Truma Boiler Problem (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I think I have a problem with the Truma boiler on my RMB.

We took Udo out for the first time this weekend and switched on the boiler. I've been told it takes 30 minutes to heat up, so we removed the outside cover and waited. To cut a long story short, we tried endless times Friday night and got nothing but cold water.

So we tried again on Saturday morning after reading all the German manuals and eventually got hot water. Yippee!!

After a day doing stuff, we switched it in again and that was it. Tepid at best and nothing after even 3 hours. Nothing again this morning.

Udo has a slightly confusing control panel near the door for heating, gas tanks, lights and the boiler. We were told it's just the boiler that needs switched on. What water we did get was only available with the boiler thermostat turned to 70'C. It seemed to be working fine on handover from the dealer in Germany.

When we did get hot water, this is how the panel looked. I've no idea if all of the lights were necessary and would be surprised if they were all needed.

So, picture below of the panel, does anyone have any clues what's wrong? Element duff? I need to get this fixed, clearly, and am happy taking Udo to someone trustworthy for the repair.

d3fc3c9551e522dec4234182c29dbd9d.jpg

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Spoke to the dealer who was very helpful. On a 22 year-old MH, I expect no warranty and I'm not that upset that this has happened.

The price paid was negotiated as 'sold as seen', so I've saved a reasonable amount over the original purchase price to account for such eventualities.

But thanks for your concern. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i assume its on gas. is the boiler lighting? are you able to detect heat at the vent? is it clicking so not igniting? what type of heater is it, a wall mounted ( so you may be able to see the pilot light ) or under bed? is there a fuse in the control panel?

you say it only operates at 70' setting is the thermostat operating correctly?

theres a huge amount of variables.

you going to have to eliminate them one by one i think:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I think I have a problem with the Truma boiler on my RMB.

We took Udo out for the first time this weekend and switched on the boiler. I've been told it takes 30 minutes to heat up, so we removed the outside cover and waited. To cut a long story short, we tried endless times Friday night and got nothing but cold water.

So we tried again on Saturday morning after reading all the German manuals and eventually got hot water. Yippee!!

After a day doing stuff, we switched it in again and that was it. Tepid at best and nothing after even 3 hours. Nothing again this morning.

Udo has a slightly confusing control panel near the door for heating, gas tanks, lights and the boiler. We were told it's just the boiler that needs switched on. What water we did get was only available with the boiler thermostat turned to 70'C. It seemed to be working fine on handover from the dealer in Germany.

When we did get hot water, this is how the panel looked. I've no idea if all of the lights were necessary and would be surprised if they were all needed.

So, picture below of the panel, does anyone have any clues what's wrong? Element duff? I need to get this fixed, clearly, and am happy taking Udo to someone trustworthy for the repair.

d3fc3c9551e522dec4234182c29dbd9d.jpg

You don't say whether you were on hookup and trying to heat water on mains or on gas, this information might help. If you cn post a clear photo of the controls that shows all of them clearly (if not a series of individual shots would help) we can probably point you in the right direction.

D.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Phil, thanks. :thumb:

Gas -yes.

Boiler lights. Green light. No red to indicate boiler fire error. I know the red bulb works as that illuminated once, so I switched off and in again as per the manual.

Truma vent hot? To be fair, I didn't check when it wasn't working. Good point.

Only operating at 70'C. I assume the thermostat works correctly but the water definitely wasn't at 70'C when it was working.

The control system works fine. There's a separate control panel to isolate individual systems inside the RMB. The main panel has a water boiler on -off switch and that was working fine, hence the Truma panel showing active.

My feelings are a blown or heavily below par element. If the boiler only really worked at 70'C, then I suspect (hope!) the element wasn't at its best to start with.

Other Truma issues searched for here reveal plenty of hot water at 50'C. When mine was set at 50'C, it was cold. Set it to 70'C (max) and it was about right.

But I take your point about the thermostat. It needs looked at to be sure, but a little advance knowledge is never a bad thing. :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am sure Snowbird will have some advice when he reads this thread have you tried a PM to him?

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Dave, this is where my inexperience shows and why I'm asking. So please excuse, laugh at even, my ignorance in my following reply:

We were on EHU and the gas was on. I've no idea if the boiler works on one, the other, or both. I've assumed gas.

The photo are the controls exactly as they were when working and also exactly when failed. The RMB control panel just isolates the various other functions such as lights, pump, fans, etc and I didn't consider showing that of value.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I am sure Snowbird will have some advice when he reads this thread have you tried a PM to him?

