LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Refitted the battery after charging and when I started the engine the warning light for water in the fuel filter came on. There isn't much diesel in the tank at the moment (yellow light lit ) . Does anyone know where the fuel filter is and is it easy to drain? Fiat ducato x250 160 Autotrail Scout.
Or would draining the fuel tank be neccesary?

Cheers Ray

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There should be a tap at the bottom of the filter for draining water off. Its not a good idea to allow the tank to run almost dry. Diesel is a dirty fuel and that's why there is a fuel filter in line. When the fuel level in the tank is low there is more chance of condensation and condensation makes water.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
under the bonnet right hand side at the top, but careful on taking it apart they have a reputation for leaking afterwards.

you may be able to remove it from the filter by removing the pipes and sucking through. then top the tank up it cant be a lot of water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There should be a tap at the bottom of the filter for draining water off. Its not a good idea to allow the tank to run almost dry. Diesel is a dirty fuel and that's why there is a fuel filter in line. W[HI]hen the fuel level in the tank is low there is more chance of condensation and condensation makes water.[/HI]

spot on thats what we had drummed into us in the arctic.....:Sad:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
After you have drained the fuel filter the warning light may stay on for some time. The sensor in the bottom of the filter can still retain some moisture for a while.

OP
OP
raysalaugh

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Water in the fuel filter

I filled the tank to the brim in Dunkerque but when I arrived back home it had all disappeared, I have looked under the bonnet and to the right rear is what I think is the fuel filter, attached to the bottom is a plug with wires .
Also on the side is a white screw plug.

Ray

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I filled the tank to the brim in Dunkerque but when I arrived back home it had all disappeared, I have looked under the bonnet and to the right rear is what I think is the fuel filter, attached to the bottom is a plug with wires .
Also on the side is a white screw plug.

Ray
It will do that if you drive it, it's a shame I know but it happens to all of us.:cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
WHAT......It all disappeared between Dunkirk and Blackburn. You must have a leak :ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A bit of water in diesel is normal, just drain it off at the filter as required.

Its normally one of the last jobs I do prior to our annual ski trip to avoid problems.::bigsmile:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
On my peugeot filter, i have to unscrew the white drain plug on the side of the filter,just enough to let the water run out, then pump the prime(black) button on the top of the filter housing,until all water has been flushed out. :thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not a lover of the new fuel filters with water traps in the base as you cannot see if there is water or sediment in there. All my diesel engined vehicles have these fitted as an aftermarket pre filter. I can see into the glass bowl and empty any crap or water out before it reaches the expensive fuel filter. By fitting one of these I can extend fuel filter changes by double the normal mileage and have never suffered a blocked filter yet. Link Removed

OP
OP
raysalaugh

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
water in the fuel filter

Drained the fuel filter and put more diesel in the tank,started the engine and the warning light went out.
Now got a bad leak from the fuel filter housing were it screws together, I haven't touched this, only the white drain screw.
I have tried to unscrew the top now but it's really tight.
Whats gone wrong? Any ideas please?:cry:

Ray

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
apparently there is a very "temperamental " seal on the top and even dealers have trouble sealing it because of its location.

not sure of the remedy other than a new seal and if possible remove the filter unit so it makes it easier to fit it squarely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back