this day and age don't need them we are currently in Spain and been in Europe now for nearly a year and I have taken the ones off both my 61 plate Fiat Ducato Autotrail motorhome and Fiat 500 car because they apparently ruin the plastic lenses and the main fact that they are not needed just use the self adjuster in the vehicle.

No one to date has flashed me and to be honest I am glad I took them off when I did before they did ruin the lenses.

If you don't believe it ask your local MOT testing Station

Regards

Dave

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a great and cheap tip for repairing the plastic lenses if the tape stains them is polish them with toothpaste.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To keep costs per set down, buy packs of 10 on eBay. Works out at just less than £4 a pair.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
To keep costs per set down, buy packs of 10 on eBay. Works out at just less than £4 a pair.

10 divide x 2 = 5
£4 for 2 x 5 = 20

How is if cheaper than £8. Fir a set
Your spending £20

I think I am surrounded by nutters
And not just at meets. They are turning up on forum posts now

:Eeek:
Is it just me ???? ::winky:Doh::RollEyes:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:

Save me mother save me !!!!

OP
OP
damar

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
well I didn't bother in the end, now down in Cannes, only got flashed a couple of times. :thumb:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
a great and cheap tip for repairing the plastic lenses if the tape stains them is polish them with toothpaste.

That's a great suggestion and I can see how/why that works - However, my neighbour's are always banging on how I am forever cleaning and tinkering with my MH baby,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am really looking forward to my Sunday morning next as I am armed with a toothbrush and my colgate polishing the headlamps. :roflmto:

It'll give them something to cackle about though, I bet.

Thanks,

Trikeman. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back