Contacted Dave briefly yesterday and then we had hot water. Don't want to bother him unduly on his holiday. I'm sure he has better things to do. ::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Dave Newell is the man who can help really :thumb: this is one of his areas of expertice,

i was detailing some things that i would be looking for if it were my van.

good luck

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi there Bellini
My skin turned a strange shade of green when I saw the photo of your RMB,
I'd love to have one,and yours looks a real cracker,anyway re;your boiler problem as far as i can tell from your photo,the only light that needs to be
showing is the one one the far right,the one to the left of it looks like it's the
thermostat control for the water boiler when on mains,the one to the left of that looks like the temperature thermostat control for blown air heating when on gas,the next one to the left i.e.truma multivent looks like mains switch for heating on ehu,it seems to have two settings 1kw and 2kw i would
guess,can't quite make out the wording on the next three panels as the wordings are blurred on my laptop, but don't despair,I think it's purely a case of unfamiliarity,wouldn't have thought it's anything serious.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Gwyn, thanks!:thumb:

Haven't fully worked out the controls and your insight is much appreciated. :thumb:

I'm sure it'll be resolved. I've plenty of time as 'Udo' is soon off to his heated garage storage until the new year. The next trip in 2014 will be to get the boiler fixed and a few extras fitted.

If either Dave Newell or Eddie at Vanbitz would like to get in contact about an appropriate repair, I'd be very grateful.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm in the middle of a traumatic trumatic... One of the first things wrong was the fan that assists combustion.. (need 2 new elements too)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They are designed to work on either gas or electric. If hot water is required in a hurry whilst on hookup, then both can be used at the same time.
The boiler is under the fridge and is easy to get at. Are you still using the German gas bottles and 50 mil regulators, if not then that could be your problem, not enough pressure when on gas. I dont know if you are using the automatic gas changover thats fitted. I have never trusted them, as you can finish up with 2 empty bottles. Its better to switch the auto chageover off and use one bottle at a time. Have you ran the taps long enough to expel any air in the system. I did have an electric element issue with mine and changed it. They are pretty much standard, but not cheap considering they are only about the size of an electric kettle element. Are you sure you have the covers off the boiler, as the Truma heater outlet is next to it, and you have been using the diesel heating. I cant really think of anything else to help other than when I switch my boiler on gas, there is a click and away it goes. If the green light is on it should be working.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The switches from right to left.
1...Water temperature, make sure the red switch is in the on position, the dial is the water temp.
2...Water boiler for electric when on hookup, make sure the tripswitch under the wardrobe has not tripped.
3...Gas blown air heating or ventilation.
4...Blown air booster motor, half or full speed.
5...??? Possibly the electric gas off switch, if it had an LPG tank fitted at some time.
6...Truma Duomatic auto changeover switch....complete waste of time.
7...???, dont know.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks Dave. :thumb:

I'm using the single German bottle for now.

Did we run the taps? Yes. Then Clare told me we'd ran out of water on Saturday morning and I think that's where it went wrong. We filled up but didn't run the hot water until after switching on the boiler and waiting 30 minutes.

So that's probably where we cocked it up. If so, then lesson learnt.

But I come back to the water only really heating up when the thermostat was set at its highest when it was working. I can't help feeling, unless told otherwise, that it was a sign the element was on its last legs anyway.

Anyway, I'm far too incompetent to do this myself. I'd rather pay an expert to fix it and to give the system a good going over.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Dave. :thumb:

I'm using the single German bottle for now.

Did we run the taps? Yes. Then Clare told me we'd ran out of water on Saturday morning and I think that's where it went wrong. We filled up but didn't run the hot water until after switching on the boiler and waiting 30 minutes.

So that's probably where we cocked it up. If so, then lesson learnt.

But I come back to the water only really heating up when the thermostat was set at its highest when it was working. I can't help feeling, unless told otherwise, that it was a sign the element was on its last legs anyway.

Anyway, I'm far too incompetent to do this myself. I'd rather pay an expert to fix it and to give the system a good going over.

Sounds like there is the problem. Make sure the hot water is run until no more air comes out, both in the bathroom and kitchen. Then try the boiler again. You may be lucky and both electric and gas work fine after getting rid of the air.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A sensible thing to do get someone like Dave Newell to check out all your van gas and electric then you know your safe:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back