Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Does anyone know why the sink/drainer covers on my '06 Scout have an aluminium rail on the underside of the straight edge. I can't believe that Auto Trail put them there for nothing. I've tried to attach a picture.

Attachments

• 20130914_173749.jpg
    20130914_173749.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 296
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Looks like its to clip onto something maybe to secure it when travelling/storing?

When I was looking round motorhomes for sale recently I see similar types of fittings on the end of the dining table which would clip onto the wall.

:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Have you got the opposite side to that clip on the outside... ?

I have seen a similar set up so you can clip a table to the outside of a Motorhome... :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As has been said already looks like its for something to slip into, have you got a bit of work top that covers the sink when not in use might it store here.

OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Clip onto.... what?

I'd assumed that they were to clip onto something...... but what?

They don't seem to want to clip to each other, and I can't find any obvious clip/rail inside or outside the van for them to clip to. I've checked the walls, the units and the sides and undersides of the two tables supplied with the van but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious.

Simon

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I'd assumed that they were to clip onto something...... but what?

They don't seem to want to clip to each other, and I can't find any obvious clip/rail inside or outside the van for them to clip to. I've checked the walls, the units and the sides and undersides of the two tables supplied with the van but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious.

Simon

I`m running out of idea`s now...:Sad:

Last one... Is there any signs of screws near or under a worktop... ?

Perhaps it`s to be used as an extension to the kitchen/worktop area...

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
A friend showed us round their MH the same make,last week, she says she doesn`t know where the work tops fit although they have the strips on they cover the sink but obviously fit /hook somewhere else, but where ? so I was intersted in this thread to see if someone could say and I could pass it on, guess not. :Doh:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Lucky for you I have a bachelors degree in aluminium rails as it happens!!

If you look on the unit on the left as you go in the door there is a rail mounted on it that the sink cover clips into.

Gives the wife more workspace when creating one of her gourmet beans on toast in the kitchen!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Ooh that feels good.....

I've already more than got my subscription back.... now I'm definitely moving into owing MHF more money!

Simon
:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
as per other replies, there SHOULD be a rail somewhere to fit to a wall for the cover to lock onto, it may have been fitted somewhere or still in a locker if it hasn't, mines still under the back bed ( I think)

Places I have seen them fitted in scouts/apache's

1: the side of the cooker (over door entry)
2: above sink wall over the tap (behind passagner seat)
3: rear lounge wall (on wall the other side of the loo)

Im sure autotail will have one if your desparate

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Rail Fitting

Hi, Spenders on my van I found an aluminium rail in the cupboard under the seat it was stuck between the carpet and the wooden frame I only found it by accident it was about 3 feet long and pre drilled it took me a while to figure out what it was for as you have now twigged:Smile: its for the lids off the sink to clip into ,you put the rail where it suits you best ours is an extension to the sink area and works well by the way how did you get on with your tv as at the lincoln show last year you were having problems with your new van
and understanding the mysteries of it :winky:dont we all .regards mike and tina

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Boo Hoo !!!!

Nothing like that on mine !...:cry: Just the 2 semicircles that fit over the sink and drainer ! very useful when I fire up the slow cooker !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Lucky for you I have a bachelors degree in aluminium rails as it happens!!

If you look on the unit on the left as you go in the door there is a rail mounted on it that the sink cover clips into.

Gives the wife more workspace when creating one of her gourmet beans on toast in the kitchen!!

I have exactly the same sink covers and no corresponding rail to fit into. I asked the dealer (Marquis) what the rails were for and was told that they used to fit on receiving rails but they were discontinued as "they kept falling off" This may have just been an excuse because they didn't seem too sure.
I will be watching this thread with interest :winky:

OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
The mystery continues.....

I've noted the replies so far, and thank you all for your contributions.

I've looked in all the places I can think of and followed the suggestions, but can't find any rails or similar that might play a part in retaining the sink covers.

Simon

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Just had to go into our MH to see what our sink cover was like. It's hinged at the back and middle and folds neatly against the back of the sink.
They must have changed the later models to something less user friendly

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi,
I eventually contacted Auto Trail regarding this problem and below is the reply I received

I can only assume they don't fit them anymore :Angry:

Hi,

When the vehicle was supplied to the dealer there would have been the mating part to this rail. The idea was the mating part could be fixed somewhere in the van so the flap could be used as shelf or extra worktop. If the original owner did not have this fitted I would guess it would have been thrown away. I am sorry but we can no longer supply this part.

Regards

Steve Moverley
Development Manager

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
I eventually contacted Auto Trail regarding this problem and below is the reply I received

I can only assume they don't fit them anymore :Angry:

Hi,

When the vehicle was supplied to the dealer there would have been the mating part to this rail. The idea was the mating part could be fixed somewhere in the van so the flap could be used as shelf or extra worktop. If the original owner did not have this fitted I would guess it would have been thrown away. I am sorry but we can no longer supply this part.

Regards

Steve Moverley
Development Manager
I had the same answer when I rung Autotrail, no longer available.:Sad:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Lies and cover up.

It's an aerial for communicating your whereabouts to grey space aliens. If you're parked up one night and a bright blue beam of light descends from above, RUN.

Bugger - my wife's just used my tinfoil hat for the roast beef.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Lies and cover up.

It's an aerial for communicating your whereabouts to grey space aliens. If you're parked up one night and a bright blue beam of light descends from above, RUN.

Bugger - my wife's just used my tinfoil hat for the roast beef.
That's not Aliens it's Doggers.....read my other post on the subject and all will become clear :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back