Are there any true facts about diet food (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have been searching on the net about diet foods-- I haver seen so many ads, why is it such big business :whatthe:

Why are there so many conflicting ads saying one thing, then another about what is good or bad:whatthe:

I thought I would follow the NHS advice but all the reviews on there say I will probably poison myself:cry:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx

Where can I find a list of what to eat, so as to loose weight without feeling like I ought to take a nutrition degree to understand it all:Eeek:

I`m on a no carb / meat only diet now for x 2 weeks, but looks like I will suffer kidney failure from too much protein according to one site :cry:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
if everyone listened to all the various and conflicting advice on food and took it all to heart everyone would die of starvation.

My personal advice is that if you are looking to lose weight, eat sensibly and increase your exercising.

It is far better to lose a little weight at a time than starve yourself or diet hard and loose lots of weight quickly. Losing weight quickly also means the skin isnt given time to shrink back either (albeit it doesnt always shrink anyway).

Good luck xxxxxxxxxx

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Diet foods make you fat!

There have never been so many diet plans so why is the population more obese than ever?

Quite a few folk on here have found the 5:2 plan works for them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
er ....meat only ? That is not good for you at all :Eeek:

The best way to loose weight is cut out fat and sugar and the best way to do that is to stop eating processed foods of any kind. And eat a balanced diet of fresh vegetables, fruit, rice, lean unprocessed meat, fish etc, non of it fried, just boiled or cooked in a non fat fryer. Also absolutely no cheese and only a very limited daily dairy intake.

Without the processed fat and sugar in your diet and some regular excersise (plus also all that roughage) the weight should start dropping off you!

I went to SE Asia for a month last year and their diet is largely the above, the weight was dropping off me by the day without the processed foods and all the hidden fat and sugar they contain.:thumb: The American on my trip was loosing so much weight on the local diet she was stuffing biscuits 24/7

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Only one way-----eat less and move more

Good advice now I need to put it into pracise

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Jim has hit the nail on the head. Look at the countries that are poor..... because they have to walk to work - work hard all day - do not get paid much - they eat less.

We have become a world of "junk food" and it is so easy to lift the phone call local pizza place and order a 19in with all the toppings....... a TV program a few weeks back showed that many families order in food instead of cooking it.:Eeek:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Only one way-----eat less and move more

Good advice now I need to put it into pracise

I have been trying that for 6 weeks now --
I think I cannot eat any less:cry:

Breakfast-- x2 Weetabix ,skimmed milk , no sugar

Lunch--- x3 slices of ham , no bread

Later--- x2 loin pork chops with mushrooms / onions , no spuds or anything else.

No sugar in tea/ coffee.

That's the diet every day and I do a physical job 10 hrs a day and ride a bicycle sundays for 15 miles.

I`m still putting it on:cry:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe I know one true fact about all so called "diet" food...

It is overpriced.

JJ :Cool:

PS. Mine isn't fat... It's strongness.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is only one "diet" I can recommend - it is called the 5:2 diet or variations thereof. It requires no fancy special foods, you just cut back your food intake for two days a week. I did it on Mondays and Thursdays for a couple of months some time ago and I wasn't what you would call overweight to begin with. The weight has slowly crept back on so I have started again this week. When I get back down to my target weight of eleven and a half stone (I'm five foot nine and a bit) I will try and switch to a 6:1 regime, where I only eat less on one day a week to keep the weight off.

The guy who pioneered this is often on the Beeb and he has a website which explains it: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ The health benefits are also very significant.

Cynics will no doubt scoff because on this diet you eat normally for five days a week but the system really works and because it doesn't require any special foods you will save money because you simply eat less!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Later--- x2 loin pork chops with mushrooms / onions , no spuds or anything else.

No sugar in tea/ coffee.

That's the diet every day and I do a physical job 10 hrs a day and ride a bicycle sundays for 15 miles.

if you are just eating just this and doing all that physical activity could be the signs of for example a thyroid problem:whatthe: Maybe ?

My suggestion is some citrus fruit & a banana (slow release of energy for the afternoon) instead of ham at lunch time as you are not getting for example much vitamin C on that diet. Maybe take some daily multivitamin tablets anyway as that will boost and maintain vitamin & mineral levels & will help :thumb:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
[low carbs not No carbs
Height protine
High fiber
Lots of fruit
And get moving

Not rocket didgeridoo dodah s.

Simple !!!

