Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We installed the gaslow system (2 11kg Cylinders) and the gauges have never worked. i would like to know how much gas we have in the cylinders but cant find a good accurate method of checking. I looked at the Dometic pen type tester, to be honest wasnt impressed at all. Is the good old pick it up and give it a shake still the best method of checking.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I share your pain....

I have a refillable system and the gauge seems to show full all the time, or I use very little gas!

Is it a big problem though? If in doubt, just fill up before you go and then you're sure you've got a full bottle! On a standard bottle you don't have a gauge so could only geusstimate from weight or feel when shaking the bottle, but you wouldn't be able to refill.

Simon

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
gaslow gauges

Hi, we have 2 x 11kg gas low bottles too and I never rely on the gauges as they seem to show nearly full for ages even during heavy use then empty but still with some in! So now as soon as one is definitely empty I make sure I fill up asap. Crude but effective!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We installed the gaslow system (2 11kg Cylinders) and the gauges have never worked. i would like to know how much gas we have in the cylinders but cant find a good accurate method of checking. I looked at the Dometic pen type tester, to be honest wasnt impressed at all. Is the good old pick it up and give it a shake still the best method of checking.

I have the same setup. 2 x 11kg bottles. Both gauges showed full when we picked the camper up and one of the gauges did show use and we topped up accordingly. The gauge still registered at the bottom end of the green after we topped up. I gave it a little tap or three and it has gone up to register full.

I won't completely rely on the accuracy of these gauges though. The Calor ones were the same for me when we used them. They showed full one minute, completely empty the next.

I will have an idea of how juch gas I've used and fill up accordingly.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have Alugas.

The gauges read full until they are half empty, and then it goes down from there. All right when you know, otherwise you might think you were 3/4 full when you are actually less than half full. The design apparently causes this effect so they are all the same.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Gas low

We had the system fitted by Van Bitz last month, we got 10% off all the parts/equipment cos we are Motorhome fun members, really pleased about that. Any way the man said we are not to worry if the gauge doesn't register full straight away, we can jig or tap the bottles to make it register, or leave it, cos as we drive about and the van corners etc. the gauges will start to work.

Just found out there's a garage near Truro selling LPG at 68p a litre, the garage is Newalls. Looks like it will be much cheaper than buying the refilled 3.9 kg bottles.

We had to pay a £20 deposit on each bottle, but when I took them back for a deposit refund he offered £5 per bottle. I declined I'd rather give them away. If anyones interested I live in Cornwall near St. Agnes.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have Alugas.

The gauges read full until they are half empty, and then it goes down from there. All right when you know, otherwise you might think you were 3/4 full when you are actually less than half full. The design apparently causes this effect so they are all the same.

We have the same had it for 2 years now no problem even works well in the Alps during winter. Stays on full until half used then drops gradually into the red.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We got Gas-lo, or what ever they are called...

We went on our trip round wales full up, day after arriving at Jim`s site, they both showed empty on the gauges...

Panic.. :Eeek::Sad:..... Ambilkate lent us a full spare bottle.... still not run out on the gas - lo ones... and had the central heating on auto at 10 deg since we have been home and still not run out... cant be far of it...

Gauges aint worth a light.... :Blush:

Anybody want to buy a full propane bottle "Cheap"... :winky:::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
As at says in the instructions, the Gaslow gauge reads full until the bottle is half empty (or is that half full?), it then progressively drops until there is about quarter left.
We have done a whole summer weekend with an 'empty' 11kg Gaslow bottle!

What is it about us blokes and instructions?!::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We got Gas-lo, or what ever they are called...

We went on our trip round wales full up, day after arriving at Jim`s site, they both showed empty on the gauges...

Panic.. :Eeek::Sad:..... Ambilkate lent us a full spare bottle.... still not run out on the gas - lo ones... and had the central heating on auto at 10 deg since we have been home and still not run out... cant be far of it...

Gauges aint worth a light.... :Blush:

Anybody want to buy a full propane bottle "Cheap"... :winky::BigGrin:

Bring it round and I'll give you a fiver for it..:thumb:

Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
We have a Gas It system fitted to our van. A 20 litre underfloor tank with a contents gauge fitted to the dash. It has 9 led's, 8 green, one red for low warning. It seems very accurate, as soon as the red LED lights, I know I have 2 litres of gas left, time for a fill up of 18 litres.
The only downside is that the gauge only registers when the engine is running.
Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In colder weather just look for where the condensation is forming on the outside of the gas bottle - that's where the (colder) liquid gas has settled inside. Alternatively you can feel the side of the cylinder.

The gauges are useless - I've had one showing empty when it's half full.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same as above with the Gaslow gauges.
Why can't they make a gauge that actually works?
We have just one 6k Gaslow and a back up butane. dumpy so would like to know when it's nearly empty to plan to be near a garage to fill up if nearly empty.
Make me think less of running out of gas and more time enjoying our holiday!
Less garages here in the Algarve and even less in spain when we travel back home than
in the UK by the look of it.

OP
OP
T

Tony0851

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
i agree the gauges are useless you can take both gauges completely off the cylinders and they are still say full.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as learnt years ago on old calor bottles, a few light taps with a spanner moving up the side of the cylinder will tell you the level of the liquid. you need sensitive hearing though so not always ideal for everyone

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Gas It system fitted to our van. A 20 litre underfloor tank with a contents gauge fitted to the dash. It has 9 led's, 8 green, one red for low warning. It seems very accurate, as soon as the red LED lights, I know I have 2 litres of gas left, time for a fill up of 18 litres.
The only downside is that the gauge only registers when the engine is running.
Allan

I got our tank from them too-they were FES Autogas at that time.
I didn't get the in-vehicle guage at the time,so ,currently have to crawl under van to read guage ::bigsmile:

I'm thinking of getting the guage now-as far as I can see,the only reason you have to have engine running is because of where they've taken a 12v supply from-is that correct ??

Mike

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I got our tank from them too-they were FES Autogas at that time.
I didn't get the in-vehicle guage at the time,so ,currently have to crawl under van to read guage ::bigsmile:

I'm thinking of getting the guage now-as far as I can see,the only reason you have to have engine running is because of where they've taken a 12v supply from-is that correct ??

Mike

I guess thats right, it was fitted from new so wired like that from the factory, If I had fitted it, I think I would have wired it in via a switch, but, we drive daily so I see the state of the tank regularly, and after a while, you get to know your gas consumption.

Allan

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
we also have gaslow and our gauges are useless, I have 1 bottle turned on and 1 turned off when 1 runs out i turn the other on then fill the empty one up asap, it's worked for us since 2008 !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back