Calais Port Aire - a rumour of change? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just had an e-mail via my website from someone who says that while he was re-watering at the Calais Port Aire he was told by a local that it was going to be shut for redevelopment by whoever runs the neighbouring campsite. Re-development into what is not known - maybe a better aire? Anyway, I thought I'd start the rumour mill grinding and see where it goes. Maybe if anyone's there in the next few weeks they could ask the ticket person who comes round in the evening?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Not new that i,m afraid they are starting to build a new one 3 mile away ,the existing one will be cars only ,and i,m told due to complications it may not be ready for next year.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just had an e-mail via my website from someone who says that while he was re-watering at the Calais Port Aire he was told by a local that it was going to be shut for redevelopment by whoever runs the neighbouring campsite. Re-development into what is not known - maybe a better aire? Anyway, I thought I'd start the rumour mill grinding and see where it goes. Maybe if anyone's there in the next few weeks they could ask the ticket person who comes round in the evening?

Correct what tree tops has said...we have now been told by three french residents of Calais...one of them being the lady Mayor...they intend building west of the port Aire and Marina site...a brand new site...it will be where all the new cars used to be stockpiled...put thse coords in google maps 50.958913,1.83024 this was mentioned to us at least 1 year ago when wa was speaking to the lady Mayor in the vets in calais...the lady mayor said the new campsite would be 4star...the Aire ?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So am I right in thinking that the existing campsite is municipal, and the local council are relocating it to a bigger site away from the port? One has to hope that they'll have some sort of lower cost annexe for overnight MH stopovers, which has been a growing trend with French campsites recently. They'd be fools to think we'll all fork out for a four star pitch just to wait for a ferry.

I suppose the marina aire will be off limits before too long then, given that it's administered by the campsite?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
So am I right in thinking that the existing campsite is municipal, and the local council are relocating it to a bigger site away from the port? One has to hope that they'll have some sort of lower cost annexe for overnight MH stopovers, which has been a growing trend with French campsites recently. They'd be fools to think we'll all fork out for a four star pitch just to wait for a ferry.

I suppose the marina aire will be off limits before too long then, given that it's administered by the campsite?

I am not 100%...I think the lady mayor mentioned two aires at Bleriot Plage (where the new cars use to be stocked piled)...and the campsite not far off (at the west end of the marina)
To be honest there were two us of asking the lady Mayor questions in the vets...plus she is a very quite person ...so it was like pulling teeth getting information

Calais this year from July the 15th till the end of September...was chaotic....for motorhomers it was bliss..but most of them was Germany, Belgium and Nederland's...these were stopping for weeks on end not moving on..also Quite a few Italians..then there were the Brits coming in and out in a afternoon or a night as they go to the ferries or further down in France for there holidays...
For French residents:Eeek:...and French cars coming to the coast for the day:Angry::Doh:....it was a nightmare nowhere to park...there was motorhomes right to the sea front
....motorhomes parking on the road....motorhomes parking in other car parks set out for the cars in front of the pharmacy....it was motorhomes everywhere ..so I suppose something had to go..
Each year I see more and more Motorhomes...and at Calais there was Hungary reg vans Italian reg Spanish reg and many more european registered motorhomes saying they was on route to ENGLAND:RollEyes::winky::winky:.....it's the good life::bigsmile::thumb:to be honest I was suprised at the numbers heading to the UK....they did say for a holiday:winky::winky:...or they could be looking for j*bs for when they do come over into the UK

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In Calais, we sometimes stay in the football ground car park. Huge place and easy to find ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back