Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are you supposed to cover the fridge vents as the outside tempetature drops?
Do you keep them covered when in use ?
Where do you buy the covers or will cardboard do?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

"NO"...... don't cover when using...:Eeek:

They are just for keeping the elements out during lay up period...

Try not to direct a hose on them when washing.. or use the covers, but remember to take them off before flashing up... :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
depends on the type of covers you have. my understanding is that full covers are used as Old mo describes, but some covers are put in place to reduce the cold airflow over the fridge gear to prevent loss of efficiency.

quote from my handbook:

when the outdoor temp is below 8'c installthe thetford vent cover on the grills. the cover protects the fridge from excessively cold air. in no circumstance should they be used above 8'c,

hope this help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Try not to direct a hose on them when washing.. or use the covers, but remember to take them off before flashing up... :thumb:

Does this only apply to gas operation, I have thought that when on hook up and the fridge set to electric only (not auto just in case electrics fail) I would be OK for the covers to be on

Am I wrong again! :Doh:

David

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
we were told when the temp drops below 10c then put the fridge covers on, it does not impede air flow as there is enough holes to stop you gassing yorselves. My parents have a brand new van and they don thave covers at all.

This is for fridges only. Dont cover over the heating vents unless you are storing your van for a while.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a Dometic RM 5310 and the instructions very clearly state you use the covers when the ambient temperature falls below 10C - and they remain fitted when the 'fridge is being used.

Other 'fridge installations may be different but ours sits behind one of the rear doors of the campervan and closing the external vents still leaves the condensor (the black finned bit) with plenty of air around it and there are also two small vents in the floor directly below the 'fridge.

Of course, if closing the vents cuts off all air circulation then I guess you would need to remove the covers in use but then why bother to fit them at all except if you wanted to pressure wash the van? Your 'fridge at home isn't connected to the outside I suspect and works fine surrounded by normal room temperature.

You can probably buy suitable covers for your model off flea-bay. I doubt you will do any harm to the 'fridge if you don't fit covers. We didn't last weekend ('cos I forgot) and it was below 10C all the time but I guess the internal temperature could get pretty low and things might start freezing not to mention a bit cold and draughty round the back of the unit.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you need to look up the handbook on your model of appliance ( most are available somewhere on line ) mine is clear use below 8'c gas or electric not above 8'c in any circumstances.

but my covers sit inside the vent and are shaped to allow reduced air flow not to completely block off air flow.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The instruction book for our Electrolux (Dometic) fridge says that covers should be fitted when the temperature falls. I have never bothered using them (don't have any covers) and the fridge seems to work perfectly well without. I simply adjust the setting of the thermostat - turn it up when it's hot, only just on when it's very cold.

If you want a set of covers, they are available at many online and bricks & mortar accessory dealers - try John Cross!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never bothered with them even when the temp dropped to -20C.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

1. Yes - figure quoted is usually ambient temperature of 8oC or less.
2. Yes - fridge works by using heat to evaporate the refrigerant. If air is too cold, the fridge will struggle to produce enough heat to do this.
3. CAK Tanks often the cheapest source.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have em, but must admit to never using them. My beer is always cold, so the fridge must be doing what it was intended to do.

OP
OP
Lord Mac

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for the replies. I will look on-line for a set. I did not have an information book.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you must have the right ones ours are shaped so that the flue isnt covered this is the seperate area to the right of the top grill on our dometic

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)

Havn't heard that phrase since I was a junior stoker::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back