LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not the one in my workshop, my broadband.

I seem to have had this discussion before about my BB connection and the consensus was get Sky to sort it out but it's been happening again over the last couple of days. :Sad:

After a bit of fiddling about rebooting both the laptop and the router, changing filters, plugging into the test socket I eventually get a steady internet light so it seems it's my set up at fault. Can now get into my home page no problem (the Daily Mail) but I get a box popup asking for a u/n and p/w for "Sky Router when I try Fun. If I fill them in it takes me to the Sky BB set up page, if I cancel I get a blank screen. I've cleared cookies and history to no avail.

Today Sky suggest I try another browser (I use Firefox) and when trying I.E. I get on to Fun. They also don't appear to like my telephone wiring set up. :Angry:

Now I did have an old system with radials going all over the house but changed a few years ago when we got BB as apparently the router was "hunting" for a connection all the time. I now have the master in the lounge where the router plugs in and where I use the laptop and a smart tv with a feed going from the rear connections to a secondary in the hall where the phone is plugged in via a filter. Sky suggest the phone should be plugged in with the router but I'm reluctant because it's too distant for us to answer quickly. :Blush:

So two questions. Why does Fun work with one browser and not another occasionally and is my phone wiring causing a drop out?

Best on a postcard in case I get cut off again. :Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I had a similar problem recently with the broadband dropping out for a few minutes before starting up again. This went on for some months progressively getting worse .... finally BT tested the line and found a fault which they eventually corrected and had no problems since.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't really help but one of the reasons I'm with BT is because I reasoned if both the phone and the internet were with the same company one couldn't play off against the other as whatever the problem is it's for BT to sort it out. This doesn't make things necessarily easier - moving house this year was a nightmare but once they had sorted out the 'phone line the BT internet man arrived and didn't leave until it was all working.

I must confess to being slightly surprised by the internet setup he installed. Compared to our old system the BT Infinity system uses two boxes but then it doesn't require filters on the phones and all works well now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
old telephone wiring is a real pain in the proverbial when tracing faults

i recomend uscrewing the face plate and unplugging the internal plug for the extensions. if the fault disappears you know its somewhere in the house. old external wires are another issue as they corrode out in the weather

if your issue is limited to your firefox browser. reset the browser by clicking HELP then TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION the click on RESET FIREFOX. close ALL browser windows and reopen to test

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Checked the wiring more than once but I will remove that secondary feed if the problem keeps on recurring. What has worked since is your recommendation to reset the Firefox browser. Lost all my settings and toolbar layout but no problem and I can now get into FUN and my quiz on Firefox so a result there. :clap:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar problem recently with the broadband dropping out for a few minutes before starting up again. This went on for some months progressively getting worse .... finally BT tested the line and found a fault which they eventually corrected and had no problems since.

snap !

bb constantly dropping out...router showing DSL failure.

BT checked the line but said no problems found.....because it wasnt raining at the time.
i took a walk down the phone line (not literally :Doh:) and where the line passed through tree branches i could see bare copper conductors where the wire had rubbed on branches.

as soon as it rained the connection dropped.

told BT and they checked again...no fault (still dry) so asked for an engineer visit.

was told £130 if no fault found even though i told them the wire was damaged beyond repair. :Doh:

new line from pole to house and all sorted, with a faster speed as well. (if you think 3.2Meg is fast :Sad:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back