Dash cams (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Hi. Has anyone any experiences or recommendations for a dash cam. There are dash cams ranging from £30 to £300 on the market. Are the cheaper Versions any good?.Road pro have an offer on at £75, has any one reviewed this one?.
Cheers

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If the Roadpro is £75:00 thats the way to go.
Do you have a link to where that is for sale.

I have a cheap one its OK i paid €16:95 + I had to buy SD card it does its job but no g force sensor.

Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think i was a bit slow

Thinking of Roadhawk not Roadpro

Mel

OP
OP
T
Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all for your prompt responses. The Vcam hd for £30 looks too good to be true. can you read numberplates on it from a reasonable distance. eg the car in front at traffic lights or on a slow mooving road?

cheers

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got mine from eBay .. It was about £20 or so .. Been working perfectly for the past 2 years..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi. Has anyone any experiences or recommendations for a dash cam. There are dash cams ranging from £30 to £300 on the market. Are the cheaper Versions any good?.Road pro have an offer on at £75, has any one reviewed this one?.
Cheers

If you want the best the way to go is it a GO PRO or the Drift Ghost both Hd I use the drift for the bike as well as the car and is remote control the picture quality is fantastic it's also waterproof to 3m the Go Pro is used by all tv stations for outside action films

Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a camera [ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261159649707&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]like this one[/ame] earlier this year. It is fine for the van because it can be mounted on a plastic sheet clipped into the dash clipboard, together with the sat nav. Mounted like that it is well out of the way of the windscreen.

I've tried it in the car on a bean bag type mount but it is fairly bulky and obtrusive so I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use. I don't want something mounted on the windscreen with a requirement to route a lead round the windscreen to the power socket (always assuming that the lead is long enough in the first place).

Any tips?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I bought this one from Ebay for the car, great picture and sits between rear view mirror and windscreen. Cable loads long enough to go to ciggy socket. It has been on the windscreen for 4 months no bother, it can hardly be seen from outside.

Link Removed

It does not have GPS, reason being, what if your just slightly over the speed limit when the idiot crashes into you ? Police grab your in-car cam and can see that suddenly there are two guilty people. Also, I disabled it's built in sound recorder, reason being, you might be mentioning out loud the ethenticity of the lunatic who is about to hit you and if that was played in Court, you might find yourself cast as a racist !!

It cost £75 from China and £21 for an sd card to give 5 hours recording.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Geordies camera looks like a DR 32 reviewed by Techmoan - [ame]http://youtu.be/P-dfvPX0dOs[/ame]

I've got one and they are very easy to set up and use.

There are cheaper and dearer cameras but for a mid range HD camera you won't go far wrong with one of these.

Showing how good or bad the video quality is can be very difficult when clips are posted on Youtube as they alter the settings to give an inferior quality picture, 720p instead of the original 1080p, but the DR 32 clips played full screen on my PC are brilliant.

:france::france::france:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have the Roadhawk HD, bit pricier than some, but picture quality is first rate and of course it has gps. Not bothered about the camera recording my speed, I only dawdle anyway, sound is also turned off.
Allan

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Nice it of kit
I have similar with full gps real time log with mph A must to prove who did what in an accident

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I've never appreciated the need to record who I may run into. Surely it would be better if it recorded who ran into you? Therefore rear-facing recorders would be more likely to be useful.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If someone runs into the back of you, its invariably their fault. You just need to get their reg number, which will probably be on the front number plate embedded in the back of your van!

There are so many scams about by people trying to get your money one way or another. Crash for cash, people jumping on your bonnet while on a crossing and trying to blame you for hitting them. People driving towards you on your side of the road and swiping the side of your van, etc... A dash cam catches them all.
Of course, if its your fault, hide the cam and pray the other driver doesn't have one....

Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]I have the Roadhawk HD[/HI], bit pricier than some, but picture quality is first rate and of course it has gps. Not bothered about the camera recording my speed, I only dawdle anyway, sound is also turned off.
Allan

I Googled "dash cameras" earlier this afternoon and it came up with Roadhawk at the top but I can only find instructions against their three offerings for windscreen mounting, not dash mounting. As mentioned earlier, I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use.

I've e-mailed Roadhawk to ask if dash mounting is possible but haven't had a reply yet. Do you know if dash mounting as I require is possible?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a camera Link Removed earlier this year. It is fine for the van because it can be mounted on a plastic sheet clipped into the dash clipboard, together with the sat nav. Mounted like that it is well out of the way of the windscreen.

I've tried it in the car on a bean bag type mount but it is fairly bulky and obtrusive so I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use. I don't want something mounted on the windscreen with a requirement to route a lead round the windscreen to the power socket (always assuming that the lead is long enough in the first place).

