LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you mean a Le Routier, then they serve a set lunch or evening meal. Lunch starts at 12 and finishes at 3. Evening meal starts at 7 and finishes at 10. Its normally a set menu with between 3 and 5 courses and includes wine at a set price of between 8 and 12 Euros. Coffee is extra. The best ones are on the arterial trunk routes in France and the best are only known to truckers. Some of the best I have ever been in are in the Bourgogne area. I have been known to spend a couple of days parked at a good one :Smile:. The best ever is in a small village called Arney le Duc on the old N6. If you are not parked up there by 5-30PM you will not get served.

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
:Doh:
If you mean a Le Routier, then they serve a set lunch or evening meal. Lunch starts at 12 and finishes at 3. Evening meal starts at 7 and finishes at 10. Its normally a set menu with between 3 and 5 courses and includes wine at a set price of between 8 and 12 Euros. Coffee is extra. The best ones are on the arterial trunk routes in France and the best are only known to truckers. Some of the best I have ever been in are in the Bourgogne area. I have been known to spend a couple of days parked at a good one :Smile:. The best ever is in a small village called Arney le Duc on the old N6. If you are not parked up there by 5-30PM you will not get served.

A good guide to a good Routier is a car park full of white work men's vans! :thumb: I hasten to add, that's white vans belonging to any work person lol!:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Having never been to a Relais Routier, any tips, suggestions?

I stopped many times at "Routiers" when I was a child travelling with my parents. Thye used to be the best place to have a huge home made meal and not expensive. With the increase of motorways , a lot have disappeared... shame indeed! But some are still there. Nowadays , mainly truckers stop at a routier for their lunch or evening meal. I have no idea how it goes on now......
Never ever try the Andouilette

It is allegedly a 'special' sausage

SPECIAL it certainly is

David

Ok David ... don't take it just for you, but your post is just the opportunity to say something about foreign cooking. Each person from each country has habits and tastes are made up from birth by the mum's way of cooking.
There's something very unfair about telling other people "Don't taste this".
I've always said to my children " Don't say it's bad/uneatable/disgusting. Just say "YOU don't like it".
I said the same to my best friend! We went to Scotland and because her daughter told her not to eat Haggis (disgusting, made with blahblahblah... while she never tried!!!!) and so my best friend would not listen to me and TRY!!!!
Please , don't say Andouillettes are no good , just say you have tried and didn't like them, that's all! Again , it's not just you .... but for once, I had to answer to this! I love food , and from all countries, but when I don't know .... I TRY! I don't care about other people's feeling, I am a big girl, big enough to made my mind up!

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

PS: Didn't even see Anna's post !!! But Anna ... I should have quoted your post too. Please let the people make their own mind about stuff!

PPS: Oh and ...BTW .... I don't like Andouillette but I love Haggis

Last edited:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
I stopped many times at "Routiers" when I was a child travelling with my parents. Thye used to be the best place to have a huge home made meal and not expensive. With the increase of motorways , a lot have disappeared... shame indeed! But some are still there. Nowadays , mainly truckers stop at a routier for their lunch or evening meal. I have no idea how it goes on now......

Ok David ... don't take it just for you, but your post is just the opportunity to say something about foreign cooking. Each person from each country has habits and tastes are made up from birth by the mum's way of cooking.
There's something very
unfair about telling other people "Don't taste this".

I've always said to my children " Don't say it's bad/uneatable/disgusting. Just say "YOU don't like it".
I said the same to my best friend! We went to Scotland and because her daughter told her not to eat Haggis (disgusting, made with blahblahblah... while she never tried!!!!) and so my best friend would not listen to me and TRY!!!!
Please , don't say
Andouillettes are no good , just say you have tried and didn't like them, that's all! Again , it's not just you .... but for once, I had to answer to this! I love food , and from all countries, but when I don't know .... I TRY! I don't care about other people's feeling, I am a big girl, big enough to made my mind up!

