Advice on solar power please (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am a newbie and am thinking of fitting a solar panel in my 2008 Adria Coral. I have been doing some research and and have come to some tentative conclusions, but would like some advice and comments please. I am aiming to DIY fit if it is easy enough.

We are not keen wild campers but we would like to have the option of occasionally spending a night or two staying on Aires and other interesting places that may not have hook ups. Our power demands are not high. I guess a couple of hours TV and a couple of hours with 2 x 10W lights on at night, having the Truma heating on overnight sometimes, and enough power to fill a kettle and and each have a shower in the morning. We can do without mains powered appliances for the couple of nights at most we will not be on hook up.

Panel size. I have guessed that we may need a 120W panel. But maybe a 100W one will do? There seems to be a step change in price between 100 and 120W. We have plenty of room on the roof so could go for either type. Any to avoid please? Is the size OK?

Regulator. We have a Schaudt EBL226 distribution board and LT500 control panel and I would like something that will work with those so as to coordinate the power sources when we are on hook up and driving. The obvious choice is the Schaudt LR1218 which plugs in to the EBL226 and can use the display on the LT500 to show me what it is doing. This is a PWM regulator rather than an MPPT one. Does that matter for my needs? I think I would rather have a bigger panel with better integration than a smaller one with a better regulator. I don't like seeing odd aftermarket fitted display panels and I don't want to have to remember to switch things on or off when I am driving or hooking up.

Battery. At the moment I have an 85Ah Gel battery that is over 5 years old I think. It seems OK, but then I have not stretched it much to date. Is that going to be OK? If not what should I replace it with? What capacity will I need? What is best - I can't see the need for traction batteries for what I am doing can you? I have read good comments on the Bosch S5 and S6 batteries. But I am not sure I will need a Gel battery (the S6 is).

I apologise for so many questions but would welcome any help and advice you experts can give please.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Two 10W lights could easily be two ONE watt LEDS.

Schaudt do their own solar regulator.

100W good in summer but not going to do a whole lot here in winter.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
We have a 100w panel & that works fine for us in most conditions, have done 6 days with no hook up, shows charge even in cloudy weather.
That is to run the lighting which is all LED & the TV for 3 or 4 hours.
We do run the fridge, heating & cooker off gas though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would go for the LR1218 (that is what we have linked to a 130W Kyocera panel and an older EBL 99). Despite it being a PWM regulator rather than a MPPT model, I don't think you will be giving up very much additional performance on a single panel and for the usage you suggest. We have never had to hook up between the beginning of May and end of October. Typically we stay just a few nights at a time but often do not drive far enough between stops for a full recharge. The other advantage of the LR1218 is that it is a dual battery charger and connected to the EBL will also keep your starter battery fully charged when the van is stationary for extended periods - including winter.
The instructions with the LR1218 are very clear and if you need any help, Udo Lang at Schaudt speaks excellent English and will respond to any emails.
Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

Having said all that, I did not install ours myself but used a firm called Aire & Sun near Hexham. They were very good but their website seems to be out of action now.

p.s. You don't need to use gel batteries - just get decent maintenance-free ones. We have 2 x 110 Ah Elecsols and they seem fine but I believe the firm has ceased trading. Any decent brand of 'leisure' battery should be OK for your needs - Banner, Varta etc. Despite most batteries being described as 'maintenance-free' I think it is a good idea to vent them in case a cell fails towards the end of its life. That can result in gassing (hydrogen) even though the charging voltage is perhaps only 14.4V.
In my view, a second battery would be the first step (or two matched new ones in your case) before investing in a solar panel. Just remember to change the battery selector switch on the EBL if you move away from gel to standard flooded lead-acid batteries.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Solar

We have two 110 batteries and a single 80 panel. Many would say it's too small, however in the summer it provides enough for us and we regularly are "off mains" for ten days at a time. All our lights are converted to led and we don't use a TV.

Of course, in the winter there eld be greater use of lights because of the dark evening, a little heater use and in your case tv so obviously you would probably taking more out of the batteries that you are putting in.

I could have another 80 panel installed but so far we are managing fine for as long as we want in the summer, only just 2/3 days in the winter.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It always amazes me how helpful people on this forum are. 4 good replies within 10 minutes! And thanks to you all. Just some comments

Brian (hilldweller) - I think the Schaudt one is the LR1218 that I mentioned. I am thinking about getting LEDs. Probably easy with the bed reading lights and they use MR11 type connectors and are such that I could easily fit an LED downlight. But the existing downlighters are very thin - not sure what I would use for them.

Phillip (JeanLuc) - I have already emailed Udo yesterday after reading about his reputation for helping. I downloaded the instructions for the LR1218 and one of the things that I like is how easy it appears to fit it with the EBL. If I do get two batteries how should I wire them - presumably in parallel? Will the EBL still work OK with two batteries?