Any tips?

easy Graham.......mount the camera at the bottom of the screen and lay the lead over the dash...front to back.

comes with 5 meters of cable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I Googled "dash cameras" earlier this afternoon and it came up with Roadhawk at the top but I can only find instructions against their three offerings for windscreen mounting, not dash mounting. As mentioned earlier, I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use.

I've e-mailed Roadhawk to ask if dash mounting is possible but haven't had a reply yet. Do you know if dash mounting as I require is possible?

looking at this picture i doubt it without the video being upside down.

41MnuHuN49L.jpg

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this is what i use and its fixed to my sat nav bracket behind the sat nav, perm wired.

great quality picture day and night, not expensive, great software for play back.:thumb:

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 43

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Thanks all for your prompt responses. The Vcam hd for £30 looks too good to be true. can you read numberplates on it from a reasonable distance. eg the car in front at traffic lights or on a slow mooving road?

cheers
Bought a "cheapy", £45.00. This has been mentioned before and I can confirm that with the one I bought; number plates can be read clearly at a closing speed of 100mph. Can't find the picture now but in a post somewhere.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
easy Graham.......mount the camera at the bottom of the screen and lay the lead over the dash...front to back.

comes with 5 meters of cable.
I wish that were possible John but the windscreen mounts I've seen tend to be bigger than the camera itself so cause an obstruction wherever they are on the screen unless they can be fitted behind the rear view mirror - which means leading cable all over the place.

My sat nav can be mounted on the heater/vent grill where it is not in the way of anything else. Surely some company must have come up with a more practical solution for cameras haven't they?

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I wish that were possible John but the windscreen mounts I've seen tend to be bigger than the camera itself so cause an obstruction wherever they are on the screen unless they can be fitted behind the rear view mirror - which means leading cable all over the place.

My sat nav can be mounted on the heater/vent grill where it is not in the way of anything else. Surely some company must have come up with a more practical solution for cameras haven't they?

I have run a cheap Chinese camera behind my rear view mirror on my car for the past 12 months or so. I only download the footage if I've been somewhere with someone else or on a track day and it is adequate for what I want. I got the cable routed into the roof lining by http://www.mobileinstallationservices.co.uk who just so happen to be at the top of Trimdon Avenue and I can certainly recommend Duncan. I am looking to fit one in the motorhome before next summer and after I've found one (check out techmoan on youtube) and I'll mount it high up where the rear view mirror used to be and get the cable routed back to the an ignition supply (most of these things startup on ignition supply and shutdown when turned off).

This is an example of the sort of footage you can get off a cheap camera - pay more and get better quality ! But it's certainly good enough to prove who drove into who !
[ame]http://youtu.be/IT5PnG1JWvc[/ame]

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I have a couple of self adhesive mounting pads that came with my Garmin Satnav. I stuck one on the dashboard and if I use the suction mount available from Roadhawk, I can stick the cam on the pad on the dash. Of course, it will be upside down, but you should be able to rotate the video on playback.
I think halfords do the stick on mounts.
I stuck my Satnav on the mount but it tended to shake a lot. On the windscreen it doesn't.
Most dash cams have quite a wide angle lens and need to be very close to the windscreen to get a good view of the road ahead. You really need it to see right in front of the vehicle and mounting high up on the screen allows you to do this. The dash vibrates a bit and it might affect the image quality too.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Tim & Allan.

I'd never heard of MIS but I'll keep a note of them. I don't want to go routing cable round a new car though.

Interesting about vibration. I've used the cheap camera I bought for the van on a bean bag type mount on the dash in our previous car (but it is too big and gets in the way) and it is mounted in the van on a rigid plastic sheet held in the dash clipboard. I've not experienced vibration problems in either case and the cheap camera can be clipped into its mount either way so it is always the right way up.

That is what led me to think it should be possible to mount a camera on the dash somehow - specially as they are described as "dash cameras" not "windscreen cameras" :Smile:

I'll go up to Halfords this morning and see what they can tell me.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

I have a couple of cheap cameras from china about £15 each I think, and the image can be rotated so if you dash mount them video still right way up.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I see the intended use of dash cams, but is the info / image recorded fully acceptable as evidence in a court?

Police cameras need to be regularly calibrated for recorded data to be acceptable.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers

We bought one from amazon a few weeks ago. It was around £15. The memory card cost more. It's a great piece of kit good clear pictures and video. Cycled recording, usb interface etc. We couldn't understand how they could sell for this but it does exactly what it says and we are very pleased.

Ginny

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Not sure if it is acceptable in a court of law or not but if someone tries to scam you at least you have some form of avidence to show your insurance company. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back