Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have 2 x 6 volt batteries wired positive to negative giving me 12 volts.

Now the vehicle no longer has power to it all the time and my leisure batteries wont take a charge so are the batteries dead?

Is there a voltage where you can tell the batteries are kaput?

They are reading 7.3 volts:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
long slow charge and check the electrolyte levels but from voltage suspect they are dead. tough luck. More damned expence.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
hi john,

may be worth investing in a small solar panel for when you are in storage just to trickle charge.

Yupp was thinking of the maplin 13 amp siutcase one @ ÂŁ49 would that be enough?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Yupp was thinking of the maplin 13 amp suitcase one @ ÂŁ49 would that be enough?
I think you meant 13 Watt, if its 13 amp for that price we all want a couple.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have a couple of maplin 4.8w trickle charging my leisure batteries, the are kept well topped up without overcharging. about to add 36W for leisure and use the two smaller ones for keeping the engine and third leisure (laptop) battery charged. These fit flat on the roof. A suitcase is sufficient power but can you leave it safely secured all the time

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I think you meant 13 Watt, if its 13 amp for that price we all want a couple.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have a couple of maplin 4.8w trickle charging my leisure batteries, the are kept well topped up without overcharging. about to add 36W for leisure and use the two smaller ones for keeping the engine and third leisure (laptop) battery charged. These fit flat on the roof. A suitcase is sufficient power but can you leave it safely secured all the time

I did mean Watt (its no my speciality electrical stuff that is:winky:)

But i will remove it when travelling and where the bus is parked feel happy about leaving it there.

I have a lafuma chair that cost twice the panels price and leave it out on campsites (funny how we suddenly trust the world with expencive accessories outside when were camping isn't it?:winky:)

Thanks for the advice BTW:thumb:

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Batteries

Hi

silly question but is the 7.5 volts across TWO batteries or ONE?

If across 2 they Yup probably dead. but 7.5 across 1 is a fully charged battery (in fact overcharged), any thing below about 12.5Volts on a standing 12V battery is below parr. so 6.2 (say) on a 6V would suggest it might be recoverable.

I must look at solar charging seriously, as we may lose our hookup if the house sells and we have to store the r-v. (or better still live in it fulltime!!!)

pete

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi

silly question but is the 7.5 volts across TWO batteries or ONE?

If across 2 they Yup probably dead. but 7.5 across 1 is a fully charged battery (in fact overcharged), any thing below about 12.5Volts on a standing 12V battery is below parr. so 6.2 (say) on a 6V would suggest it might be recoverable.

I must look at solar charging seriously, as we may lose our hookup if the house sells and we have to store the r-v. (or better still live in it fulltime!!!)

pete
Maplins have been clearing solar panels at half price, too good to miss check out what they currently have. Stores are different stock options to the online dept so look around. Good luck, bargains to be had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back