LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Found this on Facebook today - very upsetting for the owners and dogs but how many of us are aware of the RAC's policy regarding recovering vehicles containing dogs?

"Do you have breakdown cover with the RAC? And do you have dogs?

Think you're going to be rescued if you break down? Think again.

Last night 3 ladies broke down on the M40. In their camper van they had 12 dogs. The dogs were contained in the van. The RAC refused to move the vehicle to safety because of the dogs being on board - not even to a nearby services. The van was parked on the hard shoulder in the darkness for THREE hours, until a lorry ran into it. 3 dogs died, several were running loose on the motorway. Two of the passengers were injured.

Today I have spoken to the RAC to clarify what my membership covers and they have told me it is at the discretion of the recovery driver if he chooses to recover the vehicle if there are dogs on board. Even if those dogs are secured or crated. The dogs don't have to pose a threat in any way, it's solely dependant on the person who comes out to you.

If you have RAC membership and own dogs, can I seriously suggest you speak to them, ask them to change their policies and until they do, look elsewhere for your cover."

Attachments

• M40 accident.jpg
    M40 accident.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 157
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
When our engine went bang our two jack Russell crosses had to travel
In our camper the recovery agent driver would not carry our dogs
In his cab .
Reason given boss wouldn't allow as the next passengers may be allergic to animal fur/smell can't disagree with that ,and that was via Rac arrival

Did call Rac and they confirmed they dont have to carry your animals
I assume all breakdown agents/companies will give a similar answer

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
That is a needless tragedy,how awful for those involved. :cry: I have 3 dogs and I am in the RAC very worried now, will contact them on Monday, any ideas for another recovery firm that will take dogs. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm with Mayday (green Flag) I wonder what their policy is? Anybody know?
I hope the RAC gets lots of adverse publicity, what a way to run a company by leaving it up to the driver, the mind boggles.
Cal

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
When our engine went bang our two jack Russell crosses had to travel
In our camper the recovery agent driver would not carry our dogs
In his cab .
Reason given boss wouldn't allow as the next passengers may be allergic to animal fur/smell can't disagree with that ,and that was via Rac arrival

Did call Rac and they confirmed they dont have to carry your animals
I assume all breakdown agents/companies will give a similar answer

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Not wanting to carry dogs in the Recovery Vehicle is one thing but refusing to recover a vehicle containing dogs is inexcusable IMO.
It's hardly putting the Recovery Driver's life in danger if he hauls the damn truck onto his flatbed with the dogs still inside is it?
If nothing else, it's putting the lives of the disabled vehicle's human occupants at risk which must surely be against RAC Company Policy? :Angry:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have always probed the details around this with recovery insurance, not just with the RAC, & have always been given the same reply. It is down tothe drivers discretion, end of.
I agree that they should have been towed to a place of safety, with the dogs left in the camper, but 12 dogs ? who would want 12 dogs in a camper & why?
By the way the most promising reply about this is from ADAC.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
but 12 dogs ? who would want 12 dogs in a camper & why?
Agreed, it must have been pretty cosy to say the least but that's irrelevant for me.
As far as I'm concerned they could have been on holiday with a lorry load of tarantulas, it's their life and their choice how they choose to live it but they should not have been left stranded in a potentially life threatening situation by a company whom they had employed to protect them.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Agreed, it must have been pretty cosy to say the least but that's irrelevant for me.
As far as I'm concerned they could have been on holiday with a lorry load of tarantulas, it's their life and their choice how they choose to live it but they should not have been left stranded in a potentially life threatening situation by a company whom they had employed to protect them.

I agree totally but it shows that it pays to read the small print in insurance policies. One of,but not the only, reason we switched to ADAC after 23 years with the RAC.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I agree totally but it shows that it pays to read the small print in insurance policies. One of,but not the only, reason we switched to ADAC after 23 years with the RAC.
I switched from RAC to MayDay two years ago but that was largely due to them keeping me and my knackered Harley waiting by the roadside for three hours before sending out completely the wrong vehicle to recover me.
I then had to wait a further two hours before the right one arrived to ferry me back home.
I called RAC a few days later to tell them I was cancelling my policy after many years as a loyal customer and going elsewhere.
I was asked why I was leaving and when I told the Operator about my experience she just said,"Oh, Ok then" and that was it.
No grovelling apology, no attempt at getting me to stay, nothing.
I felt soooooo unappreciated!! :cry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Same policy with all the clubs - they will look after the dogs needs, but when it comes to transporting, it is up to the drivers' discretion/contractors regulations.

They cannot come inside the recovery truck due to some passengers having allergies to animals, and there being no crating provisions for them inside, and space when the truck is full. That is standard rules, I had broken them on numerous occasions, only once getting a telling off, after then I tried to keep cab visitors to the non moulting type.

The only danger with keeping them in the vehicle - is keeping them in the vehicle!

If the dog is quiet, then it is fine. If the vehicle has dead-locking, it is fine. If you have a lively dog, or a dog that may get distressed you have more of a problem. In this situation, I have removed inner door handles to stop them inadvertently opening them.

This is the main issue - if a dog opens a door and escapes when on a moving lorry you could easily end up with a huge motorway pile up and a dead dog - all of which the driver is responsible for. In the situation where there is a large number of dogs, this becomes a serious issue. The solution would have been contacting the recovery company and calling for a vehicle/ taxi that would take them - this unfortunately takes time to organise.