QUOTE=joner8888;884083]I have been searching on the net about diet foods-- I haver seen so many ads, why is it such big business :whatthe:

Why are there so many conflicting ads saying one thing, then another about what is good or bad:whatthe:

I thought I would follow the NHS advice but all the reviews on there say I will probably poison myself:cry:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx

Where can I find a list of what to eat, so as to loose weight without feeling like I ought to take a nutrition degree to understand it all:Eeek:

I`m on a no carb / meat only diet now for x 2 weeks, but looks like I will suffer kidney failure from too much protein according to one site :cry:[/QUOTE]

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'n not advertising here..:winky:, but Mrs A has been a Weightwatchers leader, since she retired, and in the last year I have lost a stone without noticing.
Its all about eating properly and moving about more than you usually do. She has people in her meetings that have lost 50-60 lbs and don't seem to put it back on.
Of course, other weight loss programs are available....:whistle:
But, WW must be doing something right, Mrs A has just been asked to work with the NHS and diabetes groups to promote healthy lifestyles which includes controlled weightloss.
These faddy diets are ok if you want to lose weight, but what do you do to keep at that weight once you have achieved it?. There's no quick fix, its a lifestyle change. :beer:

Allan

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
This one worked for me but not suitable for all

Broken Link Removed

600 calories two days a week normal diet 5days a week

Just google for calories contained in what your about to eat item by item
Add it up and alter till 600 calories achieved

Just be aware not suitable for diabetics it seems
But hopefully should help stop you becoming a diabetic

I started at 98 kilos now a healthier 79.1
:thumb::RollEyes::thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I too am a huge fan of the 5:2 way of eating, it is not just about losing belly fat (although it is hugely successful at this) but the intermittent fasting is actually good for you in other ways. You can learn all on www.thefastdiet.co.uk. I have lost 16lb in the last 3 months and my metabolism is noticeably faster. I have a lot of dinner parties at weekends, 4 course meals with lots of alcohol and I never gain any weight. In fact I need to change to 6:1 now so that I don't lose any more! I also love the fact that twice a week I don't get tempted as I have all my meals planned in advance on a fasting day and don't deviate. :thumb:

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

No sugar in tea/ coffee.

Sounds like you're not eating enough which can be as bad as overheating. Why would you want to eat like that every day, food is a joy and there are so many amazing foods you could be eating. ::bigsmile:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am 6 foot 3 inches tall and hover around 17 stone plus a bit, I am considered obese by my doctor and was referred to a dietician at my local hospital (been there tonight as a matter of fact). Many of the posts in this thread contain some truths, "lifestyle change" being one of them, why is there a 5:2 diet when you can eat sensibly 7:7 (and save money). The best way to lose weight is to stop shovelling food down your throat in large quantities:Doh:.

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
As an extra thought.......... if you don't fancy the 5:2 thing that's currently so popular (and I can understand why)............

Why not try 1 RAW day a week, no dairy, meat, eggs etc.

Just raw food.

Whizz up a raw tomato sauce, make nut cheese by whizzing nuts and adding olive oil, use a very thin slicer to slice raw courgettes, add peppers or whatever else you fancy and layer. You have a totally RAW lasagne. You will be surprised........really great and nutritious, you feel the difference after eating it!

Start the day with a berry smoothie or fresh fruit or veg smoothie.

Snack on crudités and whizzed up chick peas, olive oil for hummous.

1 day a week isn't hard, but may make a difference in getting you to think about what food is actually "good" for you, (when we are bombarded daily with a load of diet nonsense) and your body will benefit. Without any of the additives or trying to diet, a few weeks of 1 day raw a week, I am sure you will lose weight and feel more energised too!

It's hard to follow continuously, I tried, and as wonderful "through the roof energy" as it made me feel, we are all so used to our own comfort foods that we love and enjoy, 1 day a week seems more sensible. You get the benefits with the enjoyment of cooked too!

It's a thought anyway!:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

No sugar in tea/ coffee.

IMPOSSIBLE. what are you eating between meals? No one came out of BELSEN fat.:ROFLMAO:BUSBY.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Sounds like you're not eating enough which can be as bad as overheating. Why would you want to eat like that every day, food is a joy and there are so many amazing foods you could be eating. ::bigsmile:

I`m desperate to try anything , even starving but she wont let me so, looks like the 5:2 diet for me , seems to work on here:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just write down everything you eat, daily. You will soon see that what you think you are eating is not the same as what you are actually eating. Plus, it makes you think about your diet.
We plan all our meals weekly, even when we are away in the van. Sounds boring, but you don't find yourself scrabbling around for food at the last minute and eating rubbish. Amnd you look forward to every meal.
Allan

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't bother with diet foods or diets. Eat less and exercise more - lose weight and save money.

Rgds
Bill

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
jonner888

You are not eating enough, if you don`t eat enough your body goes into starvation mode. A friend was told this when she went to Slimming World, she had to eat more by the next time that she went back.

Fad diets are no good to anyone, because as soon as you go back to your eating normally you put more weight on than you did before.