Amicalement

Ha ha Frankie, point taken! It was just a bit of light hearted banter!:winky:

You are, of course, correct about telling people they should try for themselves and I always told our children to do that......but, after tasting Andouillette, I think I would hesitate to have told them to try it mdr! And, yes, many people don't know how good our Scottish Haggis tastes ha ha!::bigsmile:

A wee story of when we first came to live in France....some lovely French people cooked us a super French meal and, yes, we were served Andouilette! My husband and I were at opposite ends of the table and I could see he was secretly feeding his Andouilette to our dog, who was under the table, next to him!

I never feed the dog at the table so he knew never to beg from me but, of course, my husband can't resist and so the dog always sat next to him at meal times. Oh how I wished I had the dog under my end of the table that day ha ha!:ROFLMAO:

We didn't feel able to say we didn't like the Andouilette because our French hosts had told us they had gone to a lot of effort to buy from a speciality butcher, whose shop was a long way from them and also told us that it was a great delicacy! :Doh:

Bisous
Anna

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree with Frankie. It is not possible to decide what you will like based on what someone else does or does not like. This year I went to Scotland for the first time and decided to try haggis. Recalling all I had heard about it I thought I'd just have a little taste to see what it was like. I was surprised to find that it was not just edible but I really enjoyed it and would be really keen to have more. As the saying goes 'don't knock it till you've tried it'

Wyn

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just to put me in the picture,(And a few more i bet:winky:). Does it taste like....Chicken ?:ROFLMAO:. Come on now, brief description,first the ingredients ,second a rough guide as to what it...MAY ?,taste like.
It would be rude of me to order this dish,and not eat it,however,i am NEVER going to be a contestant on,Get me out of here,but would feel obliged to sit there and eat it so as not to offend.
Tea Bag

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't worry too much about the taste Tea Bag - the look is enough to put me off!

Catherine

Attachments

• andouillette.jpg
    andouillette.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi.
Just to put me in the picture,(And a few more i bet:winky:). Does it taste like....Chicken ?:ROFLMAO:. Come on now, brief description,first the ingredients ,second a rough guide as to what it...MAY ?,taste like.
It would be rude of me to order this dish,and not eat it,however,i am NEVER going to be a contestant on,Get me out of here,but would feel obliged to sit there and eat it so as not to offend.
Tea Bag

It certainly didn't taste anything like chicken to me:roflmto: the smell alone put me off, however, I like you would have been, felt obliged to eat it.....the art was in keeping a straight face lol! :cry:
Anna
PS I'm sticking with eating Haggis! Best I've tasted was home made by a local French restaurant owner, on Burns night, after being let down by an English customer who had promised to bring some back for him and they didn't even have the courtesy to tell him until he spotted them passing a couple of days before the Burns Supper!:Sad:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I came onto this thread thinking it was a mispelling. Relais is a tech manufacturer so I thought this was about computer routers :ROFLMAO:

Anyway I agree with Frankie.

My ex is French and I learned a valuable lesson from her. NEVER NEVER NEVER, ask what the ingredients are of a dish. Taste it, taste it again then decide if you like it or not.

I tried frogs legs and snails. didn't like. However I do love horse. I love those little rings fried in goose fat. Turns out those little rings are pigs intestines but they are soooo delicious.

Andouillette is one of those things I have liked in some place but not in others. Sometime the smell makes me think twice but the flavour has always been good.

I love eating the those small road side cafes. Always healthy portions of great food and really good prices.:thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Please , don't say Andouillettes are no good , just say you have tried and didn't like them, that's all! Again , it's not just you .... but for once, I had to answer to this! I love food , and from all countries, but when I don't know .... I TRY! I don't care about other people's feeling, I am a big girl, big enough to made my mind up!

Amicalement

PPS: Oh and ...BTW .... I don't like Andouillette but I love Haggis[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no offence was intended, it was mainly tongue in cheek, but I accept your reaction / reply, possibly slightly better than you took my OP

However, although you are absolutely right that it is my opinion and should not have been taken as an instruction not to eat it.