The funniest dog-in-vehicle incident I had was a lab-cross which enjoyed taking the drivers seat of a VW camper and honking the horn constantly all the way home!:ROFLMAO:

Hardest one I had to deal with was a young lad with a form of agrophobia where it took 4 hours to persuade him out of the vehicle and into the truck. They asked if he could stay in, but couldn't do it for similar reasons - he was pretty hysterical, and if he bolted for the door to escape in a panic - all hell would break loose.

Difficult decisions to be made in these situations.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Happened to me.
Breakdown cover came with my insurance through comfort.
1st trip out with this MH and the water pump siezed on the mortorway, RAC guy said not to start engine as the fanbelt had stripped and gone up into the cambelt housing.
Tow truck came out and winched it on, 2 dogs not allowed in cab.
Stayed in MH, slept all the way back, there never a problem when travelling.

MH back to dealers and fixed without any hassle, and loaned us a car to get home.

Can't believe the camper was not pulled of the motorway.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I obviously don`t know the circumstances of the three ladies having twelve dogs, I do wonder if they were small show dogs and the ladies were travelling from a dog show, I know lots of doggie people use motor homes for this , for the facilities and space for the dogs.I cannot see them going to a camping site, as most have a limit on how many dogs you can take on a camp site, usually three.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I obviously don`t know the circumstances of the three ladies having twelve dogs, I do wonder if they were small show dogs and the ladies were travelling from a dog show, I know lots of doggie people use motor homes for this , for the facilities and space for the dogs.I cannot see them going to a camping site, as most have a limit on how many dogs you can take on a camp site, usually three.

Remember being at fleet services and a transit VC parked next to us. Quite surprised to count 8 dogs and 3 women all cramped in there! I take it they were dog show people - either than or they must have all been piled on top of each other at night!:ROFLMAO:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have always probed the details around this with recovery insurance, not just with the RAC, & have always been given the same reply. It is down tothe drivers discretion, end of.
I agree that they should have been towed to a place of safety, with the dogs left in the camper, but 12 dogs ? who would want 12 dogs in a camper & why?
By the way the most promising reply about this is from ADAC.
Who or what is/are ADAC please?

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We broke down with our dog on the way to the vets hospital in Bath and we were going to be late for our appointment, the very nice AA man took myself and the dog to the hospital and then went back to sort out my husband. Unable to fix at the roadside they collected the vehicle & then came back to the hospital to collect me and the dog and bought all of us home.

I felt that the AA in these circumstance went above and beyond :Smile:

Nicky

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
If it was company policy rather than the drivers discretion then it would be in the terms and condition of the policy rather than hidden in the small print of page 23, you then have a choice.
1. Don't take dogs.
2. Lie and hide the dog in the bathroom.
3. Call Teddybard and sell the dog, Teddybard will turn the dog into pies, feed everyone including the recovery driver, jobs a good'un.

jimire

Free Member
Mar 6, 2013
renfrewshire, scotland
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp

Saw on another forum. It seems they were going to a dog show.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If it was company policy rather than the drivers discretion then it would be in the terms and condition of the policy rather than hidden in the small print of page 23, you then have a choice.
1. Don't take dogs.
2. Lie and hide the dog in the bathroom.
3. Call Teddybard and sell the dog, Teddybard will turn the dog into pies, feed everyone including the recovery driver, jobs a good'un.

It is in the terms & conditions!

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I hope the RAC gets lots of adverse publicity, what a way to run a company by leaving it up to the driver, the mind boggles.
Cal

PRETTY MUCH THE SAME, discovered it in the very small print when I was looking for recovery deals

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Cal

Found this:

Green Flag say:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your E-mail, This is at the discretion of the garage that
attends to you at the time of breakdown. If you were to have a breakdown
when you call through to our control room you would need to inform them of
a pet travelling with you, we would then attempt to find a garage who are
comfortable with transporting the pet, however we cannot guarantee this.

I hope this is of assistance to you, if you have any further queries please
do not hesitate to contact us.'

whereas the RAC's stance is:

"Thank you for your email.

With regards to your dog & cat , our terms of membership state, if there are any
domestic animals in your vehicle, their onward transportation is at our discretion
and solely at your risk.

We will not insure any animals during any onward transportation.

Unless there is a safety issue, guide dogs for the blind will always be transported
with their owners.

I hope the above information is of help".

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Britannia Rescue will normally make you leave a dog in your van or car I used them once and the driver was a dog owner and he let Poppy Broken Link Removed travel like this in the lorry seats:ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The AA policy wording-

Transport of any animal is discretionary, and horses and livestock will not be recovered;

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Cal

We are covered by Mayday and have needed to call them while travelling with one pet dog. She was a medium sized Alsatian cross and very protective. When the driver went to the rear cab where Sue, the kids and the dog were to get his rear number plate the dog made it very clear she was looking after my family, with a low pitch growl (no more). The driver asked me to get his number plate. I apologised about the dog but he just laughed it off saying the dog is just doing her job.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think the excuse we can't do it because our next user might be allergic to animals is a bit thin. Peanut free drivers as well I suppose:RollEyes:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
"Unless there is a safety issue, guide dogs for the blind will always be transported
with their owners. "

That's that sorted then!

When the RAC man comes, put on some dark glasses and say your dog is a 'driving dog for the blind'!:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
"Unless there is a safety issue, guide dogs for the blind will always be transported
with their owners. "

That's that sorted then!

When the RAC man comes, put on some dark glasses and say your dog is a 'driving dog for the blind'!:thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think the excuse we can't do it because our next user might be allergic to animals is a bit thin. Peanut free drivers as well I suppose:RollEyes:

Not the same at all Jim. Asthma caused by allergies to animals can easily land people in hospital, as I can testify personally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back