My husband weighs the same now as he did at 21.we eat sensibly, no junk food no takeaways ever, just plain home cooked food, from scratch, secret is eat little and often, he has to eat every four hours at home or away, We grow our own veg, fruit and buy meat from a good butchers not supermarket, he doesn`t have a lot of meat now, his choice, I have never eaten meat. we also don`t like "foreign food " good plain english food. he bakes lovely scones, fruit cakes, has made the Christmas cake this year, I usually do. At least we know what is in our food.

Processed food is full of sugar and fat, if you buy low fat for instance, they put more sugar in, there is a surplus of sugar, and they have to use it somewhere. Just check it out for yourselves if interested.Moderation in all things, eat proper food in smaller amounts, and don`t eat inbetween meals, and quicken up when moving about, you will lose weight.without spending a fortune on fad foods.Good luck to all who want to lose weight, you know you can do it, be positive.:thumb:

Diddly

Free Member
Nov 15, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
5:2 low carb eating plan

duplicate post. Sorry

Last edited:

Diddly

Free Member
Nov 15, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
5:2 low carb eating plan

Don't confuse this with other 5:2 diets. This has been recently trialled by British doctors on 10,000 people and the NHS is coming round to it (it can take the Brits a while to accept anything new). Dr Michael Moseley (British doc) has been involved with it.

Just Google it. There's lots to eat with plenty of meat and veg. Usually people don't feel hungry on it.

It's about eating low carb for 5 days. On the next 2 days eat very low carb, then start again. This takes off belly fat and internal (viceral) fat, which is a killer as it chokes the vital organs. You don't lose lean muscle which you do on low cal/starvation type diets. That's why it goes back on so fast but as fat.

It's not about being low fat but you have to eat 'good fats' mostly. Sugar is restricted because it quickly turns to fat and some fruits (like bananas) are restricted because they're higher carb. Carbs are like sugar and turn to fat easily.

Carbs eaten must be 'whole grain' so you get fibre with them. This means there's less carb in them.

Looking at what you say you're eating, either you're drinking or eating other things, you're not eating enough or you should visit your doctor and tell him/her what you're eating but not losing too. It may be a thyroid problem.

Why not try the 5:2 low carb plan first.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
atkins diet worked for me it was easy .......mind you as soon as I come off it slowly put weight back on:Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Can I say something about LOW FAT stuff. It often has added carbohydrate to replace the fat in the form of evil gunk like maltodextrin and so forth.

And eating more carbs is the one sure thing that will put fat all round your internal organs and make you T2 diabetic in the blink of an eye.

But having diabetes can also actually MAKE you fat without eating anything. It's called Insulinaemia. If your body builds up insulin resistance, this means you have to produce more and more and more insulin to do the same job. And what insulin does (yes, the stuff you produce naturally and I don't LOL or the manufactured sort I inject or wherever the body gets insulin from!) is lay down FAT. Body fat and organ fat, which is the really really bad fat that causes huge problems.

If you reduce carbs not only will you stop that vicious circle or avoid it happening in the first place - it will also improve too high Cholesterol levels (by which I mean reduce) any too high LDL level you have. And exercise will increase your HDL level which is also really good for you! Win Win situation.

You need everything in your diet, fish, fowl, good red meat, fats (animal and vegetable) every type of veg esp green leafy, and some fruit - but just nothing at all in excess. and everything in moderation ! And some extra exercise - if you want to lose weight - because OK you may have a manual job but your body is used to that, so doing that doesn't 'count' as exercise, it's just 'normal'.

You don't actually need any carbohydrate at all if you don't want to eat it. The body was never designed to eat grains really, especially wheat and you body can make glucose out of both protein and fats - it just has to work harder than it does converting carbs to glucose - but that's no bad thing at all when you have weight to lose because it increases your metabolism!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
..why is there a 5:2 diet when you can eat sensibly 7:7 (and save money).

Because any 7:7 diet requires willpower, not just to cut back on how much you eat but also, with many diets, having to miss out completely on the foods you like and almost certainly having to eliminate or at least substantially reduce your customary booze intake.

The 5:2 diet I mentioned allows you to eat and drink completely normally for five days a week and only cut down on two and those two are not consecutive days so on a fast day you only have to "suffer" the diet for 24 hours at a time which I have found not hard to do.

Of course, you are supposed to eat normally for the rest of the week and not try to compensate, but I haven't found I am hungrier after a fast day so this is not a problem.

You will only lose about a pound of fat a week on the Fast Diet so it isn't anything drastic. If you want to lose weight more quickly you can do alternate day fasting, i.e. one day on, one day off, but for me that would make life a bit too miserable. The conventional 5:2 also allows you to live a normal social life, unless you go out every night!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back