My hope though is that a few more will now know when travelling through France, maybe stopping for a quick lunch, being told that Andouilette is 'sausage' they could be deeply disappointed and hungry when they leave, it is not a sausage as we would know it in Britain

It looks like a sausage, but when cut into mine looked like a scene from Alien, with slightly less blood. Try Andouilette in Google images

I would also accept that the variation in these across the country must be enormous and I might just have been really unlucky

David

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Amicalement

QuoteAbsolutely no offence was intended, it was mainly tongue in cheek, but I accept your reaction / reply, possibly slightly better than you took my OP

However, although you are absolutely right that it is my opinion and should not have been taken as an instruction not to eat it.

My hope though is that a few more will now know when travelling through France, maybe stopping for a quick lunch, being told that Andouilette is 'sausage' they could be deeply disappointed and hungry when they leave, it is not a sausage as we would know it in Britain

It looks like a sausage, but when cut into mine looked like a scene from Alien, with slightly less blood. Try Andouilette in Google images

I would also accept that the variation in these across the country must be enormous and I might just have been really unlucky

David[/QUOTE]

Here is a Photo for you David...Mel
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It certainly didn't taste anything like chicken to me:roflmto: the smell alone put me off, however, I like you would have been, felt obliged to eat it.....the art was in keeping a straight face lol! :cry:
Anna
PS I'm sticking with eating Haggis! Best I've tasted was home made by a local French restaurant owner, on Burns night, after being let down by an English customer who had promised to bring some back for him and they didn't even have the courtesy to tell him until he spotted them passing a couple of days before the Burns Supper!:Sad:

Anna Me Toooo I am sticking to Haggis :RollEyes:::bigsmile: Lovely....Andouillette is a No NO for us as well Anna...and David ....tried them several times ...and they seem to get worse not better...never again...but each to there own taste...Ok if you are brought up with them..

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh dear dear! It looks like with the second part of my post I somehow, hijacked Shifty's thread!

Very sorry Dave , didn't mean it , just jumped on the opportunity to open my big mouth once more:Blush:... I should start another thread may be... but I don't think it's really worth it. May be one last little one post to close the chapter: I was not offended at all David, not even a little bit as I feel just the same with any foreign food, and as I said , I don't like Andouillette. I do think it's quite special, and you have to forget about the smell... (I just can't, like you Catherine and Anna...), to be able to eat it ! It's just something I find a bit unfair wherever the food comes from. When coming back from England I was asked the same question over and over again:

How many kgs did you lose?
:Eeek: :Eeek: What do you mean?
Well English cooking is sooooo yuuuuuuk!
Nonsense! Have you been to the UK ?
No!
Did you ever taste any English food at all?
Errr...no, but everyone says blahblahblah!

I love English food, and I regularly put some 4 kgs on, because I'm a little piggy! I can't go pass a café without having an English breakfast, or a fish and chips shop without having one, even if I just had a meal! Everything I have tasted I just loved it. Been to Wales, ..same thing, been to Scotland same thing! Portugal Bis repetitas!!!
"French" doesn't mean "good" to me. There are a few things I can't eat. This is why I can't be offended, I'm an eater of the world's food, not just my country's.

Sorry again Dave. I did answer to your question though... Routier has always meant homemade quality to me , and lots in the plate. No idea what it looks like nowadays.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
None taken

Absolutely no offence taken, I think it is good to share, why discuss if you are not open to different opinion

After all we agree on most of what we have both said!!

Till next time

Au revoir

David

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Here is a Photo for you David...Mel
Broken Link Removed[/QUOTE]

Never has the 'like' option been less appropriate, so THANKS?? even that seems wrong

David

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Les Routiers

Hi all, back to the original topic, at least to start with.

My wife and I use Les Routiers from time to time and the procedure seems to vary.

In some, it is necessary to pay "up front" at the bar and the ticket each client is given is checked be the waitress. The wine, red, rosé or white is brought to the table in a carafe of a size to suit the number of diners at the table. The first course and the desert is often a self-serve buffet. The main course and the cheese are served at the table. As mentioned earlier in the thread, coffee is extra (usually).

In others, the whole meal is served at the table, wine included, and payment is made at the conclusion of the meal.