Simbadog - I would run the heating and cooking off gas. But I still need the 12v to blow the hot air around and work the water pump. Does that take much?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 75w Alden solar panel and 2 x 110 amp leisure batteries, we wild camp or use aires (can't remember the last time we stayed on a site!) and having done 45 days in Germany/France in May/June (including the awful 3 weeks of atrocious weather and flooding!) and a month in Ireland in August/September we never went short of power.

Before we had the solar panel we could easily last a good few days off hook-up and that was with standard bulbs in the lights (no LEDs then) and a standard TV and a video player which were power hungry.

Personally, I'd first get a couple of good 110 amp batteries and see how you get on with them as, if you do what most people do on the continent and move every 2 days, and/or use a site as you've suggested, you shouldn't have any problems with meeting your power needs just from the energy pumped into the batteries from the engine battery as you drive along.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Minx - many thanks. What make of batteries do you recommend please? Also Gel or liquid?

Is there any way of checking how much life is left in my battery please? If it was still OK I could just get another one. I know it will have to be Gel again, but can it be a different capacity and still work?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you want any help or information about Schaudt electroblok and solar panels these people are very knowledgable and helpful http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/.

If you phone or email they will give you advise without freely.

Lunarman

Thanks. I have already come across those on the web. They are selling an LR1218 on ebay

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Phillip (JeanLuc) - I have already emailed Udo yesterday after reading about his reputation for helping. I downloaded the instructions for the LR1218 and one of the things that I like is how easy it appears to fit it with the EBL. If I do get two batteries how should I wire them - presumably in parallel? Will the EBL still work OK with two batteries?

Two identical batteries should be wired in parallel. The EBL will cope perfectly well with two of around 100 Ah each - it will just take longer to charge them. If you really go for broke and fit an enormous battery bank, there is a supplementary Schaudt charger that connects to the EBL - basically a second charging module - but that is way beyond what you need (and it's expensive).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My motorhome use is different to yours so what is vital to me is not to you but I say this...

I can't see how fitting a solar panel can do you any harm and could, under certain circumstances, be very useful to have.

I have as many panels and battery capacity as my wallet, roof area and payload can stand...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is there any way of checking how much life is left in my battery please? If it was still OK I could just get another one. I know it will have to be Gel again, but can it be a different capacity and still work?

NO - absolutely not recommended! As your original battery is over five years old, don't be tempted to add another one to it. It is likely to be nearing the end of its life and it will drag down the performance of a new one. The standard recommendation is to fit two matched batteries of the same age.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
It always amazes me how helpful people on this forum are. 4 good replies within 10 minutes! And thanks to you all. Just some comments

Brian (hilldweller) - I think the Schaudt one is the LR1218 that I mentioned. I am thinking about getting LEDs. Probably easy with the bed reading lights and they use MR11 type connectors and are such that I could easily fit an LED downlight. But the existing downlighters are very thin - not sure what I would use for them.

Simbadog - I would run the heating and cooking off gas. But I still need the 12v to blow the hot air around and work the water pump. Does that take much?

Have to say, we have never used the blower, not even sure if it works when not on hookup? Hmmm, will check that!
Water pump will use almost nothing, would definitely suggest changing to LED bulbs though, makes a huge difference to power consumption.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minx - many thanks. What make of batteries do you recommend please? Also Gel or liquid?

I can't remember what we have as they are 'buried' in the bottom of a locker and I'm stuck in bed at the moment poorly trying to keep myself amused with you lot on here! ::bigsmile:

You should use your existing old battery as if it is 'faulty' it will bring a new one down with it and shorten it's life, so I say you need to get 2 new lead acid batteries of the same size from the same manufacturer. Don't bother with gel as they are expensive and offer no real benefits for a standard motorhome - they are really meant to be used with vehicles/kit that could 'turn over' and have issues, such as a boat, quad bike, motorcycle etc ... so unless you are going to loop-the-loop with your MH you wont need them! As regards what make, Varta and Banner appear to be the better ones, but others funsters will have their own views on this.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yes, sorry about that, must learn to read more than one line.

A picture of your downlighters might get you some help, opened up if poss. I have used some flat modules that give staggering light for just a pound or two. I fitted 3 as our main light and had to disconnect one because we were getting a sun tan. Similar to these....

Link Removed

You say "have to use gel again". Gel is a problem if whatever you use to charge it does not have a gel setting. Good old wet is the easy option. Look to see if your Schaudt has a gel/wet switch before deciding.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You say "have to use gel again". Gel is a problem if whatever you use to charge it does not have a gel setting. Good old wet is the easy option. Look to see if your Schaudt has a gel/wet switch before deciding.

Thanks again Brian. The Schaudt has a Gel setting which it is on at the moment. If I am going to keep the old one then I will need the same again. But the consensus so far is to get rid of it and buy two new ones, in which case I will definitely not go for Gel.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A picture of your downlighters might get you some help, opened up if poss. I have used some flat modules that give staggering light for just a pound or two. I fitted 3 as our main light and had to disconnect one because we were getting a sun tan. Similar to these....

