vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Why do people invest their hard earned cash in Fiat based motorhomes? People must do research before they buy a motorhome, don't they?

Every magazine you open pretty well, every forum you read, is packed with letters and comments about faults and failures of Fiat based motor homes. No just old ones mind, new ones too! Numerous transmission failures, gearboxes, judders and breakdowns. Even built in design faults like the ingress of water into the engine compartment, etc etc.

And thats without all the complaints about the indifference of Fiat dealers. A friends 2004 Hymer Exsis (Fiat based of course) has been in the dealers for more than 2 months now, why? Get this; they don't know!! Still trying to find why it won't run! They are trying parts from other vehicles they service in the hope of finding the fault!

There's plenty of options; Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Renault and more..

So can someone tell me, why do people buy FIAT?

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi,
It is beyond me why anyone would spend their money on a Fiat based product, now that they have well and truly been exposed for what they are. (Both the product and the company).
Equally disheartening to me is the fact that so many motorhomes continue to be based on their chassis. Just what are the motorhome companies thinking about.
It can only be that they make maximum profit on the initial sale due to cheap pricing by Fiat, and to hell with the consiquencies for the users.
I would like to hear from a truly creditable and switched on company such as Swift as to why they keep using this rubish. I know from other forums that they have to, and have been, bending over backwards to solve the problems caused by Fiat.
Wilbury

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
without getting in to an argument I would jut like to add my comments.

I have a fiat, I love it, Its a very good motor and the new ones are powered by the euro engine, which is basically the same unit as used in many other models you mention.
Why are there so many complaints regarding FIAT failures? I think that this is because the majority of Motorhomes are built on Fiats.

Why are the majoity of motorhomes built on fiats? Because they are so much cheaper than the other models you mention when stock. This means that the likes of me can afford a MH.

I would personaly be more concerned about ensuring the layout of my next van was right as opposed to worrying what chasis it was on. I would not care less if it was on a new fiat, ford or lada. Most new vechiles are are trouble free with the odd acception.
May I suggest you use white van man forum, ( i havent a link unfortunately) and you will see numerous issues with Merc vans, transits and others. These are rarely picked up by motorhome mags because they are not sold in such numbers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The simple truth of the matter is they are cheap,purpose made(for m/h)in design stage,and in the case of P/V conversion WIDE.They have faults but most would say the pro's outweigh the con's.Would you pay a £5-6 k permium for merc ?I am on my 3rd iveco (fiat- badged ford) and had no probs at all.Not sticking up for the P,C,F's all veicles have faults it just some are better than others.
terry

S

stagman

Deleted User
[Coming up to 30,000 miles now on my 2.8td Fiat,touch wood been very reliable no problems,off to France soon probabally do around 2-3000 miles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what i can glean from the service reciepts my 2.8 ducato has only had the 5th gear selector/synchro hub replaced which seems to be a common fault on all the sevile vans, now this has been done (in 2005)i dont expect any more problems in the transmision dept.

in my mind this is a driver induced fault due to changing gear to fast ,like you would in a car. commercial gearbox's are much more robust but you do have to change gear a lot slower and 'feel' it drop in, not just force it in. my toyota pickup struggles with second if you dont take your time.

all other reciepts are for run of the mill service stuff and MOTs.

the only other failure was the washer pump but that was due to cheap screen wash fluid and once the filter was cleaned it worked as it should.

the van is now 7 years old with 20 odd thou on the clock and runs like a good 'un.:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have owned 3 Fiat based motorhomes, one of which we put 60,000 miles on. Go to any campsite and you will see plenty of 10 year old Fiats. They just seem to go on an on. Yes i am sure there are better base vehicles, but the cheaper Fiat makes it attractive to the motorhome manufacturers. And recent problems excepted, the Fiat, at the price, does an excellent job.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

I think the figures define which ones you will see in for repair. I have no idea of the ratio but it must be something like for every 1 non fiat there will be 10 fiat based ones so there is more chance it will be a fiat in for repair.

stew

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
There's an interesting contrast on our drive:

1: Fiat-based motorhome, 1998, 79000 miles - no rust, no breakdowns, only service items required.

2: Mercedes E-Class estate, 1999, 80000 miles - rusting in several places, two broken springs, otherwise only service items required.

I suspect the truth is that there are good and bad models from every maker. My particular Merc (W210) is a known rust-bucket, the Ducato cab bodywork is in far better nick.

Can't help but feel sorry for everyone who invests so much money in a new motorhome only to face one problem after another.

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Mine's not a Fiat but a Peugeot[same thing] mpg 34.4 better than a Ford 1.6 focus bought at same time.
Drives like a car elec windows steering wheel radio/CD controls etc.
At first I was most upset re water ingress problem but after a persistant campaign with Peugeot my van now has all the covers you can get and with some Captn tolleys creeping crack cure on the scuttles centre join the most water that now get through is one drop even after washing and this is caught in the new receiver under the join.

Would I buy one again YES I think it will next year when a new model of motorhome that I want is released.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back