Swift Sundance safety recall. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Just had a letter from Swift informing me of a safety recall of our 2013 582PR model.
Apparently some floor bolts may be missing from the underside of the vehicle:whatthe:.

They say they will send out an engineer to do a check and fit any bolts if required. I can't imagine it only refers to our particular vehicle but as I've not seen mention of this elsewhere it does seem like it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
[FONT=&quot]07 Nov 2013:- Dealer Bulletin – November 2013 [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
Through routine testing and checks we have identified that there may be some floor bolts missing from coachbuilt motorhomes produced for the 2014 model year. We have therefore recently started to carry out further checks in the field and based on our findings we have decided to recall all 2014 and 2013 built motorhomes. It is unlikely that the 2013 motorhomes will be affected but we found it prudent to check for completeness and in the interests of the safety of our customers. We have now launched a pro-active safety recall which is being monitored by VOSA and we will be regularly updating them on the progress. Over the next few weeks two engineers from The Swift Group will come and visit your site to check all motorhomes you have and carry out any rework where required.etc etc

Peter
[/FONT]

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I assume they would be noticed as missing on the pdi?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"Hello Peter, you remember that Swift motor home you sold me, well I set off for Spain in it and going up a steep hill it turned into a Ducato convertible. I'm cold, which switch do I press to get the roof back ?"

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Good grief.

However good a PDI is I would not really expect it to be that detailed, I mean you'd expect Swift or any other converter to be able to attach a body to a chassis, wouldn't you?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good grief.

However good a PDI is I would not really expect it to be that detailed, I mean you'd expect Swift or any other converter to be able to attach a body to a chassis, wouldn't you?

Are they checked on a hab service? I bet they aren't looked at on a base vehicle service!

I know ours are there! I look after our van myself and like to think I do a good job, leaving no 'grey' areas!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I just live in hope that motorhome builders never go into boat or aircraft building

They don't do they???

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
[FONT=&quot]
It is unlikely that the 2013 motorhomes will be affected
It didn't mention that in my letter. I would be surprised if a dealer PDI would include checking for things like that, but then again I'm frequently surprised!

I wonder how they discovered that some bolts were missing, I hope no-one came to grief because of it.
[/FONT]

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Here is a picture of the quality control department
Broken Link Removed

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
[FONT=&quot]It didn't mention that in my letter. I would be surprised if a dealer PDI would include checking for things like that, but then again I'm frequently surprised!

[HI]I wonder how they discovered that some bolts were missing, I hope no-one came to grief because of it.[/HI]
[/FONT]

when the stores did a stock take and asked why they had a few 1000 bolts never used.:Doh:

i would not expect pdi to go to that level, but end of line inspection will have critical checks / points sign off... i would have thought this would have been one such point.:Eeek:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Personally I would expect the bolts holding the body to a chassis to be checked at pdi and every service thereafter as a safety check, I very much doubt if swift discovered the problem themselves especially after my experiences with a swift group caravan a few years back, I wouldn't trust them to strike a match let alone join two bits of matchwood together.

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Sundance recall

Talk about driving on the seat of your pants!! Just got a letter from Swift also for my 2013 Sundance. Makes you wonder if they operate a quality Control when these things have been built. At least they are going to send an Engineer to our home address and it won't cost me a few Litres of Diesel to take it to the dealers. It is only about 2 months since we had a recall about possible water ingress in all the windows.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If they are visiting peoples homes :whatthe: just how likely is the body to fall off

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Talk about driving on the seat of your pants!! Just got a letter from Swift also for my 2013 Sundance. Makes you wonder if they operate a quality Control when these things have been built. At least they are going to send an Engineer to our home address and it won't cost me a few Litres of Diesel to take it to the dealers. It is only about 2 months since we had a recall about possible water ingress in all the windows.

We only bought our Sundance in September, obviously no mention was made of this recall to us at the time, maybe is should mention it to Swift.

This is the Swift response to my question about how the bolt problem was discovered:
"We identified the issue during our internal random process audits."

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We only bought our Sundance in September, obviously no mention was made of this recall to us at the time, maybe is should mention it to Swift.

This is the Swift response to my question about how the bolt problem was discovered:
"[HI]We identified the issue during our internal random process audits."[/[/HI]QUOTE]

LUCK

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Well sir we have some good news and some bad news

the good news is we found out where the water was coming in it was through the body bolt holes in the floor

the bad news is your body fell off on the road test 4 miles down the road

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we also had two recalls on a2013 rollerteam 746 about the bolts and rear skirt problem with dealer not paying for our fuel cost about 200 miles in total not happy very poor service botch it and scapper ray

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
These tales are enough to put anyone off buying a new motorhome or a British one anyway, but then if the Coop can hire a druggie who knows nuffin about banking to run a bank what hope do we have, perhaps he ran a motorhome company previously :helptitanic:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Personally I would expect the bolts holding the body to a chassis to be checked at pdi and every service thereafter as a safety check

Do you think your friendly neighbourhood Fiat garage gives a stuff whether your caravan body is properly attached to 'their' chassis? Where is THAT on the service schedule for a Fiat Ducato cab & chassis?

Admittedly Alan from DMS does go under em to take the wheels off to check brakes and tyre wear when he does an annual service cos I've stood there and watched his feet, LOL - or rather, his employee's feet - but I don't think checking every bolt is on the list. I daresay different makers bodies have different bolts so it may be on a generic chassis like this, there will be some 'spare' holes - or am I being ridiculous?

Similarly I shouldn't have thought it actually forms part of a habitation service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back