Link Removed

Brian. They are not like that. They are swivel type downlighters with a 20W G4 halogen bulb in them. About 65mm diameter and 25mm thick. Three of them have their own switches whereas the others have remote switch. They are a bit like the low voltage downlighters I used to have in my kitchen.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But the consensus so far is to get rid of it and buy two new ones, in which case I will definitely not go for Gel.

That is the safe option.

We have a single 110Ah battery and with a little TV and LED lights manage perfectly well for 3/4 days when not too cold. Last year at Chester the weather beat us and on day 4 I ran the engine for an hour.

Since then I've fitted a 100W panel. This failed to cope in August when I tried charging two electric bikes, but this is to be expected when the two bikes have a similar capacity to the leisure battery.

This is a very difficult case, we ride when it is light and charge when it is dark(ish) so out of sync with solar. Two batteries and two solars might have coped.

Never expect the right answer, settle for a close compromise.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Maybe of use if you're fitting them yourself Broken Link Removed

Revised bracket mounting toe in, neater!
Link Removed
Link Removed
CA_07241320570987-L.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Since getting our new van in June, I have been getting things to meet our requirements. I.E. A second leisure battery and an inverter, in the spring I will add some solar capacity, so have done some research.

My conclusions are...
Panels: I will go for two 100W panels, the long type rather than the wider shorter type as these are a better fit for the spaces available on the roof of our van. The 100W version also offers more bang for your buck. Especially when the fixings are considered.

Controller: Initially I thought the dual battery type would be the best as it would charge both the leisure and the starter batteries. Its default setting would put 90% of the charge to the leisure battery but switch its focus to the starter battery when the leisure one was full. However I have never had a problem with the starter battery so I now think I will opt for a more modern MPPT type controller, as these are more efficient on poor light conditions.

Fixings: Attaching the panel by glue seem the way to go as it avoids making holes in the roof. Sikaflex are the top adhesive brand, but have a confusing product range. I asked for their advice and they recommended Sikaflix 252 as the product to use. The actual plastic end or corner mounts are a considerable costs so factor these in when doing your costings.

Good Luck, report back on what you choose and how you get on.
Gordon

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Maybe of use if you're fitting them yourself Broken Link Removed

Thanks for the link and the OP. If I fit a panel then I like the idea of the ali brackets. But that is a big "if" now (funny how things change isn't it?). In the post you linked Eddie from Vanbitz made some good points. So I may well just get a couple of new batteries and see how it goes.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Gordon. Thanks for that. As I said in last post, I may not get the panel at the moment and just see what two decent batteries will give me. I already have a good controller of the 12V (including keeping the starter battery topped up) in the Schaudt and all I really need is the regulator. Hence I have probably reached a different conclusion to you, but only if I fit a panel. The fixings are expensive, which is why I like the ali ones.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The Varta and Banner seem expensive. Does that make them better?? Cheaper are Lucas and Numax - has anybody has any experience of those please?

We fitted two of these a couple of years ago. (£100 for 2)

Link Removed
$(KGrHqIOKjwE08mNPR+0BNgMmIQk(Q~~_12.JPG

We also have an 80W solar panel running through a BM1 monitor

Link Removed

so we can keep a check on power in and out as well as battery condition.

We are fairly power hungry with 2 young boys onboard. Sometimes we are running 2 TV's and a sat TV receiver. we normally have 2 laptops, 2 iPads, 3 mobile phones as will as a PSP on the go. We have changed all lights to LED. We use the excess solar power for directly charging gadgets during the day.

In summertime we have managed over a week without any other power source except the batteries and the solar panel, could have done longer but we then moved on to another location. We also managed 5 days in Ullapool without hook up in March. including running blown air heating. and we were still getting a small charge form the solar panel. If off hook up we cook on gas.

First check your power needs, if you change to LED lighting and just have occasional TV, 2 batteries may well be enough, a solar panel will also help....

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Since getting our new van in June, I have been getting things to meet our requirements. I.E. A second leisure battery and an inverter, in the spring I will add some solar capacity, so have done some research.

My conclusions are...
Panels: I will go for two 100W panels, the long type rather than the wider shorter type as these are a better fit for the spaces available on the roof of our van. The 100W version also offers more bang for your buck. Especially when the fixings are considered.

Controller: Initially I thought the dual battery type would be the best as it would charge both the leisure and the starter batteries. Its default setting would put 90% of the charge to the leisure battery but switch its focus to the starter battery when the leisure one was full. However I have never had a problem with the starter battery so I now think I will opt for a more modern MPPT type controller, as these are more efficient on poor light conditions.

Fixings: Attaching the panel by glue seem the way to go as it avoids making holes in the roof. Sikaflex are the top adhesive brand, but have a confusing product range. I asked for their advice and they recommended Sikaflix 252 as the product to use. The actual plastic end or corner mounts are a considerable costs so factor these in when doing your costings.

Good Luck, report back on what you choose and how you get on.
Gordon
I used these on my own 3x100watt panels
I also use the mppt regulator
Link Removed
CA_02151313311245-L.jpg

CA_07071314420950-L.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.