Now on to likes, not keen and dislikes of things I have tried since living in France.
Likes.
Riz de veau. Not going to tell you what it is - try googling it.
Moules (mussels) either in white wine or in a curry sauce.
Grenouilles (frogs legs)
Escargot (snails), but done in bread crumbs, just like breaded mushrooms.
Boudin noire (black pudding) especially with chestnut flavour

Not keen
Huitre (oysters)
No no no
Andouillette
Sea snails
As others have said, "try everything at least once". A couple of things I have developed a taste for, despite not being too keen the first time.

J

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A few things to add to the above list.
Boeuf Bourguignon in the Macon region.
Faux fillet in the Limousin region.
Moules and oysters around Le Pouliguen.
Not forgetting Cassoulet near Frankie.
And of course Bouillabaisse from Marseille.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete has concluded having personally researched the matter in the usual fashion that there are actually only two sorts of Andouillette - the ones he likes and the ones he doesn't!

Which is exactly the same as Gromett says about them.

Have to admit I've never tasted em either bad or good as I have always known what they are composed of and whilst I will eat and thoroughly enjoy all sorts of red meaty type offal, it reminds me of my mother boiling up 'lights' for the dog - or was it the cat? Awful pong anyway.

Snowbird, fill yer boots in Marseilles all you like. I loathe both Bouillabaisse and Paella - despite both smelling absolutely gorgeous. Just taste far, far too fishy for me.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Another favourite Routier which I spent many a weekend at when doing the Italian run and of which any ex European drivers will know well and have fond memories of was the "Bakehouse" at St Cyr sur Menthon on the RN from Macon to Bourg en Bresse.
Not forgetting the infamous "Cabbage Patch" and of course "Momas" :winky:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ha ha Frankie, point taken! It was just a bit of light hearted banter!:winky:

You are, of course, correct about telling people they should try for themselves and I always told our children to do that......but, after tasting Andouillette, I think I would hesitate to have told them to try it mdr! And, yes, many people don't know how good our Scottish Haggis tastes ha ha!::bigsmile:

A wee story of when we first came to live in France....some lovely French people cooked us a super French meal and, yes, we were served Andouilette! My husband and I were at opposite ends of the table and I could see he was secretly feeding his Andouilette to our dog, who was under the table, next to him!

I never feed the dog at the table so he knew never to beg from me but, of course, my husband can't resist and so the dog always sat next to him at meal times. Oh how I wished I had the dog under my end of the table that day ha ha!:ROFLMAO:

We didn't feel able to say we didn't like the Andouilette because our French hosts had told us they had gone to a lot of effort to buy from a speciality butcher, whose shop was a long way from them and also told us that it was a great delicacy! :Doh:

Bisous
Anna
Is that the sausage made with DONKEY meat? BUSBY:roflmto:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Have to admit I've never tasted em either bad or good as I have always known what they are composed of and whilst I will eat and thoroughly enjoy all sorts of red meaty type offal, it reminds me of my mother boiling up 'lights' for the dog - or was it the cat? Awful pong.

Oh yes, you're right re smelling like lights! I remember my mother sending me to the butchers for lights for our cat! They were free and even although my father cooked them outside on a Primus stove, you could still smell them inside (bet the neighbours loved us lol!). Then KiteKat came on the market in small tins but I can still remember the smell of those years of lights :cry:
Anna

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Many years ago (back in the 70s) a friend and I rode our motorbikes down through France and spent a week camping near Marseille before returning home. Our budget was limited and as we had read about the Relais Routiers we decided to have a nice meal every other night at one of these and on alternate nights we cooked over our Bleuet stove - well when I say cooked it was usually a tin of something or even just a Cup a soup with some bread and cheese.

The meals were certainly good value at the Routiers - but I too came unstuck with "sausage", expecting something akin to a British one and totally unprepared for the stink from an Andouillette. No way could I eat that! Another stink (or rather taste) I found I hated was goat's cheese - although I love most cheeses I can't abide the musty taste of a well matured goat's cheese. Luckily most of the restaurants had something more palateable on the cheese board as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back